GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Cable Tie Your Bonnet Release Cable Junction Box

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
Nice to see the car repair industry shaking off its poor reputation with fair and above board practices.
i always make it known that i want my pieces given back to me after the replace the new ones, they can still be shitty tho, also another known "trick" is mechanics pull parts off of junk yard cars, keep them handy, then when they order a new piece, they keep it sell it, and put the part from the junk yard into your car

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
i always make it known that i want my pieces given back to me after the replace the new ones, they can still be shitty tho, also another known "trick" is mechanics pull parts off of junk yard cars, keep them handy, then when they order a new piece, they keep it sell it, and put the part from the junk yard into your car

I'm sure. This kind of thing was a huge factor in getting me to learn how to diy as much as possible. Anything that doesn't require dealer level tech and I'm probably OK.

Before that, I never had any seriously bullshit experiences with the industry (I think), but I always like it better when I'm in control. Even with honest mechanics, no one is going to care about getting it right as much as you will.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
2019 GTI SE here. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get a ziptie around the middle, but I at least took care of the sides.
20200828_235135473_iOS.jpg

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Yeah always try to get broken / replaced parts in order to 'assess for yourself the extent of wear', and ensure new stuff was actually fitted. Another 'trick' can be to place dirty finger marks around any suspected not replaced component and clean the old, but not replaced part. Oh and spray WD-40 type light oil onto apparently 'leaking' shock absorbers. Edit: a 3d cable tie could just be squeezed around the cable junction box, if one was to carefully force it between the box and the bodywork (nothing wrong with using The Force (y)), but the 2 should be 'good'.......

Last edited:

EthanMK7

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Ethan, that's great. How do you fix the cable after you get the hood open?

I like to have my cake and eat it too.
After I got the hood opened I had to figure out what failed. On my car it was the poorly designed plastic junction that sits on top of the drivers headlight. So I had to replace the cable from that junction too the actual hood latch. It was $29 from the VW dealership delivered the next day! You can find it cheaper online but will have to wait for longer shipping. I’ve also heard of the cable snapping to the junction to the latch itself, comes out or breaks. Or it can be as simple as the cable coming out of place from the cover coming off the junction. I started with the easiest diagnosis first which did the trick.

I eat the whole cake and saved none for The body shop or dealership!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
After I got the hood opened I had to figure out what failed. On my car it was the poorly designed plastic junction that sits on top of the drivers headlight. So I had to replace the cable from that junction too the actual hood latch. It was $29 from the VW dealership delivered the next day! You can find it cheaper online but will have to wait for longer shipping. I’ve also heard of the cable snapping to the junction to the latch itself, comes out or breaks. Or it can be as simple as the cable coming out of place from the cover coming off the junction. I started with the easiest diagnosis first which did the trick.

I eat the whole cake and saved none for The body shop or dealership!

Awesome, thanks. Especially eating the whole cake!

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
That's part of the problem I had - I actually found that the steel cable wasn't sat in its channel correctly which was causing extra strain - see this photo with the channel just to the right of the cable:

May I know what do I need to remove to access this?
I tried removing the grill but still couldn't see it
I'm having RHD model if that matters

Meanwhile, is it advisable to open up the coupling and lubricate the moving plastic part?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
May I know what do I need to remove to access this?
I tried removing the grill but still couldn't see it
I'm having RHD model if that matters

Meanwhile, is it advisable to open up the coupling and lubricate the moving plastic part?
Remove the grille and there's just two bolts holding the mech in.

Spray plenty of White Lithium grease into the mech at every service.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The coupler looks simple enough that a billet solution could be produced, it's a shame I don't have access to the resources to build something or I'd happily do so. If anyone else has access to the necessary parts, I think there could be a worthwhile profit to be made on this, as I'm sure many of us would like the peace of mind of replacing a plastic, failure-prone part with one of higher quality.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
The coupler looks simple enough that a billet solution could be produced, it's a shame I don't have access to the resources to build something or I'd happily do so. If anyone else has access to the necessary parts, I think there could be a worthwhile profit to be made on this, as I'm sure many of us would like the peace of mind of replacing a plastic, failure-prone part with one of higher quality.
Probably, but if the latch mech is lubricated regularly it won't be an issue.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I keep forgetting to do this. Thanks for the reminder. I'm doing some maintenance tonight, so I'll get it then.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My concern is the plastic bits inside, given the heat/cold cycles an engine bay sees. Regardless, preventative maintenance is cheap, so when I get home I'll hit it with the zipties and lube.

Where exactly should be lubed?