GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Background & Build Notes:
Hi everyone. I purchased my 2016 GTI 6MT S second hand in May 2018 with 22k miles. The car has the Lighting Package and is non-PP (smaller brakes and open-diff). I searched high and low for a 2-dr with the cloth Clark seats and no sunroof, and eventual found one listed for sale here on the forums in NYC, flew down, and drove it back home to Boston. I currently live in East Boston and work downtown so space is at a premium. I am fortunate enough to have a garage space at my building but have had to get creative with car washes and maintenance.

The car is serving dual duties as both a practical daily vehicle (to and from the grocery store, up to the mountains on the weekends, and down to the South Shore to visit family) and as an occasional track and autocross toy (I also own an ND Miata). Thankfully, it is not commuter driven so miles tend to be either spirited highway or cruising around town.

My goal for the build is to balance street and track performance so that the car can hold its own on a road or autocross course but is not uncomfortable to cruise around town in during the weekends. I will likely maintain stock ride height (because Boston) but stiffen the suspension and tweak the weight distribution to make the handling more compliant and responsive on the track.

This is my third VW and the first forced-induction car I have ever owned (previously owned two separate Mk IVs, both VR6s - a 12V GTI and a 24V GLI). I'm working with Auto Engineering in Lexington, MA as the primary tech for general advice and more complicated installations, but am doing most of the maintenance items myself. Dylan and the whole team at AE have been fantastic and I would highly recommend them.

I'll do my best to keep this thread as current as possible. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to reach out. I look forward to connecting with the community and am super excited to build and drive this car!

As Purchased:

Current Build:

Engine:
APR Stage 2 ECU Tune, Closed Intake, TIP, Downpipe, and Non-Resonated Exhaust
Integrated Engineering Intercooler and Turbo Muffler Delete
BFI Stage 2 Engine/Transmission Mounts
034 Dogbone Insert

Brakes:
Front: APR 6-Piston BBK with 350x34 Rotors and SS Brake Lines
Rear: 272x10 EBC Rear Rotors, Yellow Stuff Pads and SS Brake Lines

Transmission:
Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit
Fluidampr Crankshaft Pulley
iAbed Rear Main Seal
ECS Clutch Bleeder Block
BFI Weighted Shift Knob
IE Billet Shifter Bracket and Bushings
Rennline 4-Piece Pedal Set w/ Throttle Extension

Suspension:
Neuspeed Race Series RSB 27mm + Endlinks

Wheels/Tires:
Track: Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 ET45, Tire Streets Accelera 651 Sport 235/40/18
Winter: Austin 18x7.5 ET49, Michelin PA4 225/40/18

Wish List:
New Street Wheels/Tires: Possibly VMR V802s 18x8.5 ET45, Michelin MPS4S 235/40/18
Superpro Front LCAs and adjustable front/rear anti-roll bars + endlinks

2021 Track Schedule:
Mar 27 - SCDA @ Lime Rock Car Control Clinic & HPDE

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Round 1 (23,000 miles)

First round of changes 1000k miles after purchase.

Tires
Replaced the stock A/S Potenzas with Michelin PSS 225/40ZR18 to fit the 18" Austins. Planning to run dedicated summer and winter wheel/tire setups. Very happy with the MPSS so far; tires are much "grippier", harder to break loose under WOT, stable at high speeds, and very quiet. My mechanic also let me know that the Austins were flawless (no bends or deformation, which is rare given Boston's terrible roads and infrastructure). In hindsight, I should have bought a wider sized tire 235 or even 245, due to the fact that I'm now eyeing lighter and wider (8.5") wheels. Konig Ampliforms or RSe10s sometime in 2019...?

Intercooler
Decided to move forward with an aftermarket intercooler in order to decrease ambients and reduce heatsoak in the summer months. After researching the available options, I decided on a drop-in replacement rather than a FM option as they seemed more efficient (although I really liked the aggressive look of the FMICs out there). Integrated Engineering's IC had excellent reviews (here on the forum and elsewhere) and looked to be well designed, almost over-engineered with a perfect fit. Had it installed and am very happy with the results so far (noticeably more high end power and more audible turbo and intake noise). Oil temps now recover faster from hard pulls.

BFI Weighted Shift Knob
More of a cosmetic choice for the interior. Knob feels noticeably more substantial in-hand (stock shifter is hollow). Am very happy with how this turned out. Check out my install thread for pics.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42637

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Oil Change Intervals, Viscosity and True Synthetics

Been doing a lot of research on motor oil types, viscosities, and change intervals for the MK7 GTI. Through it's first 20k miles, the car has had the oil changed every 5k with the VW 502.00 approved 5W-40 Castrol Edge Synthetic. I'm leaning towards a 0W-40 viscosity with the same interval (would rather spend money to change more frequently as a safety precaution than test the limits here) moving forward.

