GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problems with the MK8 are the Same as the MK7

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was mulling over buying a MK8 so I perused the forum. Still the same issues. Given the lack of support from VW for the navigation maps and other things in the 22 years I've owned GTIs and the R, I decided to keep mine. It only has 27,000 miles and only one wheel speed sensor or its connector failed since I bought it new. I doubt the bugs will ever be resolved, just like every other VW I've owned. I wish there was a comparable car from another manufacturer. The closest thing I found is the little Mercedes CLA AMG 450 SUV. The last I looked a them, one with every comfort and performance option cost at least $25K more than the R. Probably $35K more now. All of the safety items are not standard features, and they're like a Porsche in that no matter what trim you buy there are desirable options that stand alone ones. And you become a target for miscreants. IOh well, that's life.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What about a Kona N

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I was mulling over buying a MK8 so I perused the forum. Still the same issues. Given the lack of support from VW for the navigation maps and other things in the 22 years I've owned GTIs and the R, I decided to keep mine. It only has 27,000 miles and only one wheel speed sensor or its connector failed since I bought it new. I doubt the bugs will ever be resolved, just like every other VW I've owned. I wish there was a comparable car from another manufacturer. The closest thing I found is the little Mercedes CLA AMG 450 SUV. The last I looked a them, one with every comfort and performance option cost at least $25K more than the R. Probably $35K more now. All of the safety items are not standard features, and they're like a Porsche in that no matter what trim you buy there are desirable options that stand alone ones. And you become a target for miscreants. IOh well, that's life.

This is the new day and age of buying and selling cars. The industry has completely changed, and tactics are different on both ends of the spectrum. MSRP on just about anything out there has increased fairly substantially, and the chances of getting a "hot" car without ADM is pretty slim.

The R is a pretty complete package. I've seen some tuned MK8s that are keeping up with much faster cars. I don't think anyone buys the car for the navigation system, especially considering you now have wireless Carplay and Android Auto. The VW map system is absolute garbage. It's almost as if their software development team is just creating a maps system to say that the car comes with navigation, a feature that for some reason manufacturers believe is still necessary. The only one that seems to have gotten it right is Tesla.

My other choices would be an FL5 Type R or GR Corolla, but again, chances of getting one are slim.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_182929.jpg
    IMG_20230522_182929.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 72

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well figure i'd pop back out of lurk mode to throw in my $.02 given that I went from this:

To this (23 Autobahn):

Basically go with the time tested formula
Good:
  • Software stability, for at least the few months and ~2500 miles of ownership my UX experience has been flawless. No bugs to speak of and everything is immediate and responsive. Should note that 22MY CANNOT say the same, and there's a particularly nasty issue regarding the steering wheel that's taken a good number of GTI/R out of commission.
  • Chassis/drivetrain/tuning. Now granted I came from a TSI, but VW really did knock it out of the park when it comes to performance. I never feel like the front and back are fighting each other (can't say the same about Mk7), the factory ECU tune is sublime with smooth immediate power available everywhere. Even the shifter is notably better stock than my experience with Mk7, something I appreciate VW put the effort into.
  • It's still packaged like a golf, this one should be self-explanatory for everyone here.
  • Headlights: nothing short of fantastic, huge step up in visibility.
  • The screens. I know they're divisive, but black levels and resolution are top-notch. Special shoutout to the digital dash.
  • The ride, I did splurge on the DCC and it's really worth it. shockingly good ride quality especially for being on 19's, and can firm up to be as harsh as my old KW's
  • The seats rock, not only do they look great and hold you in well, but there's better under-thigh support than on Mk7.
Bad:
  • The UI/UX. Now I'll couch this by saying the wheel haptics are more than fine. Steering wheel inputs are on a rocker switch like a controller's D-pad, so you get genuine physical indentation when you press down. I also have a pet theory that the reason so many reviewers complained about accidentally turning on the wheel heating is because the car will automatically engage it on a cold morning. Unless you have hands like an absolute gorilla, I have no idea how you'd actually hit it on accident.
    • The biggest issue is really the HVAC. The touch sliders are mediocre, and I default to using the infotainment-based climate. Not so much of an issue since the auto climate is good, and I just leave it on 72. If I had to constantly fiddle, this would go into ugly.
  • Freeway economy. It's still fine, but 6th gear is surprisingly short and once you're above 75 it becomes a bit of a struggle to stay on the better side of 30mpg. 09G on my Mk7 had a comically high 6th gear, so I'm a bit spoiled by freeway mileage at speed.
Ugly:
  • VW killed all the cubby space. That drawer under the drives seat, the sunglass holder, and the cubby under the light switch are all gone. This got surprisingly little mention, and it's genuinely my greatest complaint about the car. My sunglasses now have to live in the door pocket.
  • The hill hold is bizarre. It's coded on a timer, so you have to sit there waiting the 2-3 seconds for the brakes to release or cook the clutch forcing it past the system.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Well figure i'd pop back out of lurk mode to throw in my $.02 given that I went from this:

