GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

QTP Electric Cutout Install

Hoon

Autocross Champion
ACE recently started an E-cutout thread, so i'm going to post up my own install in the event of it being useful for others.

If you're thinking "installing an E-cutout sounds like a pain in the d**k" you would be correct.

I'm not going to get too much into the tools used, but a cutoff tool, die grinder w/ quality carbide burr (not some harbor freight bit), welder for stainless, and basic set of hand tools would be required at the minimum. If you weld on the vehicle, always remember to disconnect the battery. If you use brake cleaner for prep, be sure it is non-chlorinated so you don't die a horrible death (chlorine + argon = phosgene gas).

The first thing to be aware of is that you need a foot of clearance to install one of these cutouts. The 2.5" cutout itself is roughly 9.5" long and the cord comes straight out the back, so figure another 1/2" to 1" there. Then keep in mind the exhaust is rubber mounted and moves around, so you want at LEAST an extra inch of clearance around all sides. This brings you to about a foot.

To install one right off the downpipe can definitely be done, but if you attempt this you're in for a project. If you think i'm kidding, take a look at the one DAP came up with for their shop car.

Personally, i do not see the added work being worthwhile. A 2.5" pipe will out-flow an IS20 or IS38 by A LOT. Will a 3" right off the DP be best? Yes. Worth it? I personally don't think so.

With me not being willing to fab a setup to fit within the tunnel, the next best place is after the resonator. The resonator is straight through, so that's not a restriction. The stock exhaust goes around the fuel tank (which is on the passenger's side), and there is a large open space just in front of the drivers rear tire. Being lowered, one of my personal needs is minimal loss of ground clearance, so this location was ideal.

When i ordered the QTP kit, i ordered an extra dump tube for flexibility on the install. I chose to use two dump tubes instead of the y-pipe included in the kit, which allowed me to better locate the unit and keep it more compact.

After screwing around under the car for awhile, i had my location chosen. The first step was to start cutting the dump tube to fit up to the outside of the elbow on the stock exhaust.

Once i had a rough fit-up done between my dump tube and the factory elbow, i tacked it in place to verify fit, and marked it with a sharpie.

IMO it's quicker and easier to drop the exhaust and weld it on the ground than to screw around with it on the car. I'm using a TIG, the quality is important to me, and i'd rather take the time to drop the catback than try to TIG weld overhead.

At that point i dropped the exhaust, cut a hole in the elbow with a cutoff tool, and used a die grinder to open up the hole as needed. I would not attempt this with a dremel or a cheap bit. You're grinding away stainless steel that has seen hundreds of heat cycles. A die grinder and a carbide burr are required IMO.

Once i had a good fit, i welded the two together (be sure to put the flange on before you do this). Even though all the components and filler are stainless, i still hit it with a quick coat of ceramic header paint on the weld.

After that just bolt the exhaust up, bolt the cutout on, mess with the orientation until it fits best, and then the wiring begins. It's just a power and a ground, but i ran out of time today. I'll wire it up next weekend. I haven't decided where the switch is going yet.

So far i have about 6 hours into this, but i'm a perfectionist so took my time with test fitting, spent a few hours grinding away at the dump tube and the stock exhaust to get everything perfect, etc.

The flanges do not leak, but the cutout itself has a very slight leak (they all do this regardless of brand). If you put your hand over the dump you can feel it, but it's very slight and not enough to be heard from in/around the car.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looks good

I'd like to do this but would rather reroute the exhaust back into the system post muffler rather than dumped at the ground. There really isn't enough room with my current set up tho

ACE2

Ready to race!
Lmao I'm glad I found this thread! Mine went dead. I just bought the whole wireless setup kit from qtp just waiting for it to ship now!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ACE2

Ready to race!
It looks very clean and good man! Wish I had your skills for this job lol...looking forward to your wiring process as I'm very curious on this!

ACE2

Ready to race!
ACE recently started an E-cutout thread, so i'm going to post up my own install in the event of it being useful for others.

If you're thinking "installing an E-cutout sounds like a pain in the d**k" you would be correct.

I'm not going to get too much into the tools used, but a cutoff tool, die grinder w/ quality carbide burr (not some harbor freight bit), welder for stainless, and basic set of hand tools would be required at the minimum. If you weld on the vehicle, always remember to disconnect the battery. If you use brake cleaner for prep, be sure it is non-chlorinated so you don't die a horrible death (chlorine + argon = phosgene gas).

The first thing to be aware of is that you need a foot of clearance to install one of these cutouts. The 2.5" cutout itself is roughly 9.5" long and the cord comes straight out the back, so figure another 1/2" to 1" there. Then keep in mind the exhaust is rubber mounted and moves around, so you want at LEAST an extra inch of clearance around all sides. This brings you to about a foot.

To install one right off the downpipe can definitely be done, but if you attempt this you're in for a project. If you think i'm kidding, take a look at the one DAP came up with for their shop car.

