GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem when Flashing ECU on 2017 Golf Variant 1.4 Tsi

serozEa211WAG

Car(s)
Sportwagen mk7
Hi guys

Im in abit of a new sittuation to me i bought a personal flasher the other day from TVS Engineering so i could go Stage 2 after installing a downpipe on my car.

After following all the instructions to Flashing my ecu i get to the part were im going to load the new tune to my ECU and i get the error message i cant find any information about on TVS Engineerings website or anywere else online saying "Error during initial file decryption" has anybody got a clue what this message can accur from?

Since its the holidays i cannot get intouch with any support from the tuner either.

Ive got the MED 17.5.25 ECU if this helps ive read that a ecu can be locked from factory but this should not be a problem for the tuner right?

Kind regards

donJimenez

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GSW 1.8t
Not saying I know anything about this, but could it be the file corrupted during the download (assuming that's what you did)? Sucks to have to wait for support but, Merry Christmas...

serozEa211WAG

Car(s)
Sportwagen mk7
Not saying I know anything about this, but could it be the file corrupted during the download (assuming that's what you did)? Sucks to have to wait for support but, Merry Christmas...
Hi

Yeah actually i did, you get the file sent to your email from TVS and then you download it to your computer and open TVS Flasher program and select said tune and start programming the ECU at this stage i get this message of error...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Flashing your own ECU for the first time with a new product (to you) is not a good idea when the businesses are closed...as usually it can go wrong...

I know there is a stage3 kit made for the engine, but unless you have either a DSG, or have upgraded the clutch (if manual) then a good stage1 is more than enough for the gearbox/clutch to cope with...

serozEa211WAG

Car(s)
Sportwagen mk7
Flashing your own ECU for the first time with a new product (to you) is not a good idea when the businesses are closed...as usually it can go wrong...

I know there is a stage3 kit made for the engine, but unless you have either a DSG, or have upgraded the clutch (if manual) then a good stage1 is more than enough for the gearbox/clutch to cope with...
Hi Dave

Yeah youre right on that part, its probably a bad idea to flash it when support is unavailable.... just got so excited when the tune and flash device arrived since ive been trying to get a remap done now for months.... first i tried with BMS Jb4 but could not get that to work, i had lots of back and forward by mail with George and had it sent back to them and it revised and solderd another ground but still that did not work so i got a refund and decided i was gonna go with either Revo,Unitronic or TVS since they all have similar powerfugures(Revo 200hp Stage 1, Unitronic 196hp Stage 2 but finally settled for TVS stage 2+ with up to 205hp)

Since i already installed a CTS Turbo Downpipe with 200cell High Flow Cat
I needed software that deals with the MIL/CEL and TVS Engineering does have a Swedish distributor and a Shop 1 1/2 hr away if i needed any more help they seem like the best way to go.
Ive heard only good things from people that have Flashed their ECU/TCU.

Ive not deleted the Factory map and the car is totally driveable and has no issues on it so ill probably have to wait until their support opens monday and see what they say about the issue....
And about the Clutch and Gearbox they were gonna do some Datalogs with me and see that nothing was working to hard and putting any unwanted strain on the engine and hardware.

Im planning to in the future buy a Sachs upgraded flywheel kit and mount on the Golf but until that day comes i am going to be carful and not push the car beyond whats smart, i dont really do much "redlining" and pulls etc i really just want the power under the bonnet to be there when you want to have some fun and the rest of the time just use it as my daily...

The Turbo could also be an issue to upgrade later too the RTMG version of 240hp or TTE's 270hp version depending on if im gonna stay at the Stage 2 level or if im gonna go further but as of today im looking to get the stage 2 tune sorted and be happy with that.
Im not wanting to use piggybacks since i dont like having to be at the mercy of whoever designed it never really knowing how the engine is dooing with it.

Happy Holidays Dave.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sounds like you have a good thought out plan on the engine upgrades...& you appear to have done some research into it.
(y)

I can't add more to what you've stated above!!..:cool:

Oh yes I can...JB4...only does boost for our engine & has no control over timing for higher octane fuels...& I don't think it altered the fuel pump either...That's what I like about my Revo map, timing altered for higher octane & fuel pump is allowed to use all its capabilities instead of being strangled by the ECU......So removing your JB4 was a step in the right direction...

serozEa211WAG

Car(s)
Sportwagen mk7
Sounds like you have a good thought out plan on the engine upgrades...& you appear to have done some research into it.
(y)

I can't add more to what you've stated above!!..:cool:

Oh yes I can...JB4...only does boost for our engine & has no control over timing for higher octane fuels...& I don't think it altered the fuel pump either...That's what I like about my Revo map, timing altered for higher octane & fuel pump is allowed to use all its capabilities instead of being strangled by the ECU......So removing your JB4 was a step in the right direction...
Thanks mate!

Yeah i mean JB4s and Other Clamp On systems are okay when you wanna defeat the dealership from voiding your warranty or if you are leasing your car etc but when it comes to tuning your own veichle thats passed the first 3-5 year factory warrantys etc then a real Re-map is the only way to go since it takes care of so much more vital engine components.

Got a email back from TVS Engineering yesterday were they explained to me what happend, they also sent me a new map to flash so im planning on flashing it again today

The problem i experienced the other day was on their part... apperently the de-cryption error accured since they use several different encryption/decryption and flashing programs for all of Volkswagens different ECUS because they all have different stages of encryption so they had used the wrong one or missed a letter in the VIN nr when they were writing the code.
But they said they garanteed the new one they sent me was gonna workout so im looking forward to it and what gains i will get and how it will feel with the stage 2 😎

Happy holidays

serozEa211WAG

Car(s)
Sportwagen mk7
Hi guys

Juat an update from me,

TVS did a remote flash session with me and helped me tune the car with TeamViewer and it worked out great!
Im loving the new powerlevel of stage 2, and it runs soooo smooth and is just a delight to drive.

Great company with great customer service so i really recomend them if someone was looking for stage 2 on their mk6 mk7 Jetta/Golf with the ea211 1,4 TSI engine.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi guys

Juat an update from me,

TVS did a remote flash session with me and helped me tune the car with TeamViewer and it worked out great!
Im loving the new powerlevel of stage 2, and it runs soooo smooth and is just a delight to drive.

Great company with great customer service so i really recomend them if someone was looking for stage 2 on their mk6 mk7 Jetta/Golf with the ea211 1,4 TSI engine.
Thanks for the update. And congratulations. So many people never come back with the result. 👍