GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Here's a fun update. I guess more of a "fun" update, because it was more annoying than anything else, but the dealer made it right, so I won't put them on blast directly.

I went in to have the Micro Switch recall done on my DSG shifter. Really, recalls and warranty work are the only reason I've gone to the dealer for the most part while owning this car. I've been extremely careful with the shifter surround ever since I started seeing people cut their fingers open on the sharp metal part that can be exposed. It was flawless when I took the car in, only to receive my car back with the metal bent and exposing a sharp bit.

I let them know that I wasn't super pumped about this since I had been so careful over the years to avoid this very thing. They didn't fight me on it or anything (they mentioned that they knew it was a fragile item), and told me they had the part in stock. I went back the next morning, and an hour later I had a new shifter with boot and surround (my assumption is part number 5G1713203KXPR). This shifter actually feels a bit better and more tactile to me as the sides are a rubber material.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Had my annual oil change and alignment done this past week. While the car was on the lift, I had the BFI stage 1 (v1) dogbone insert installed. A bit of NVH, but nothing major, and I fully expect it to break in over the first couple hundred of miles. Shifts feel a bit crisper, but I haven't had a good opportunity to test any wheel hop benefits yet. If it is anything like the poly insert I put in my MKV, I'm sure it will be great.

Another special thanks to @randomhobo130 and the If You Are In Need of Parts -- Good Samaritan Thread for getting the insert for just the cost of shipping.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
RIP DWS06. Definitely a leak as I could hear a hissing sound yesterday after getting the "Tire Pressure Loss" light on the dash. Probably road debris, but I can't see anything from the outside. Luckily, I do have road hazard on these, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Received my second oil analysis from Blackstone. Finally, after two years, I have enough samples to make a small comparison haha.

As a reminder, I don't drive that much anymore since my wife and I work at the same company and split the commute. Add to that this whole Covid-19 thing and working from home since March, and the car is seeing even less miles. Regardless, I still follow the advice of the manual and have the oil changed annually (even though it's probably unnecessary). It's more so to get a tech at my local Euro shop under the car and to look over everything.

The big thing I noticed on this one was the amount of make-up oil that I had to add. Now, it's quite possible I was just more lazy this year and didn't check and frequently to top off, but I do feel like the Liqui Moly didn't burn off as much as whatever the dealer had put in the previous oil change (it was a free oil change after they messed up a warranty trip I made).

ADAM: Thanks for the notes. The Liqui Moly blend performed well for your GTI over the past 6,853 miles. Engine wear looks great. The drop in iron really grabbed our attention; we expected a small decrease since you didn't put as many miles on this oil (iron tracks with oil use), but it went down by a pretty significant margin. That's likely due to either an operational change (like less idling time or not running the engine as hard) or steel parts wearing really well these days. There isn't any contamination, and the viscosity is where it should be in the 5W/40 range. Nice!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So, I'm not sure how many people watch or subscribe to this thread, but I have a question that I don't feel warrants a new thread. How much against OEM+ would I be going if I threw on a Borla S-Type catback? I possibly have a chance to pick one up for a pretty good deal locally and am considering it. I think the deal is good enough that if it's too loud for my taste, I could resell it for the same I'd pay for it. YouTube videos are all over the place as far as getting a feel for it, and CSS mufflers are hard to come by these days (at least used ones already in the states).

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
do you have a downpipe right now? if yes - then the typeS will be very loud... i spoke to borla about the unit used in this kit before i built custom set up with the dual XRI (loud race mufflers) and they told me the muffler in the s type is louder... its design is that of a simple resonator already.

if you have a stock DP - it should sound great but still be very audible.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would say go for it. One of the better sounding ones on the market IMO. If it's too loud, maybe just get their resonator installed.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I didn't realize they had a resonator available separately.

do you have a downpipe right now? if yes - then the typeS will be very loud... i spoke to borla about the unit used in this kit before i built custom set up with the dual XRI (loud race mufflers) and they told me the muffler in the s type is louder... its design is that of a simple resonator already.

if you have a stock DP - it should sound great but still be very audible.

No downpipe now and no plans to have one in the near future.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Here's a somewhat odd and dumb follow up to my Borla question above. If I do this, how in the hell do I store my stock exhaust? It's all one piece from the DP back, right? I have a garage and all, but damn, that's got to be huge and take up a lot of space. Can it be cut in half and clamped back together later? :ROFLMAO:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Please excuse the dirt. I have a wash day planned in the near future.

Installed some used, but new-to-me OEM LED license plate bulbs. Really cleans up the yellow cast from the factor bulbs. The part number is 35D 943 021 A. Followed up with a little bit of coding, and everything is working great.

Change bulb type to LED:
09 Central Electronics
Adaptation
Leuchte25KZL HA59
Lasttyp 25
43 Allgemeine LED

Change brightness to max:
09 Central Electronics
Adaptation
Leuchte25KZL HA59
Dimmwert AB 25