GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Taking some time to get the brake light issue figured out. Disassembled and removed bulb, no corrosion and filament looked fine, reinstalled and still having issues. It's been intermittent since then, guessing it may be a short somewhere along the line. Bringing it by the shop to have them try and sort it out.

In the meantime, my shifter has been giving me issues getting into reverse. Anyone ever had problems with this? It happens to me during cold weather and usually gets better when the car is warm. Hoping cables need to be realigned but unsure. Could also have something to do with metal shifter bracket or bushings 🤷‍♂️

Add it to the list.
Definitely worth trying an alignment on the cables. Were there any issues with it prior to the accident / did the shop have to remove any of those parts?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Definitely worth trying an alignment on the cables. Were there any issues with it prior to the accident / did the shop have to remove any of those parts?
This happened to me last winter as well and it was beginning to act up a little bit again prior to the accident. I brought it in to the shop last winter when it got so bad that I could barely put it in gear. They replaced the clutch (with the same stage 2 endurance southbend kit) and a leaky RMS, but could not identify any faults. Seemed to fix the issue, but not a good sign that it is acting up again. I do not use a clutch stop and basically go pedal to the firewall every time I shift as a safety precaution. I believe the clutch is disengaging all the way since there doesn't seem to be any friction or creeping forward in first with clutch pedal to the floor and throttle application.

Only aftermarket items I have on the shifter are metal bracket and bushings from IE, so may swap those out and tighten the cables to see if that makes a difference. At this point, if that doesn't solve the problem, I'm thinking it may be an issue with the synchros? Definitely will not be paying to have the transmission disassembled again.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Its officially listed. We'll see if there are any hits. Still contemplating my options over here. Should probably sell and buy something that the fiancé can drive (she's not a manual person... as hard as I've tried). I already have the Miata as a fun track car so it makes sense to offload the project car to someone else.

Considered going to a Golf R, but couldn't sell the s/o on it. Likely moving toward Lexus or some kind of boring SUV. Lol. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, having fun in it around town.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Its officially listed. We'll see if there are any hits. Still contemplating my options over here. Should probably sell and buy something that the fiancé can drive (she's not a manual person... as hard as I've tried). I already have the Miata as a fun track car so it makes sense to offload the project car to someone else.

Considered going to a Golf R, but couldn't sell the s/o on it. Likely moving toward Lexus or some kind of boring SUV. Lol. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, having fun in it around town.
Bummer to see it go (potentially), but fun was had and I'm sure for track purposes the Miata will be a great learning tool and tons of fun.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Ended up selling the car this weekend to a friend for 15,000 (who's going in eyes wide open on cars past experiences, etc.). Sad to see it go, but moving on to the next chapter (which will likely be an SUV of some sort).

With the Miata in the garage, I just couldn't justify having manual transmissions for both cars I own when the fiance can't drive stick, and one needed to go. As much fun as I've had with the GTI, it was an easy decision for me given the trackability of the Miata (RWD, LSD, light weight, etc.), It's lower miles, and the fun factor. It's been a hell of a ride with this car and I have zero regrets.

Thank you all for the support, advice, and community over the years. I'll continue to follow the forum and I hope to bump into you at the track in 2021. Be safe and have fun!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
On a slightly separate note, I have a set of 18x8.5 +45 Hyper Black RSe10s with brand new 235/40 200tw tires in my garage that I'd love to sell to one of you all at a deal if you're in need of a track set. They are straight but a little scuffed. Will post some pics this week. Could probably let the whole set go for 1100 local including tires if you'd like to pick them up.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ended up selling the car this weekend to a friend for 15,000 (who's going in eyes wide open on cars past experiences, etc.). Sad to see it go, but moving on to the next chapter (which will likely be an SUV of some sort).

With the Miata in the garage, I just couldn't justify having manual transmissions for both cars I own when the fiance can't drive stick, and one needed to go. As much fun as I've had with the GTI, it was an easy decision for me given the trackability of the Miata (RWD, LSD, light weight, etc.), It's lower miles, and the fun factor. It's been a hell of a ride with this car and I have zero regrets.

Thank you all for the support, advice, and community over the years. I'll continue to follow the forum and I hope to bump into you at the track in 2021. Be safe and have fun!
Hope to catch you at a few autox events next year!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Pulled the trigger on a new Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition yesterday! I guess I am officially a Mazda fanboy now. lol. Pics below. Will post my RSe10s in Classifieds section in the next few days. Need to clean them up a bit and take some pics.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Love the color!

Can't argue with the CX5 in terms of value, reliability, etc. I'm guessing the trim you chose is the performance version :). I'm sure it moves right along.

I've had company cars forever. For the last 10 years, it's been the Ford Explorer and/or Edge. I rented the CX5 last year on a business trip and loved it!

Will definitely see you at an SCDA event next year! Also a plug for MassTuning. I did one of their events and they offer a lot of track time for your dollar. Three groups an hour (Novice, Int, ADvanced) from 9AM-11AM, then 1PM-4PM. Seven 20 minute sessions for $250. I skipped the 4PM as it was getting dark but was still happy with the value.