GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: CTS Intake with Group 48 Battery

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

I saw a similar post from 2017, but wanted to provide a reminder since we have a lot of new members and I just learned this one the hard way (not too hard though, since I picked it up used for a good deal and should be able to easily resell it).

The CTS Intake (in particular CTS-IT-270) doesn't play nice with a battery that fills the entire box. When my battery died last year, I grabbed a group 48 as a replacement. The CTS-IT-270 version of the intake has a bolt that is used to help hold/align the heat shield in place. This bolt uses the furthest forward hole in the battery box, which essentially left my battery unsecured in the front. Also, the heat shield was resting on my positive battery cable (I'd rather not eventually wear through and destroy the car's entire electrical system for some whooshy whooshes).

The alternative was rigging together some sort of special bolt/nut/lock washer to secure the battery and extending the positive battery cable, both of which weren't worth it to me considering other options in the market (leaning towards the MST inlet tube and TIP combo with the stock airbox).

For the day that I ran it, it sounded great. But after that day, my OCD and anxiety caught up with me.

This version of the intake:

You can see the battery mount hole the heat shield uses in this image from the instructions. It is the furthest forward in the battery tray.

Here's the instruction step regarding the bolt in question:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So for clarification, if you went with a smaller battery then no issues? Why not go that route?

Correct. And because my battery had just died and already replaced it with a Group 48 haha. The battery cost more than the intake, and I was able to flip the intake to another local for what I paid for it. Ended up going with an OEM+ approach with the MST silicone tube with inlet and an aFe drop-in filter.