GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ProdigyWerks FS6 T1R 6-Piston Track Brake Caliper for PP Retrofit (340x30)

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Hi all, been in the market for a 6-piston track BBK on my '16 GTI PP to fit under 17" wheels and also wanting to stay economical. Plenty of options out there between StopTech, AP Racing, APR, Racingline, etc. but I've always seen stuff about ProdigyWerks for the value they provide for their BBKs. Currently they have their own 330x32 and 356x32 2-piece options for the Mk7 platform in 4/6 pistons as well as a race series calipers (that was an expensive kit) but interesting enough they have a 6-piston retrofit kit (FS6 caliper) to be able to use on the MK7 stock 340x30 rotors for only $900. Even better is that it is the same caliper used for retrofit as well as for their own rotors (with a mounting bracket) so very flexible in fitment/use.

When I reached out about heavy track usage, they recommended I get the FS6 T1R caliper which is the same caliper with track modifications including titanium vented pistons, anti-knockback springs and internal seals to cut overall weight and handle heat better. The cool thing is that they offer this caliper also in a stock 340x30 retrofit for the Mk7 which isn't explicitly advertised on the website (typically shown starting in the 356x32 size but does say 330x32 in the info page). Their T1R kit also is advertised with a brake ducting set but they are saying due to fitment issues, this is not ready nor possibly will ever be ready for this platform (and with that they cannot sell any of that ducting separate from the rotors as a standalone kit obviously).

https://www.prodigywerks.com/fs6-t1r-6-piston-caliper-intro

Therefore, the pricing for this FS6 T1R race caliper is very compelling for a Mk7 PP 340x30 retrofit and I will be purchasing this to use on my '16 GTI with 17" wheels early next year to replace my Macan 4-pot Brembos that are great but not going to be heavy track viable. Here's the price breakdown and Q&A from Prodigywerks summarized:
  • Differences between FS6 caliper and FS6 T1R track caliper:
    • Same forged construction and shape/size, same rigidity and fitment
    • Hydro vented titanium vs aluminum vented pistons, internal dust seals vs external boots, 6lb knockback springs with T1R, ~1lb less per corner (2.8kg = 6.3lb for T1R)
  • Estimated Pricing as of 12/15/21
    • $895 + $175 ship - FS6 bolt-on caliper for 340x30mm rotors (includes mounting brackets, not as much for track use, available today)
    • $1295 + $175 ship - FS6 T1R bolt-on caliper for 340x30mm rotors (includes mounting brackets, track use, available today)
    • $2195 + $345 ship - FS6 T1R with their 2-piece 330x32 rotors (ETA March 2022 due to rotor shortages, these rotors look great though with cheap replacement rings and easy to move to 356mm)
    • $2395 + $345 ship - FS6 T1R with their 2-piece 356x32 rotors (available by end of Dec 2021, fits under Apex SM-10 17x9")
  • Pad Shapes (matches AP Racing 7040 Caliper)
  • Brake Pads:
    • They sell a street and performance pad, they said their performance pad is a street/track hybrid and to buy the track pad of choice as needed for heavy track use
    • Street pad is semi-metallic (500c), R93 performance pad is carbon non-asbestos (700c)
    • D54 R93 performance pad - $149, D61 R93 performance pad $159, their street pads are $50 less
  • Wheel fitment (all focused on 6-piston FS6):

Hopefully this is a good kit that folks can use to just attach to their PP setup at a good price for track, I'll be ordering one to be ready for track season next year with these assuming the aftermarket pads are readily available (will update before I purchase). Plan would be to get the R93 performance pads for street/autoX then a race/endurance pad for the track. Thoughts/comments?

Edit 12/15: Updated the thread with some other info, the retrofit kit actually requires their mounting bracket conversion so bumps up price a bit.