To this (23 Autobahn):

Basically go with the time tested formula
Good:
  • Software stability, for at least the few months and ~2500 miles of ownership my UX experience has been flawless. No bugs to speak of and everything is immediate and responsive. Should note that 22MY CANNOT say the same, and there's a particularly nasty issue regarding the steering wheel that's taken a good number of GTI/R out of commission.
  • Chassis/drivetrain/tuning. Now granted I came from a TSI, but VW really did knock it out of the park when it comes to performance. I never feel like the front and back are fighting each other (can't say the same about Mk7), the factory ECU tune is sublime with smooth immediate power available everywhere. Even the shifter is notably better stock than my experience with Mk7, something I appreciate VW put the effort into.
  • It's still packaged like a golf, this one should be self-explanatory for everyone here.
  • Headlights: nothing short of fantastic, huge step up in visibility.
  • The screens. I know they're divisive, but black levels and resolution are top-notch. Special shoutout to the digital dash.
  • The ride, I did splurge on the DCC and it's really worth it. shockingly good ride quality especially for being on 19's, and can firm up to be as harsh as my old KW's
Bad:
  • The UI/UX. Now I'll couch this by saying the wheel haptics are more than fine. Steering wheel inputs are on a rocker switch like a controller's D-pad, so you get genuine physical indentation when you press down. I also have a pet theory that the reason so many reviewers complained about accidentally turning on the wheel heating is because the car will automatically engage it on a cold morning. Unless you have hands like an absolute gorilla, I have no idea how you'd actually hit it on accident.
    • The biggest issue is really the HVAC. The touch sliders are mediocre, and I default to using the infotainment-based climate. Not so much of an issue since the auto climate is good, and I just leave it on 72. If I had to constantly fiddle, this would go into ugly.
  • Freeway economy. It's still fine, but 6th gear is surprisingly short and once you're above 75 it becomes a bit of a struggle to stay on the better side of 30mpg. 09G on my Mk7 had a comically high 6th gear, so I'm a bit spoiled by freeway mileage at speed.
Ugly:
  • VW killed all the cubby space. That drawer under the drives seat, the sunglass holder, and the cubby under the light switch are all gone. This got surprisingly little mention, and it's genuinely my greatest complaint about the car. My sunglasses now have to live in the door pocket.
Did insurance cover the tree?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Did insurance cover the tree?
Everything was covered, including (shockingly) my mods. Which is how I managed to walk away with more from the insurance payout than what the car cost me when new. Shoutout to Chubb at least, never claimed any of my mods and they didn't hesitate to cover them.

Of course the most important part was that nobody was hurt.

Reactions: the

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
That's wild... do you have a post somewhere outlining how that conversation went?
After insurance officially totaled the car, I simply brought up the fact that I had mods and asked if they would be covered. Rep cleared it with her manager, I supplied an itemized list of everything I'd put on the car, and they covered it all removing 10% of value per-year of ownership. Not too hung up on that, payout was way better than what I would have got selling them piecemeal on the secondhand market.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
After insurance officially totaled the car, I simply brought up the fact that I had mods and asked if they would be covered. Rep cleared it with her manager, I supplied an itemized list of everything I'd put on the car, and they covered it all removing 10% of value per-year of ownership. Not too hung up on that, payout was way better than what I would have got selling them piecemeal on the secondhand market.
What insurance company?