0W vs 5W for better low temp viscosity and because I've found through research on this forum and elsewhere that most motor oil companies use higher quality base stocks for their 0Ws than for their 5W blends. Based on the MSDS safety sheets I've taken a look at, this seems to be the case, but is extremely hard to prove.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/synthoil-energy-a40-sae-0w-40-3.html

Will likely use LiquiMoly's 2050 synthetic 0W-40 moving forward based on positive reviews and (perceived) quality of their base stock.

Open to opinions on this, feel free to weigh in.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Round 2 (24,000 miles)

Parts ordered and install scheduled for round 2 of modifications. Everything going in the week of July 16th.

Engine/Trans Mounts
Decided on BFI's Stage 2 mounts. I'm fine with experiencing more NVH for a stiffer, more mounted, engine/trans and less slop. For me it is well worth the tradeoff. The 034 dogbone insert has been great so far, but I'd feel more comfortable launching the car or for long WOT pulls with more aggressive mounts to limit stress on the drivetrain.

Turbo Inlet Pipe
Going with APR's turbo inlet pipe to match the intake. Didn't seem like there was a huge difference in TIPs on the market from a performance perspective and have had a good experience w APR thus far.

Turbo Muffler Delete
Went with IE. Yes, I know... this is a pointless mod from a HP/TQ perspective, but figured it'd be worth having installed while battery/intake are removed. Hoping this produces a more audible turbo spool. Decided on IE because I've been very impressed with the fitment, build quality, and performance of their IC.

Shifter Bushings
Also went with IE, for the reasons listed above. Swapping stock (rubber?) bushings and OEM bracket for billet aluminum pieces. Hopefully less likelihood for missed (or money) shifts.

Clutch
I have not experienced any slippage on the stock clutch so far (although I've been very careful not to apply WOT at low RPMs in 6th gear) but figured I'd swap and break-in a new clutch before going Stage 2 (full TBE planned for beginning of 2019).

Researching clutch kits on this forum led me to the DKM Stage 3 twin disk. After discussing with my mechanic and weighing the pros and cons of the available kits on the market, I decided to go in a different direction. Instead, I will be moving forward with the Southbend/DXD Stage 2 Endurance Kit which is rated for 465 ft/lbs of torque. I realize this will probably be a bit of a controversial decision based on the experience some forum members have had with Southbend, but was willing to take the plunge based on the recommendation of my mechanic, his comfort with installing these kits, and DXD's strong reputation for longevity/durability. Also, to be honest, I was worried that running a clutch that was too aggressive would cause me to wear it out prematurely, based on bad driving habits, etc.

Crankshaft Pulley
I will be pairing the new clutch with a Fluidampr Crankshaft Pulley. I'm hoping this will help reduce some of the chatter associated with the SMFW and improve longevity. Time will tell...

Last edited:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Clutch
All research on this forum led me to DKM Stage 3 twin disk kit. I have not experienced any slippage on the stock clutch so far (although I've been very careful not to apply WOT at low RPMs in 6th gear). Figured I'd swap and break-in a new clutch before going Stage 2 (full TBE planned for beginning of 2019). After discussing with my mechanic and weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to go in a different direction. Planning on Southbend/DXD Stage 2 Endurance which is rated for 450 ft/lbs of torque. I realize this will probably be a bit of a controversial decision based on the experience some forum members have had with Southbend, but was willing to take the plunge based on the recommendation of my mechanic, the company's strong reputation for longevity/durability and the fact that DKM's stage 3 kit was likely overkill for what I need for this build. Also, to be honest, was worried that running a clutch that was too aggressive would cause me to wear it out prematurely, based on bad driving habits, etc. Anyways, I will be paring the clutch with a Fluidampr Crankshaft Pulley that will be installed at the same time so hoping this will help reduce some of the chatter associated with the SMFW. Time will tell...

I'll be in the clutch process soon! I was also torn between Southbend Endurance, DKM Stage 2 and DKM Twin disk. But ultimately decided on DKM Stage 2 after a few e-mail exchanges with DKM/Competition Clutch. They said that the stage 2 clutch is rated for 450WTQ and the price is much less than SB.

I was able to get the clutch and Fluidampr for the price of a Southbend. Hopefully arrives soon so I can get it installed.

Though I was able to drive a GTI with Southbend Stage 2 daily for a little bit. The pedal is firm, definitely heavier than stock but not unbearable. Very easy to modulate and not too bad in traffic. SMFW felt great, revs fast and also dropped fast, didn't hear much chatter honestly.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I'll be in the clutch process soon! I was also torn between Southbend Endurance, DKM Stage 2 and DKM Twin disk. But ultimately decided on DKM Stage 2 after a few e-mail exchanges with DKM/Competition Clutch. They said that the stage 2 clutch is rated for 450WTQ and the price is much less than SB.

