GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem Caused by the Dealership

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe they did it backwards? There is an airflow direction.
Don't think that's restrictive enough to cause noises. I did that once on a Veloster Turbo and didn't hear any difference.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Bro. When I got my very first access port. No fucking lie. I plugged it in to charge over night. I shit u not, I thought it had a built in battery 😂
Ok you win.

When I was 17 years old I went to a dragstrip and they had jet dragsters. My first thought after seeing the tires was how do they get traction with those small tires. Thankfully it was just a thought to myself and I didn't ask somebody before I realized how stupid that was.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Ok you win.

When I was 17 years old I went to a dragstrip and they had jet dragsters. My first thought after seeing the tires was how do they get traction with those small tires. Thankfully it was just a thought to myself and I didn't ask somebody before I realized how stupid that was.
LMFAO!

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thanks guys! I checked the airflow direction of the filter and it looks like it's seated correctly. I don't think it was sabotage, I've been to this dealer a couple of times and they've been alright so far.

As far as debris is concerned, I'll take it apart as soon as I can, and see if there's any easy fix so I don't have to involve the dealer. Otherwise I'll be bringing it back. After owning the car for the last 4-5 years I doubt it's a coincidence that the sound started the day I brought it in, they probably accidentally nicked the fan, or something fell in there.

Thanks everyone for your input! Very much appreciated.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thanks guys! I checked the airflow direction of the filter and it looks like it's seated correctly. I don't think it was sabotage, I've been to this dealer a couple of times and they've been alright so far.

As far as debris is concerned, I'll take it apart as soon as I can, and see if there's any easy fix so I don't have to involve the dealer. Otherwise I'll be bringing it back. After owning the car for the last 4-5 years I doubt it's a coincidence that the sound started the day I brought it in, they probably accidentally nicked the fan, or something fell in there.

Thanks everyone for your input! Very much appreciated.
I doubt it’s sabotage too. I’ll just say it’s a weird coincidence

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
agree with something fell in it. Aren't there little bumpers (gears?) that fall out when doing filter. Hopefully someone with memory will tell us. The denial from the dealer is telling on their attitude, the blanket "no way" denial instead of a "let me take a look" is just wrong.

Mud

If you are lucky it's a 10 mm socket! ;)

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
agree with something fell in it. Aren't there little bumpers (gears?) that fall out when doing filter. Hopefully someone with memory will tell us. The denial from the dealer is telling on their attitude, the blanket "no way" denial instead of a "let me take a look" is just wrong.

Mud

If you are lucky it's a 10 mm socket! ;)
The Dealers attitude for a paying customer is way off. There is no reason the servicing tech can't check it real quick. Most likely a leaf is in there. These will generate some ungodly noises when in there.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Most likely they pulled the filter and there was a piece of debris on it that fell into the fan cage and now is causing noise. Happens a lot. All they would need to do is either 1) pull the blower or 2) if possible, get a blow gun in there to blow the debris out.

I have seen napkins in those filters, acorns, rocks, feathers, parts of pine cones and many other assortments of items. The acorn made a hell of a racket. They should be able to clean it easily with little issue.

More than likely, this is exactly what happened. It would take longer to go back to the dealer than it would to just drop the blower motor and see if there's anything in there.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
More than likely, this is exactly what happened. It would take longer to go back to the dealer than it would to just drop the blower motor and see if there's anything in there.
100%. I’m all about holding them to work you have paid for, but I would probably do the same and just pull it myself.

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thank you for the suggestions to pull the blower motor!! I took it apart (took literally less than 3 minutes after watching a YouTube video). Turns out there was a tiny leaf that had gotten into the fan, probably when they replaced the filter. I put it back together and there was no more noise!!

Thanks again everyone!! Saved me a trip to the dealership.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-184518_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-184518_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67