Last edited:

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
I have been running the PW CR-4 4 piston kit meant to reuse the non-pp 312mm rotors for about 6 months now with the included street pads. Mainly do street driving as my MK7 is my daily, however I have put these to the test on multiple mountain touge style runs and they have done quite well considering they are a budget $400 brake kit and still using the factory sized rotors. Cannot wait to upgrade to steel lines and swap the pads out for a more track oriented compound for HPDE's in the spring.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Better hope they don't decide your car is a R&D testbed because they never bothered to get the caliper bracket and lines sorted before selling it, you'll spend months and months going back and forth waiting on hardware from Taiwan. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some of their kits fit fine the first time but I'd never give this company money again.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Better hope they don't decide your car is a R&D testbed because they never bothered to get the caliper bracket and lines sorted before selling it, you'll spend months and months going back and forth waiting on hardware from Taiwan. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some of their kits fit fine the first time but I'd never give this company money again.

That is a good data point and worth thinking about for sure. Price is good obviously but those pad shapes are not very popular for either the D54 or D61 shapes so I'm taking that into consideration also, plenty of options out there just not the typical ones you'd get in an ST40 or other common AP calipers.

There is a high chance that I just stay patient and see what I can get out of my Macan 4-pot Brembos with good ST-43 race pads/shims/2-piece rotors/more airflow and then go from there to pinpoint why I need something more. Only did two days on those and 10 days on the PP + DS2500 setup which boiled/faded by the end of sessions with every heat mgmt thing I could think of. I should probably give myself more time with the ST-43s and Macans to identify the weaknesses because my pedal felt fine unlike others have reported. Main issue was a pad deposit after my first session that make every braking zone feel like an earthquake and boiling fluid.

The more I research the pad surface areas comparing 4/6 piston, the more I can live with a 345 rotor under 17" wheels with 4-pot large pads and can try to get the best out of them. Also the PP brake pads are honestly huge compared to a lot of stuff out there. BBK choices will continue to haunt me until my next track day and I need to stop looking this stuff up haha.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
And the reason I felt the need to respond is I went through the exact thing--they had a caliper kit for my car (not a golf) but didn't have it listed for my stock rotors. And of course they were willing to make a bracket to fit it up to them! But the bracket wasn't right. And the second bracket wasn't right. And then the bolts weren't right. And then the lines weren't right. After they started asking me to pay more and not just wait for parts that clearly hadn't been designed, much less fabricated and shipped out of customs yet (and this was before covid, too), I gave up and sold the kit at an enormous loss to someone who then had to go out and figure out their own brackets and lines. You really do get what you pay for.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
And the reason I felt the need to respond is I went through the exact thing--they had a caliper kit for my car (not a golf) but didn't have it listed for my stock rotors. And of course they were willing to make a bracket to fit it up to them! But the bracket wasn't right. And the second bracket wasn't right. And then the bolts weren't right. And then the lines weren't right. After they started asking me to pay more and not just wait for parts that clearly hadn't been designed, much less fabricated and shipped out of customs yet (and this was before covid, too), I gave up and sold the kit at an enormous loss to someone who then had to go out and figure out their own brackets and lines. You really do get what you pay for.

Appreciate the post. The more I do on my car and most things in life, time is worth more than the headache you are describing of buying inexpensive which I've been through many times in different arenas. Hope you've got a solid setup now.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Sounds like you have outgrown the DS2500’s. I believe that the Ferrodo DS3.12 is a true track pad that some have recommended.
The ST43’s are pretty aggressive and will be a step up from the DS2500’s.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Sounds like you have outgrown the DS2500’s. I believe that the Ferrodo DS3.12 is a true track pad that some have recommended.
The ST43’s are pretty aggressive and will be a step up from the DS2500’s.
Yep I think I gotta get off the forums for a minute this Christmas, might drive myself crazy thinking about this brake stuff. I'll run the Macans with ST-43 and some other stuff like adding more airflow, rear XP8 pads, better fluid, front Ti shims to then figure out where I want to go with brakes.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Have you considered the Neuspeed kit? https://www.bmptuning.com/collectio...roducts/neuspeed-6-piston-big-brake-kit-340mm

Pretty solid deal for a 6 piston caliper that will bolt right up to PP rotors. Not much more than what you're thinking of spending on PW kit

Hey yep checked those out also, looks to be the same pads as the Brembo GT 'M' kits but the pad depth is only 48mm compared to the PP pad 62mm depth so I assume it works ok or I've misunderstood pad depth.