GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Purchasing a golf r or gti

LukeTheMan

Car(s)
1999 6.0 swapped TA
I wanna purchase a new car thats quick i wanna go to a realm i havent gone to before a buddy of mine has a mk7.5 gti and loves it another a mk4 and loves it looked for mk4's in my area for a while but with the market prices are no where near what I would want to pay for something like that however I have thought about getting a gti or golf r anyone on here think its possible to score a dsg golf r under 60k miles for 25k thats more as to why I was looking at a gti but prices are crazy right now what did some of u guys pay for ur mk7 gtis and R's thank u hopefully ill be joining u guys soon

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanna purchase a new car thats quick i wanna go to a realm i havent gone to before a buddy of mine has a mk7.5 gti and loves it another a mk4 and loves it looked for mk4's in my area for a while but with the market prices are no where near what I would want to pay for something like that however I have thought about getting a gti or golf r anyone on here think its possible to score a dsg golf r under 60k miles for 25k thats more as to why I was looking at a gti but prices are crazy right now what did some of u guys pay for ur mk7 gtis and R's thank u hopefully ill be joining u guys soon
Honestly, it all depends what you're used to - what "fast" means for you. I tried both the GTI and R, and despite the enormous differences in 0-60 time, neither actually felt fast to me. I felt like the RPM range where you got the extra boost from the R was so small that I mostly missed it - most of the time, it felt no faster than the GTI. In the end, I personally went with the GTI because of the Sun Roof. But - psychologically, you might feel a lot better if you bought the R, because then you know, even if it doesn't feel very fast, that you're driving a car with a sub 5 second 0-60 time, vs a car that most of the time won't break 6 seconds in real life. (Even with the GTI, when you are in sports mode above 2300 RPM, you will pass most "normal" cars.) It's hard to feel a big difference - a 4.4 second car is averaging 0.5 Gs, while a 6 second car is averaging 0.37 Gs. Combine that with the 1G of the Earth, and you're at 1.12 Gs vs 1.07 Gs. Honestly, the biggest feel difference I found was that the Golf R cornered even better than the GTI on Sport - far less body roll. The GTI *can* take corners fast but it makes you feel pretty nervous about it.

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
As one more example of how hard it is to "feel" the difference between the two - there are a lot of threads about people chipping their GTIs so get them up to a Golf-R level of horsepower and torque. And a very common reaction when they first drove the car home was that they weren't even sure if the tune had been done - it was that subtle. They started to notice it a little, but mainly at higher speeds. So I'd say focus on the psychological issues - getting an R might make you feel good, and you don't have to worry about chipping it. Or, if you're just happy with a cool looking, practical car with the performance of a high end Maxima, go with the GTI.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I currently have a 2015 GTI with full bolt-ons and love it. It's more than fast enough for me and as stated above, I can easily pass the normal cars on the highway as well as a good amount of the faster ones.

Two weeks ago I test drove a 2019 R and a 2018 GTI SE, both six speeds, within two days of each other. Based on those two test drives, for ME, the R was nicer and had more of a cool factor, but honestly they felt very similar as far as handling and speed.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
FWIW - I recently found out from the dealership that the 2018 GTI mentioned above had an ECU tune at some point. They didn't elaborate on whether or not the tune was still active, but it felt really nice. I test drove a 2019 GTI yesterday with only 12k miles on it, and from what I can remember of the 2018 and the R, the 2019 felt a bit underpowered.

Regarding current prices - The 2019 R was $40k (don't remember the miles). The 2018 GTI SE with 58k miles was $25k. The 2019 GTI SE with 12k miles was $34k. I also test drove a 2017 GTI Sport with 30k miles, they are asking $23k.

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
FWIW - I recently found out from the dealership that the 2018 GTI mentioned above had an ECU tune at some point. They didn't elaborate on whether or not the tune was still active, but it felt really nice. I test drove a 2019 GTI yesterday with only 12k miles on it, and from what I can remember of the 2018 and the R, the 2019 felt a bit underpowered.

Regarding current prices - The 2019 R was $40k (don't remember the miles). The 2018 GTI SE with 58k miles was $25k. The 2019 GTI SE with 12k miles was $34k. I also test drove a 2017 GTI Sport with 30k miles, they are asking $23k.
23k? That's more than I bought my 2017 S new for.