GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem Removing Rear End Links

Nyulak

Ready to race!
Attempted to install my rear sway bar yesterday, but slipped with the triple-square when loosening top end link nut and cracked the triple-square lip. Now my tool will constantly slip. Is there a method to remove the end link other than using a triple-square and wrench? I was considering buying a better set of end links and just removing the rear bar with the OEM links attached.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nope...the triple square is the only way to hold it on the OEM links.
(aftermarket links might have a inner allen hex or a nut on the back to hold them though)

Applying some PB Blaster/penetrating oil to those threads usually helps on removal first
And then anti-seize on the threads when reinstalling, for future removal, and you don't have this issue again (same thing goes for the front swaybar endlinks)

You only want to use the triple square bit to HOLD the stud in place. Use the wrench to remove the nut....don't torque down/apply much pressure to the triple square bit (as you found out)

But that link is toast now...plan on buying a new one.

If you don't want to upgrade to aftermarket ones though....just make a relief cut on the nut (with a Dremel) and it'll spin off eventually to get that ones side off. Or just cut the stud part off

Last edited:

ZKK007

Ready to race!

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I did the same thing.

I ended up removing the end links with the RSB because it made it easier to remove the bar altogether. I was able to remove and re-torque the end links by standing on my RSB once removed. I found once you tighten the nut to a certain point you don't need to hold the bolt with a triple square.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
After applying anti-seize, the triple square isn't ever needed again....the nut will spin right off & tighten down, with no issues, without the triple square

Yeah, when I read your original reply my immediate though was "why in the world didn't I do that?!"

Car feels very neutral with my RSB and stock end links, but I might try out the Neuspeed ones so I'll be sure to apply anti-seize then. Thanks for the tip!

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
I did the same thing. No need to worry though, here is the best price I found:

http://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oe-volkswagen/5q0505465c

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Damn, I did the same exact thing and paid $60+ shipped from ECS. Nice find, and I saved that site for the future.

No real hard feelings though because the car feels great with the 26mm H&R rear bar and stock end links. Made a much better difference than expected.

Now I'm wondering if upgrading the front bar would help any?

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
A little FYI for those having issues removing the rear link ends----
Get the vehicle up on jack stands and let the suspension hang down---the threaded rod that goes through the end of the bar will bind, slightly, allowing removal of the bolt without the use of a triple square socket to hold it.....Once loosened you can then support the vehicle on ramps to compress the suspension to allow for the removal of the link end from the bar.....

ZKK007

Ready to race!
A little FYI for those having issues removing the rear link ends----
Get the vehicle up on jack stands and let the suspension hang down---the threaded rod that goes through the end of the bar will bind, slightly, allowing removal of the bolt without the use of a triple square socket to hold it.....Once loosened you can then support the vehicle on ramps to compress the suspension to allow for the removal of the link end from the bar.....
I did something similar. I just used my car jack to raise the lower control arm and load the suspension a little. Enough to easily slide the end link back in without binding.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I used a lift on my car and allowing the suspension to hang or supporting the control arm with a transmission jack still did not help with the upper end link nut. I wound up undoing the lower connection and then removed the sway bar brackets, which then allowed me to move the end links to a position where I could use an impact wrench to remove the upper nut.