I was able to get the clutch and Fluidampr for the price of a Southbend. Hopefully arrives soon so I can get it installed.

Though I was able to drive a GTI with Southbend Stage 2 daily for a little bit. The pedal is firm, definitely heavier than stock but not unbearable. Very easy to modulate and not too bad in traffic. SMFW felt great, revs fast and also dropped fast, didn't hear much chatter honestly.

Nice! Good luck with the clutch install and break-in. It sounds like both options should have no issue holding torque to the wheels with our current setups and build plans.

Great feedback on the SB Stage 2 Daily. I did not have a chance to test drive the Endurance option so made the decision based on others' reviews/recommendations and youtube videos. Hoping the chatter isn't too bad, but honestly it was not a deal breaker for me. Everything is a trade-off. Hoping the pros outweigh the cons but only time (and mileage with the new kit) will tell.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Autocross Day

Had my first autocross day over the weekend in Ayer, MA. Attended Evo's Phase One AutoX School which went all day from 700AM to 500PM. Had an absolute blast and was super impressed with how the GTI performed on the course. Had 20 runs, 10 of which were with an instructor (as well as several more that were instructor driven to demonstrate how to navigate the course and what sort of times to expect).

The course was relatively quick and consisted of an opening slalom, carousel, sweeper, Chicago box and a couple of high speed gates into the finish. My times improved throughout the day from 36.739 seconds in run 1 to 30.896 in run 12 and finishes in the 31.xxx range the remainder of the day. I ran 40 PSI on all tires (which increased to around 45 with the heat by the end of the day) and 225/40 18XL MPSS on the stock 7.5 Austin wheels.

All things considered, I had a great time, feel like I learned a lot, and became 1000% more comfortable behind the wheel. I'm looking forward to attending more events later this year (especially with the new clutch)! Will buy a mount for my go-pro for next time so that I'm able to post some footage.

I would highly recommend Evo to anyone looking to build or improve their autocross skills. Instruction was great as someone brand new, but there were 24 attendees total of all skill levels and car types (including a brand new KIA Stinger, several 911 turbos, 2 or 3 Miatas, a WRX, STI, and handful of BMWs & Audis.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Enjoyed the details.
Hats off to you driving daily in Boston traffic.
Like the white!

Thanks, Sandman. Loved reading through you're build thread! Your car's looking clean. I'm gonna have to do a bit of scrubbing to get the cone marks off my front fender sometime this week :p

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Southbend Stage 2 Endurance & Fluidampr/Thoughts

Had a bunch of parts installed yesterday and drove the car for the first time this morning. Parts listed below.

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit
Fluidampr Crank Pulley
BFI Stage 2 Engine/Trans Mounts
APR Turbo Inlet Pipe
IE Turbo Muffler Delete

Initial thoughts after first 15 minute drive (mix of highway and city); pedal feel is probably 50% heavier with a lower engagement point. Love the way it feels, was very easy to adjust to. Engine revs more freely and smoothly making rev matching downshifts a breeze. Clutch chatter at idle is very subtle (see video below). BFI mounts increased NVH considerably but car feels much more planted during down shifts especially into lower gears (1,2). The car is definitely noisier during city driving and at slower speeds. I believe this is clutch noise, but not sure as this is the first time I have driven a SMFW.

Haven't put car under heavy boost or throttle due to clutch break in, so no feedback at this time on muffler delete and TIP. Will have more for you all soon. Got my go pro mount in the mail over the weekend so should have some inside-the-cabin driving videos up soon. In the meantime, here is a short video of clutch chatter at idle with the AC off. There was construction taking place just outside my garage so couldn't capture much from outside the car.

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Cold Start

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Warm Idle Chatter

Let me know if there is anything else you would find helpful.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Hey buddy thanks for stopping by and showing love!! I'm jealous of your white paintjob! Super clean build so far brotha.

Can't wait to see more!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hey buddy thanks for stopping by and showing love!! I'm jealous of your white paintjob! Super clean build so far brotha.

Can't wait to see more!

Appreciate the note! Couple short road trips coming up later this month (and early next) to help shorten the clutch break-in process.

Ceramic coating scheduled for next week. Will post pics.

The Tax Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Great progress so far! Can't wait to see what you keep doing, especially since its white like mine! I too am thinking of getting some bronze wheels, just can't decide on which ones...

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Great progress so far! Can't wait to see what you keep doing, especially since its white like mine! I too am thinking of getting some bronze wheels, just can't decide on which ones...

Thanks!! I think we picked the right color :p

Neuspeed RSe10s

Leaning towards 18x8 RSe10s right now since they can fit larger brakes (if I decide to go that route down the road), but there are a lot of solid options out there. Torn between 8 and 8.5 width since I'd like to swap my existing tires onto them without stretch. Let me know which direction you decide to go.