GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PS4S Fronts roached after 7k

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yup I’m going to get way more aggressive with rotation schedule moving forward
I just got lazy and replaced the fronts twice before having to change the rears. Figured it's the same cost.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
My son’s GTI has been running Superpro LCA’ for a couple years now. At first paired with the Superpro top mounts with -2deg and zero toe,… then with stock strut tops and VWR spring/damper with -1.2deg and a hair toe out up front… then the same Superpro LCA and VWR kit with EuroSport strut tops bringing things to -2.2 with a hair of toe out.

For street we use PZero on factory wheels. I rotate in after every tire swap for autox or track day, a fifth 18” Austin wrapped with 225/40 Pirelli PZero. Over two years I’ve only needed to replace a pair of PZero due to wear. Yea, the inner wear bars go flush sooner than the outer bars but at an acceptable rate.

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
FWIW, I had the firestone lifetime alignment on my previous car and it never had good tire wear. Nowhere near as bad as what you're reporting, but getting inner shoulder wear. I'd be getting maybe 25-30k from tires that should last 40. I went to many of their locations ranging from the Bay Area to LA/OC since I was moving back and forth during college. Always the same thing, and when I asked a tech about it, he said I should just run positive camber.... wtf? From my experience, I don't trust their machines to accurately read what the actual alignment is. Since selling that car, I've never gone back to Firestone. I'm surprised they even were willing to touch your car, since every location I went to only did factory settings.

But, echoing what David said. If that print out is accurate, it does not explain your excessive wear.
Speaking to the accuracy of these alignment machines. A hunter tech told me once they recommended coming out every 6 months to look it over, and 12 months to level it, adjust the rack. I dont know if this is true or not though.

In the 15 years ive been working on cars at dealers, i can count on one hand how many times ive seen an alignment rack being adjusted, looked over.

Reactions: MSH

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Speaking to the accuracy of these alignment machines. A hunter tech told me once they recommended coming out every 6 months to look it over, and 12 months to level it, adjust the rack. I dont know if this is true or not though.

In the 15 years ive been working on cars at dealers, i can count on one hand how many times ive seen an alignment rack being adjusted, looked over.
Yes my alignment guy had his machine and rack “serviced/calibrated” like that, I’ve seen him replace cameras and bearings sliders on the rack too in the last 3years randomly.

But also that’s his primary/sole focus of the company - alignment & suspension tuning/balancing so his priority for them being perfect would deff. Surpass that of a dealer.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Yes my alignment guy had his machine and rack “serviced/calibrated” like that, I’ve seen him replace cameras and bearings sliders on the rack too in the last 3years randomly.

But also that’s his primary/sole focus of the company - alignment & suspension tuning/balancing so his priority for them being perfect would deff. Surpass that of a dealer.
Ya, most places are doing alignments to get the car to drive straight and thats it. To 99 percent of people the numbers on the sheet mean nothing.

We have had people from time to time come in and want specific specs for an alignment, and we do try and make that happen. But at the end of the day, to get an alignemt with specific specs a place like you said is your best bet. someone who does track setups, who will have a machine that hasnt been neglected

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Luckily I found a great track/autocross/performance alignment shop in town a few years ago. It’s all they do. The owner is an active racer. Alignments are by appointment.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Hi Denver guy as well struggling with local alignment shops. Mind sending DM with where you've been so we can compare notes? Thanks

Hi, I've only used Bluewater in the past. I made the Firestone mistake right after the 034 ball joint and warrantied Superpro LCA install. The Firestone alignment was supposed to be a stop gap until I got to a better shop but never made it that far obviously. Instead I paid the price (literally) over the weekend!💲💰
This time around I'm going with Black Canyon Performance but they are booked a couple weeks out, so my R will sit until then. As you probably know, they are one of the best VAG shops in the Denver area and do a lot of performace/track alignments

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 11.05.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 11.11.19 AM.png

My son’s GTI has been running Superpro LCA’ for a couple years now. At first paired with the Superpro top mounts with -2deg and zero toe,… then with stock strut tops and VWR spring/damper with -1.2deg and a hair toe out up front… then the same Superpro LCA and VWR kit with EuroSport strut tops bringing things to -2.2 with a hair of toe out.

