GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I mean I put a ding in my rocker panel (minor, but my fault) and im still besides myself, esp since VOTEX side skirts went EOL. They would have covered it perfectly.

I can tell you right now I wouldn't be handling it as well as you. Best of luck, and keep us looped in.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Still waiting to get the GTI back. Spoke with the Autobody shop yesterday and they told me it should be ready to go mid next week!

In the meantime, I took a nice top down drive in the Miata last night. Not sure how many nice days we have left around here so taking full advantage.

That looks great. What year, mileage, etc.? Can't get over how sharp it is.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
That looks great. What year, mileage, etc.? Can't get over how sharp it is.
Thanks! Yeah I'm in love with it. Such a fun car to drive as well. It's a 2017. Only 17k miles. Comes with the BBS wheels and brembo BBK as an optional package from the factory. Previous owner had it ceramic coated so it cleans up good!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Had some winter goodies for the GTI arrive in the mail today! Can't wait to put these on once I get the car back and make a few runs up north with the snowboard this winter. Does anyone have any experience installing these on a two door? It looks like the rear brackets may be a bit more tricky than on a 4-dr.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Still waiting for my car to be finished at Mike's of Malden... it has now been almost a month since I dropped it off and they haven't given me a single phone call or email update outside of the initial estimate they provided (based on pictures I sent them of the car prior to dropping it off). I've emailed them and called several times for updates and spoken to only their front desk person who was unable to determine whether there was mechanical damage, whether the repairs matched their original estimate or differed in any way, or even when I can expect the car to be finished. Each time I've called they've given me a date a week later than the last one... At this point, I would not recommend dealing with them if any of you have a choice in the future.

Hopefully the finished product will justify the inconvenience and headache 😡

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Sorry to hear that man. May be time to head over there in person...
Seriously. I'm about to. If the car isn't done tomorrow I'm gonna pay them a visit.
may be abit late but, If you plan to keep tracking the car then why bother with such an expensive repair while you are very likely to have another runoff if you keep tracking.. replace the headlight and Just buff it out.
Decided to no longer track the car. As fun as it was to lap the GTI, these cars aren't really engineered for the track. The Miata will be seeing most of the track time moving forward.

That being said, the GTI is a practical car and plenty fun for daily duties and I'm hoping to own and enjoy it for a long time.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Seriously. I'm about to. If the car isn't done tomorrow I'm gonna pay them a visit.

Decided to no longer track the car. As fun as it was to lap the GTI, these cars aren't really engineered for the track. The Miata will be seeing most of the track time moving forward.

That being said, the GTI is a practical car and plenty fun for daily duties and I'm hoping to own and enjoy it for a long time.
Autox doesn't count as the track, hopefully that's still on the table!

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT

Can't wait to hear how it does on the track.

I got a few laps in at Canaan as a passenger in a slightly modded 2018 M2 (lower but softer suspension and RE71's) and was amazed at how it drove. The driver had a lot to do with it of course but it just felt so stable and solid. I'm loving the GTI but maybe a few years down the road, I'll upgrade to something RWD for the weekend/track. Doesn't have to be my daily and the M2 is so popular on track days for a reason and I'm still German car fanboy at heart. The Mustangs, Camaros and Vettes are also amazing performers but just don't do it for me.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Autox doesn't count as the track, hopefully that's still on the table!
Definitely still hoping to run the GTI for some autoX days! Still have a set of brand new 200tw tires in the garage that we can't let go to waste... ;)

Can't wait to hear how it does on the track.

I got a few laps in at Canaan as a passenger in a slightly modded 2018 M2 (lower but softer suspension and RE71's) and was amazed at how it drove. The driver had a lot to do with it of course but it just felt so stable and solid. I'm loving the GTI but maybe a few years down the road, I'll upgrade to something RWD for the weekend/track. Doesn't have to be my daily and the M2 is so popular on track days for a reason and I'm still German car fanboy at heart. The Mustangs, Camaros and Vettes are also amazing performers but just don't do it for me.
I thought about an M2C, but the crank hub issues scared me away. I've always been a fan of German cars as well and have dreamed of owning an e30 3 series at some point in my life. Was also considering the GT350 for a while, but those heavier cars are just so expensive to run (and the voodoo V8's oil consumption was a bit worrying for me).

I'm hoping the Miata will be a good platform to learn on. It is well engineered, cheap to run, and doesn't require many changes to handle a large volume of track days (as long as you stick to 200tw tires). I'm planning to get a set of wider wheels 17x9 and some REs or a052s and just get a ton of seat time over the next couple of years. Dream car at some point would be an Evora GT but slightly (i.e. extremely) out of my price range at the moment.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Definitely still hoping to run the GTI for some autoX days! Still have a set of brand new 200tw tires in the garage that we can't let go to waste... ;)

I thought about an M2C, but the crank hub issues scared me away. I've always been a fan of German cars as well and have dreamed of owning an e30 3 series at some point in my life. Was also considering the GT350 for a while, but those heavier cars are just so expensive to run (and the voodoo V8's oil consumption was a bit worrying for me).

I'm hoping the Miata will be a good platform to learn on. It is well engineered, cheap to run, and doesn't require many changes to handle a large volume of track days (as long as you stick to 200tw tires). I'm planning to get a set of wider wheels 17x9 and some REs or a052s and just get a ton of seat time over the next couple of years. Dream car at some point would be an Evora GT but slightly (i.e. extremely) out of my price range at the moment.

I watched in awe as a couple in their late 60's maybe even 70's drive two Lotus Evora's at Palmer in the advanced group. They trailered the vehicles and both had HANS type devices. She religiously checked tire pressures after every session. Really fun to watch.

When I was a teenager in the 80's, it was the E30 M3 and Merc 190E that caught my eye. They were the dream car for me as well.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I watched in awe as a couple in their late 60's maybe even 70's drive two Lotus Evora's at Palmer in the advanced group. They trailered the vehicles and both had HANS type devices. She religiously checked tire pressures after every session. Really fun to watch.

When I was a teenager in the 80's, it was the E30 M3 and Merc 190E that caught my eye. They were the dream car for me as well.
Wow, that's pretty badass! That is definitely the dream. There are so many cool Evoras available in Europe - I'm hoping they make their way to our market eventually. The GT 430 and Sport 410 are pretty amazing cars.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Finally have some good news to report (sort of).

Got the car back yesterday and new panels look great. The shop made things right with me by reaching out directly over the weekend with some pictures, a phone call, and updates. They also repainted my rear hatch (which had a couple chips in it) for free and agreed to pick up the tab for my detail and ceramic for the new panels which is booked for two weeks from now.

Got a dash light for "left brake light and blinker" as soon as I left the lot though and confirmed the light is out. Going to take apart the assembly after the holiday to see if it is something easily solvable (loose connection, etc.).

Alignment scheduled for next Thursday and detail/ceramic to follow shortly. Will get you all some pics soon. Be safe and have a great holiday.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Taking some time to get the brake light issue figured out. Disassembled and removed bulb, no corrosion and filament looked fine, reinstalled and still having issues. It's been intermittent since then, guessing it may be a short somewhere along the line. Bringing it by the shop to have them try and sort it out.

In the meantime, my shifter has been giving me issues getting into reverse. Anyone ever had problems with this? It happens to me during cold weather and usually gets better when the car is warm. Hoping cables need to be realigned but unsure. Could also have something to do with metal shifter bracket or bushings 🤷‍♂️

Add it to the list.