GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Protect ya windshield

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Just had a new one installed today. Has anyone put some type of protective film on theirs to prevent the terrible pitting these windshields are known for?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Tbh my windshield usually gets cracked before pitting is an issue. My OEM got cracked from a crackhead in a truck throwing a battery at it. Got it replaced, the next day got cracked again on the freeway by a rock being thrown up from the car in front of me.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I need to replace mine as well…. Inspection due by the end of this month….

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I mentioned this in another thread:

I know an installer and talked to him about this. He talked me out of it. That’s the short version.

Longer version: My original windshield got cracked I got it replaced. Searching for a “PPF” layer for it, I called my tint guy and he touched on a few points.
-The best windshield is the original one. After that you cannot replicate a factory installed windshield.

-My price on this was $325 installed. My deductible for windshield replacement is $100. So for the price of this, I can get 3 windshields installed. I don’t know what a full retail install would cost.

-It is a wear layer so it will eventually need replacement in about 2-4 years.

-It is an optically clear product and will function as expected but the aforementioned cost seems to outweigh the benefits

If I knew this and my original windshield was still in the car I would do it in an instant. I’m now on windshield number three and found a solid installer, so for $100, I just get a new one in.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I just accept that VW windshields are a wear item
This.
Get insurance and shop the job cash.
USAA pays cash discount at Safelitr but you gotta ask...
PS: glass is glass but you can special order OE Pilkington...at least before supply chain crisis.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
if you have geico and a low comprehensive(?) deductible it can be as low as $50 (lowest possible ded. with open loan/financing on vehicle) to have your windshield replaced by safelite and they'll even come to your house to do it. I remember giving the guy 60 bux with a 10$ tip included for my mk6 and thinking I should get a "rock chip" every year..... cough cough.... its worth the fresh glass. just gotta hope they dont hack up your baby and the technician knows what they're doing and have worked on your car type before.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I have $0 deductible glass coverage. However, I don’t want to continually file a claim. This is my 3rd windshield in under two years on various cars.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
well I Got to be honest with you bro, I never in my life heard of anyone putting on windshield protective film. might as well wear two pairs of underwear in case you shit your pants on one pair, you can just throw one pair out and continue wearing the second pair. doesn't really make much sense, right? good luck with your windshield issues.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I really don't know if it is VAG's glass, or the angle that the windshield is installed, but I have had many pits and small chips in all my cars, but never a crack. I seen rocks flying directly at the windshield of my Camaro and my Silverado, that just left a surface crater... but this darn VAG windshield gets hit and gets cracked. I have 4 cracks in my windshield in one year driving. Only 2 could have been repaired, but the first one had a 6" long crack so there is no point on doing anything. My inspection is due in MAR 23, so I have no plans on replacing it until the day before I get it inspected.

And I say VAG because my wife's 2020 Q5 got hit once and it cracked, and last month her new 2022 SQ5 got hit while driving home at night and it developed a minute crack, and when she got up the next day the crack had expanded half way through the length of the windshield. That one was done at the dealership, including sensor calibration and a "mandatory" Audi wheel alignment because of the lane keeping function of the ACC, and ceramic tint totaled $2500.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I ceramic coated mine as the last one was terrible. This one is much better, the hydrophobic effect is so good you don't need wipers in the rain over 40mph as well.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
well I Got to be honest with you bro, I never in my life heard of anyone putting on windshield protective film. might as well wear two pairs of underwear in case you shit your pants on one pair, you can just throw one pair out and continue wearing the second pair. doesn't really make much sense, right? good luck with your windshield issues.
what?