For street we use PZero on factory wheels. I rotate in after every tire swap for autox or track day, a fifth 18” Austin wrapped with 225/40 Pirelli PZero. Over two years I’ve only needed to replace a pair of PZero due to wear. Yea, the inner wear bars go flush sooner than the outer bars but at an acceptable rate.

Unfortunately, I really think my defective Superpro LCAs I had on previously played a part in all of this. If we could have tracked down that the LCA's were the route of the clunking I was getting for so long I think I may not be in this position but who knows.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
What’s IE’s solution?

The customer support rep literally told me to check with ECS if they have something. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations?
I'm just use to the tech world where I have worked the past 20+ years where industry std is 5 years minimum after last date of sale replacement parts are made available. Last date of ship on the v1 IE IC was the Oct timeframe of 2020 I believe, so 2 years? Even if they don't have replacement parts at least point customers to another source where you can purchase the exact/similar part. Something better than "check with ECS"
I understand I can cobble together another solution, but it's proved to take me way more time than I thought. Finding a 2.75"ID 90° elbow reducer to 2.5" in that exact config/length is pretty much impossible. The do88 hoses are close but the charge pipe end is smaller than 2.5" so people have been boiling the charge pipe end for 10 mins to make it pliable enough to fit aftermarket charge pipes like the EQT one I have. do88 has told me they don't typlically sell the hose ala carte (especially to a non-do88 customer), but they are sympathetic to my situation and indicated they would be willing to do so.
I ended up deciding today to just cobble together my own set up with a off the shelf 90° reducer elbow, joiner pipe, and a 2.5" coupler. It's a bit cheaper than the $90 do88 wants for one hose and I won't have to make soup with the hose.
I will say that this has left such a sour taste in my mouth with IE that I'm pretty much done with them. I sent an email complaining to Peter Blais (co-owner of IE), but as expected crickets

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The customer support rep literally told me to check with ECS if they have something. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations?
I'm just use to the tech world where I have worked the past 20+ years where industry std is 5 years minimum after last date of sale replacement parts are made available. Last date of ship on the v1 IE IC was the Oct timeframe of 2020 I believe, so 2 years? Even if they don't have replacement parts at least point customers to another source where you can purchase the exact/similar part. Something better than "check with ECS"
I understand I can cobble together another solution, but it's proved to take me way more time than I thought. Finding a 2.75"ID 90° elbow reducer to 2.5" in that exact config/length is pretty much impossible. The do88 hoses are close but the charge pipe end is smaller than 2.5" so people have been boiling the charge pipe end for 10 mins to make it pliable enough to fit aftermarket charge pipes like the EQT one I have. do88 has told me they don't typlically sell the hose ala carte (especially to a non-do88 customer), but they are sympathetic to my situation and indicated they would be willing to do so.
I ended up deciding today to just cobble together my own set up with a off the shelf 90° reducer elbow, joiner pipe, and a 2.5" coupler. It's a bit cheaper than the $90 do88 wants for one hose and I won't have to make soup with the hose.
I will say that this has left such a sour taste in my mouth with IE that I'm pretty much done with them. I sent an email complaining to Peter Blais (co-owner of IE), but as expected crickets

Yeah stretching silicone hose beyond it’s intended size will result in a even shorter life span than you experienced.

A hose is always going to be a weak point vs a coupler (which sees far less expansion & contraction being a external sleeve rather than a pressure vessel). Hopefully you’re able to come up with a solution.

If not I’d take it to 485 Designs and have them fabricate aluminum charge pipes welded to the inlet & outlet of your intercooler so the existing aftermarket charge pipes can be joined by one conventional 2.5” coupler per side (like DBV2 does on their new FMIC).