GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: TPC20 - not recommended

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just don't get them started on Cherry blue vs brown or red.

My daughter's at school all day and my wife has to go in to the office. I got them Cornflower Blue switches babyyyy...

Capture.PNG

Not even a $100 bottle of Cerma will stop that clicking.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
This smells like good old E90 drama:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337103

Spoilers alert, didn't look good when fanboys/employees argue with people back then. Still doesn't look good now.

I swear, companies give grassroot racers their one golden turbo that will never breakdown because it's actually been QC'd to hell and back, just so that when shit goes south for other units they can just go "see this guy pushes their turbo soooo hard, it must be you, your tuner, or your uncle. My turbos wiiiiin events" coughzacdbv2cough

Same shit, different day

Also using the argument about turbo blankets :ROFLMAO::
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/08/turbo-blanket-spool-up-evaluation/

Also, 60% master race:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Ed didn't try to hide it. He was super transparent which is why people stuck with him.

How do you know Ed didn't tell people with initial failures to keep it to themselves until they figure things out. You do realize this is people's livelihood and their products reputation can make or break their business. I'm a part restaurant owner and can feel for these vendors. When we see a bad yelp review for our restaurant we'll contact them and try to figure something out to make things right and ask them to take down the bad review or change it. Should my restaurant be chastised and run out of business for doing so? We are all just trying to make a living.

thanks for writing this up Navi. Its important for us as consumers to spread word of these types of things and look out for eachother. First turbo was warrantied which is expected, second one blows up, they should warranty the next one instead of demanding more money, you've clearly gone through a lot of :poop: trying to get this to work. It might be bad PR for TPC but we the people need to know of this stuff. Good luck to those who have TPC's in the wild, I was thinking of going with them before, now I'm not so sure after this. Seems like EQT is the way to go. let's see how this plays out

Navi should have clarified this but from my understanding they are only asking for money on the upgraded/newer turbo and not asking for money to warranty the current one.

RTFM

Ready to race!

RTFM

Ready to race!
This smells like good old E90 drama:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337103

Spoilers alert, didn't look good when fanboys/employees argue with people back then. Still doesn't look good now.

I swear, companies give grassroot racers their one golden turbo that will never breakdown because it's actually been QC'd to hell and back, just so that when shit goes south for other units they can just go "see this guy pushes their turbo soooo hard, it must be you, your tuner, or your uncle. My turbos wiiiiin events" coughzacdbv2cough

Same shit, different day

Also using the argument about turbo blankets :ROFLMAO::
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/08/turbo-blanket-spool-up-evaluation/

Also, 60% master race:
Split for gaming, full for work/excel, 60% for everything else

RTFM

Ready to race!
Just keyboards that cost a quarter of a hybrid turbo...
A quarter? I’m still waiting on my Zeal Xeno. That shit was like $700 a year and a half ago. Never should have bought it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As a side note, big fan of modern dolch. Tempted to get it, but Serika works well with my setup. Maybe I will get it for my split setup

I've been on this set of Sky Dolch caps for 3 - 4 years now. I remember seeing this post and instantly falling in love with the colors.

A quarter? I’m still waiting on my Zeal Xeno. That shit was like $700 a year and a half ago. Never should have bought it.

There's definitely $2,800 hybrids 😂

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
"Like active development isn't a thing in the automotive world."

lmfao shit's not Tesla or Apple. There's a solid difference between product iterations and improvements, and mass marketing a poorly or lightly tested/incomplete product (cough DSC Sport controller) and using your customers for beta testing things and fixing things when they go completely south.

Yeah it's someones livelihood and business, but it's also people who are paying money for a supposedly complete product, regardless of how much it is to "pay to play"

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
BecauseMotor mentioned at some point TPC changed their turbine wheel design in an attempt to rectify the failures. When was that change made, and have they continued to have failures since? For those of us currently holding TPC turbos (installed or in a box), do we have any options if newer and possibly more reliable revisions are available, or are we stuck with our (possible) lemons?

They just made the switch a couple weeks ago. Doubt there's many of them in the wild at this point.

RTFM

Ready to race!
They just made the switch a couple weeks ago. Doubt there's many of them in the wild at this point.
That is probably what bugs me the most about all of this. If Navi had a blown one in April, and knew of others at that time (now turning out to be a lot more than 2 as THEREALVRT claimed), but it was only a few weeks ago that TPC changed it, then that is roughly 5 months of selling a turbo with known issues. EQT halted sales when a problem popped up and offered to warranty non-failed turbos too. They found a solution to make a better turbo and then resumed sales. The way the two companies handled a very similar situation speaks volumes about how differently their businesses are run.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Emo stuff aside, sounds like the TPC20 is having bearing failures. As mentioned, EQT went through similar early troubles, but through being open about these issues was able to fix their bearing design/QC, and now has the fastest spooling, highest power potential, and relatively reliable IS20-based hybrids available. BecauseMotor mentioned at some point TPC changed their turbine wheel design in an attempt to rectify the failures. When was that change made, and have they continued to have failures since? For those of us currently holding TPC turbos (installed or in a box), do we have any options if newer and possibly more reliable revisions are available, or are we stuck with our (possible) lemons? I’d like for Nick from TPC or THEREALVRT to provide their input on how they plan to move forward from here.

All the this! Really don't want to install a turbo, only for it to blow in just 1000 miles or so. Our turbos could be one of the good ones for all I know but hearing all these stories plus what tuners are saying, I just don't have the confidence in this turbo.

edit. Does Nick from TPC even have a account on here?

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You think I don't know people who spend all day revving the shit outta the cars at stop lights and launch every day and go "damn my clutch/turbo is gone" like no shit bro. Stop acting like a kid with their first car.
Brian, you get me... you really do. 😘

This is me. All day, err-day.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I remember when desktops had a turbo button. I think my Pentium 100mhz had one. weeeee

Only had 90mhz. The 100mhz was a couple hundred more.