Personally, i do not see the added work being worthwhile. A 2.5" pipe will out-flow an IS20 or IS38 by A LOT. Will a 3" right off the DP be best? Yes. Worth it? I personally don't think so.

With me not being willing to fab a setup to fit within the tunnel, the next best place is after the resonator. The resonator is straight through, so that's not a restriction. The stock exhaust goes around the fuel tank (which is on the passenger's side), and there is a large open space just in front of the drivers rear tire. Being lowered, one of my personal needs is minimal loss of ground clearance, so this location was ideal.

When i ordered the QTP kit, i ordered an extra dump tube for flexibility on the install. I chose to use two dump tubes instead of the y-pipe included in the kit, which allowed me to better locate the unit and keep it more compact.

After screwing around under the car for awhile, i had my location chosen. The first step was to start cutting the dump tube to fit up to the outside of the elbow on the stock exhaust.

Once i had a rough fit-up done between my dump tube and the factory elbow, i tacked it in place to verify fit, and marked it with a sharpie.

IMO it's quicker and easier to drop the exhaust and weld it on the ground than to screw around with it on the car. I'm using a TIG, the quality is important to me, and i'd rather take the time to drop the catback than try to TIG weld overhead.

At that point i dropped the exhaust, cut a hole in the elbow with a cutoff tool, and used a die grinder to open up the hole as needed. I would not attempt this with a dremel or a cheap bit. You're grinding away stainless steel that has seen hundreds of heat cycles. A die grinder and a carbide burr are required IMO.

Once i had a good fit, i welded the two together (be sure to put the flange on before you do this). Even though all the components and filler are stainless, i still hit it with a quick coat of ceramic header paint on the weld.

After that just bolt the exhaust up, bolt the cutout on, mess with the orientation until it fits best, and then the wiring begins. It's just a power and a ground, but i ran out of time today. I'll wire it up next weekend. I haven't decided where the switch is going yet.

So far i have about 6 hours into this, but i'm a perfectionist so took my time with test fitting, spent a few hours grinding away at the dump tube and the stock exhaust to get everything perfect, etc.

The flanges do not leak, but the cutout itself has a very slight leak (they all do this regardless of brand). If you put your hand over the dump you can feel it, but it's very slight and not enough to be heard from in/around the car.
Can I ask where you wired it too? Or more specifically how you wired it thru the bottom of the car?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Can I ask where you wired it too? Or more specifically how you wired it thru the bottom of the car?

Haven't yet, I won't have any time to touch the car until Sunday.

I'll post up what I do. I'm thinking a switch bracket under the seat so I don't have to drill any panels.

The cutout draws less than an amp so I might use the seat as a power source. Don't want to wire direct to the battery for such a small draw.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So just to update this for those who wanted to see how i chose to wire it...

The cutout draws less than an amp, so i had no interest in adding complication and additional wiring by running direct to the battery for such a low draw.

Most heated seat circuits are 3-5 amps. I did not bother to look up how many amps the one in my GTI is...i don't care, it's far more than needed.

I unbolted the seat and found the main power source, which is the wire in the seat harness closest to the gas pedal (red wire with black stripe):

After that, I removed the undertray on the driver's side and found a rubber plug at nearly the right location.

I removed the plug (which is glued in place) and stuck a stiff piece of wire through, sure enough had no issues getting to the seat from there:

After that i cut the wire for the cutout to remove about 9 feet of extra wire.

I drilled a 5/32 hole in the plug (tight fit), ran the wire through, put a little Ultra Gray (what i had lying around) on the plug and the wire to seal everything up:

After that i soldered and heat shrunk the QTP wire back together, ran a T-tap with a male disconnect from the positive side to the power source for the seat, put a terminal on the ground side and just put it on one of the seat bolts. Because these connections are in the interior they do not need to be weather-proof.

I had every intention of making a bracket for the switch because i did not want to drill any interior panels, but i'll probably just leave it. Its accessible, doesn't move around or make any noise under the seat.

To remove it, all i would have to do is buy a new $5 rubber plug for the under-body, and no one would ever know anything had been touched.

You can only see it with the seat all the way back:

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
To revive this I'm thinking about doing this but I don't know what size to order to mate with the stock piping. Am I supposed to go 2.25 or do the 2.5 ones assume it needs to be tapered??

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To revive this I'm thinking about doing this but I don't know what size to order to mate with the stock piping. Am I supposed to go 2.25 or do the 2.5 ones assume it needs to be tapered??

OEM is 2.5”

No it does not need to be reduced or tapered for any reason, maybe I’m missing what you’re getting at with that question

Johnswarley

Do you have any sound clips of this cut out? I have. 3.5inch cts catted downpipe and Ive been thinking of installing a cut out.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
So what's the dyno show as far as benefits? Is it 0? I bet it's 0.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk