GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did the coolant leak get solved?

Hey Diggs, just following up. I dropped the car at the dealer this morning and confirmed that it needs a new water pump. Our parts distributor is Jacksonville, so due to the impending hurricane, my car may be sitting there for a few days unless they can force a shipment out of the Knoxville location. Until then I'm in a base model 2019 GTI loaner.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Fun. I just got the notification for this. I figured it was coming eventually. Curious to see how this plays out and what the remedy ends up being.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Got my car back last night. Dealership addressed my leaking coolant issue with a new main water pump, auxiliary water pump, thermostat, and all associated seals. Let's see how long this lasts.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The most minor of updates today, but I thought I would make it more interesting with a fun image I quickly created this morning. You're welcome, Internet.

Replaced my cabin air filter with the Mann FreciousPlus. I haven't even started the car yet, so I don't have any feedback, but my previous Mann charcoal filter was definitely getting musty smelling after 20k miles.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Nothing crazy going on here. I did order some Lamin-X for my fog lights and will post up pictures when that arrives.

Stupid Georgia and its record rainfall has left me unable to mountain bike as much as I'd like to, but I did manage to get out over the holiday break once. Car hauls the bike like a champ.

Just stumbled upon your build thread, good work on all the items that you've done thus far! I gotta say the Tornado Red looks bea-u-tiful! But the best thing about this picture is the wing debadge. I'm actually really considering doing that myself when I get my GTI out of the shop. Ended up curbing my front passenger wheel and took a big gash out of it and some of the side wall. I'll also be looking to get new tires soon; the continental's are really good? I'm looking for a mostly noiseless tire, since my job'll keep me on the freeway for the entire commute.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just stumbled upon your build thread, good work on all the items that you've done thus far! I gotta say the Tornado Red looks bea-u-tiful! But the best thing about this picture is the wing debadge. I'm actually really considering doing that myself when I get my GTI out of the shop. Ended up curbing my front passenger wheel and took a big gash out of it and some of the side wall. I'll also be looking to get new tires soon; the continental's are really good? I'm looking for a mostly noiseless tire, since my job'll keep me on the freeway for the entire commute.

Thanks!

I'm very happy with the DWS 06 on this car. I don't really want to commit to a summer tire yet since it does get cold here, so these seem like a nice compromise. They're definitely much better (in my opinion) than the stock Pirelli P-zero Nero A/S that I replaced.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Thanks!

I'm very happy with the DWS 06 on this car. I don't really want to commit to a summer tire yet since it does get cold here, so these seem like a nice compromise. They're definitely much better (in my opinion) than the stock Pirelli P-zero Nero A/S that I replaced.

Sweet! I’ll definitely start looking into pricing myself. I’m about 6-8 hours away from you in NC, so I definitely respect the choice to go all season. Comparable tires all year round make for a much smarter choice.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, it looks like I may need to get this looked at again sooner rather than later... As seen above, the thermostat and both water pumps were replaced on September 3, 2019.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Note the "mit silikat"...remove the silica bag...those things bust & the silica beads clog the rad or the cabin heater matrix....

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey, finally an update!

I got around to finding the intake setup that I felt fit well with my bigger, group 48 battery and went along with my OEM+ theme. The quality of the pieces from MST are very high and everything fit perfectly. While removing the PCV hose from the stock TIP was annoying, it securely fit onto the MST TIP snugly with a positive and confirming "click."

I haven't logged anything yet, but I did do a very unscientific log with the stock intake tube and TIP last week. I'm just waiting for a day with a similar ambient temp to log the new setup.

Current intake: Stock airbox (snow grate removed) / aFe Pro Dry S panel filter / MST Performance Inlet Kit (silicone intake tube and TIP)

Also, took a look at the turbo since it was semi-exposed.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Note the "mit silikat"...remove the silica bag...those things bust & the silica beads clog the rad or the cabin heater matrix....

Hey Dave, is the expansion tank a simple item to remove and not mess with cooling system? I'd prefer to remove the bag with it installed since I would just be introducing the issue I'm trying to avoid haha. Is it possible to siphon out enough coolant to clear the tank and just remove it temporarily?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey Dave, is the expansion tank a simple item to remove and not mess with cooling system? I'd prefer to remove the bag with it installed since I would just be introducing the issue I'm trying to avoid haha. Is it possible to siphon out enough coolant to clear the tank and just remove it temporarily?

Some people do that its easy to do (remove the tank)..others also swap to the tank which does not have the bag......