GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA - Recommendation prior to tuning IS38

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I came across a thread over on VWROC which was authored by a reputable tuner, Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments. I'm planning to follow his recommendation on having my IS38 checked for proper balancing before I tune.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19357-Golf-R-Turbo-Failures

Interesting read on his findings and I appreciate his honesty about the turbos that have failed under his influence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ashiun

Ready to race!
I've got a GTI but I can confirm that people in my local group are very aware of this problem.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Is it just the IS38?

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Is it just the IS38?
Rick, the OP, is recommending that all IS38's get a proper balancing which based on my research should include low speed balancing and high speed balancing.

IS20 have shown to be properly balanced from the factory and there is more clearance in the Turbo housing. It's the IS38 and it's zero clearance with the Turbo housing that needs the inspection.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If you are getting your IS38 balanced, it might also be worth it to get the housing ceramic coated. You've got to disassemble it anyway to get balanced, might as well get it coated as well! (many shops do both).

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
If you are getting your IS38 balanced, it might also be worth it to get the housing ceramic coated. You've got to disassemble it anyway to get balanced, might as well get it coated as well! (many shops do both).
I was thinking the same thing; considering to have the hot side coated with white lightning by Swaintech.

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
Would this be more applicable to tuned IS38's?
Would a turbo failure post balancing be declined by VW?
For non-tuned, warranty fanatics like myself, surely that's why we have warranties, covering us in the event of failure.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, didn't know the IS38 was the zero clearance type. We can certainly now see why balancing is so much more important on the IS38 than the IS20, the tolerances are less.

Some interesting reading here from a Porsche shop owner that was upgrading turbos to be "zero clearance" to increase efficiency by application of the coating, teflon or whatever they use. In particular, see OP posts 1 and 8:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/84673-zero-clearance-turbo-s.html

IS20 hybrid + coating perhaps? Who is first? LOL.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Tuners will normally post something up like that after a few customers break a turbo. Considering the R has been out since 2013 people that work with these cars should have understood a trend of how and why they go most of the times.

In the early days the N revision turbo's had lots of failures. Majority of these cars ran piggy backs that had no rpm sensing so the add was from the word go which produced large amounts of torque and immediate spool causing major compressor surge. Once people started flashing the cars the Torque was kept in check as it was early days and the DSG cars would also be limited by the transmission software.
When we entered the market after a year of testing and research we didn't want to start with breakages so a decision was made to limit torque and high end boost to a extent (although crazy boost is not needed for peak power) with the JB1 to play it safe. To date we have only lost 1 North American turbo on a R that isn't stacked over a well into 4 digit sample pool.
The trend seems to be slowing down the torque peak and peaking around 500rpm later than the early days and we are seeing a much lower failure rate in general.
I reckon I personally wouldn't remove a turbo to have it balanced and put back considering the labour rate vs a new turbo unless you really plan to max out the car power wise. They are bound to break at high torque levels and it does cause a bit of a fright when your read about it but there are also thousands of people that don't post who don't have a issue. Generally breaking the turbo will create a poster.

Last edited:

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Tuners will normally post something up like that after a few customers break a turbo. Considering the R has been out since 2013 people that works with these cars should have understood a trend of how and why they go most of the times.

In the early days the N revision turbo's had lots of failures. Majority of these cars ran piggy backs that had no rpm sensing so the add was from the word go which produced large amounts of torque and immediate spool causing major compressor surge. Once people started flashing the cars the Torque was kept in check as it was early days and the DSG cars would also be limited by the transmission software.
When we entered the market after a year of testing and research we didn't want to start with breakages so a decision was made to limit torque and high end boost to a extent (although crazy boost is not needed for peak power) with the JB1 to play it safe. To date we have only lost 1 North American turbo on a R that isn't stacked over a well into 4 digit sample pool.
The trend seems to be slowing down the torque peak and peaking around 500rpm later than the early days and we are seeing a much lower failure rate in general.
I reckon I personally wouldn't remove a turbo to have it balanced and put back considering the labour rate vs a new turbo unless you really plan to max out the car power wise. They are bound to break and it does cause a bit of a fright when your read about it but there are also thousands of people that don't post who don't have a issue. Generally breaking the turbo will create a poster.

Good info geroge.

Snitt

Ready to race!
George, I agree. I'm always skeptical of a vendor that recommends their own services as a "must-have" preventative measure. I've been reading about the R for a couple years now and have not read many blown turbo posts. The JB1/JB4 thread is dozens of pages long, and the other tuning vendors' threads are fairly long as well. If there were an issue with turbos, it would have popped up there.

Coming from the WRX world where tuning is common but blown turbos are not, "Your tuner sucks" was the general response when someone would post that they had their engine tuned and blew a turbo.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
In terms of the capacity of the is20 and the is38 based on what you have seen what do you feel is the outright max for these turbos George? Some of us are looking to get into the is38 game.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
George, I agree. I'm always skeptical of a vendor that recommends their own services as a "must-have" preventative measure. I've been reading about the R for a couple years now and have not read many blown turbo posts. The JB1/JB4 thread is dozens of pages long, and the other tuning vendors' threads are fairly long as well. If there were an issue with turbos, it would have popped up there.

Coming from the WRX world where tuning is common but blown turbos are not, "Your tuner sucks" was the general response when someone would post that they had their engine tuned and blew a turbo.

I couldn't agree more with both of ya. While there will always be some failures due to the mass manufacturing of any product especially early in any new model run, after all, the early customers are the beta group, whether we're talking about the manufacturers or the tuners modifying them, at this point and time after 3 years of manufacturer revisions and 3 years worth of tuners gathering knowledge, if a tuner is having anywhere near a 20% failure rate, it's the tuner not the product the majority of the time.

The one thing I can say from my experience also having owned a subie product, an sti, that I had dyno tuned 4 times, and never had an issue with but I always spent the $$$ and took it to shops that knew the platform inside and out no matter how far away, is I was always amazed at some of the cars that other customers brought in, obviously modded themselves, did a piss poor job of, had the tuner tune it, then blamed the tuner when it broke. On multiple occasions I watched parts literally fall off cars when on the dyno due to piss poor shade tree mechanics, whether the owner modified it himself or took it to a cheaper place for labor then brings it to a reputable tuner for the tuning, but of course the inevitable mechanical failure was always the tuners fault, I'm really surprised more dyno tuners just don't flat out refuse more customers.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

Here's a thread regarding turbo failures:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

Within the thread users with tunes and without were having turbo failures. The rate of failure and frequency of updates to the thread have slowed dramatically in the last 16 months so I gather that the latest revisions from IHI are improving the turbos longevity.

Snitt

Ready to race!
Thanks for the thread! I skimmed it over, and the first 53 pages seem to be people who had their cars built in early 2015 and earlier, with the majority of them being 2014 model years, which is in line with the thought that the initial MK7's had issues.

There weren't many reported for the 2016 model year and newer. The ones that were reported for 2016+ had been tuned, while many of the earlier failures were bone stock. In my mind, it's certainly not enough to back up the claim that all VW's need to have their turbo balanced.