GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Prepping for 2020 AutoX: Endlinks, brake fluid, alignment, spacers

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I picked up a set of Moog endlinks for $50 and will have them installed. They're basically heavy duty OEM from what I'm told. My stock endlinks have developed some squeaking over the last thousand miles.

Clean the exterior & paint with rust-preventive paint before installing them. I got mine from Rockauto for about $17 each.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Nothing wrong with running GS, and you'll have fun, but if you're planning on autocrossing longterm, STH is really the best home for a non VAQ DSG car.

Somemore negative camber in front, a LSD and a tune make these cars so much fun to autocross.

After a year of GS in the 18 S, another in a 19 Rabbit (VAQ kept front tire temps much lower), I've moved to STH with a mild prep, but man is it so much funner to drive. I've dropped a few spots in overall pax from where I normally finish, but I have a grin from ear to ear when I get out of the car now. It just dances around the cones now.

Having a non-s is the exact reason to prep for STH, it fixes all of the unfortunate limitations of the platform (like camber and LSD). Glad to hear you're enjoying it / hoping for the same!

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
After a year of GS in the 18 S, another in a 19 Rabbit (VAQ kept front tire temps much lower), I've moved to STH with a mild prep, but man is it so much funner to drive. I've dropped a few spots in overall pax from where I normally finish, but I have a grin from ear to ear when I get out of the car now. It just dances around the cones now.
I'd almost consider that myself, but I don't want to make the car much lower or stiffer..
What are you doing for suspension and wheel/tire sizes for mild prep?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd almost consider that myself, but I don't want to make the car much lower or stiffer..
What are you doing for suspension and wheel/tire sizes for mild prep?

I bought APR springs, which are lower than the claim .5 to .75, but lowered car about 1". I'm using stock struts and shocks until they die, then I'll go Koni. 26mm RSB. Eurosport camber kit. I was able to get -2.4, but requires loosening strut bearing bolts and the three bolts securing ball joint to LCA, and using all available play. Moog rear end links. AP OTS stg 1 91 oct tune, but I run 93 oct. I do this because I'm trying prolong the life of the clutch. REe16 17 x 8.5 with 245/40 17 RE71R's. I didn't go 255 because I had a new set of 245 from my GS build, but will go 255 next time.

I also added Brembo 4 pots, which aren't needed, but since I track too, I was going for cheaper pads, more choices, and ease of swapping.

The car is so much fun to drive now and when I run my street tires, it's as well behaved as it was stock, though my street tires are 225/45 17 FK510's' so they help a lot with that. I threw them on my old GS Runlite wheels and sold the 18" Pretorias and stock tires.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I bought APR springs, which are lower than the claim .5 to .75, but lowered car about 1". I'm using stock struts and shocks until they die, then I'll go Koni. 26mm RSB. Eurosport camber kit. I was able to get -2.4, but requires loosening strut bearing bolts and the three bolts securing ball joint to LCA, and using all available play. Moog rear end links. AP OTS stg 1 91 oct tune, but I run 93 oct. I do this because I'm trying prolong the life of the clutch. REe16 17 x 8.5 with 245/40 17 RE71R's. I didn't go 255 because I had a new set of 245 from my GS build, but will go 255 next time.

I also added Brembo 4 pots, which aren't needed, but since I track too, I was going for cheaper pads, more choices, and ease of swapping.

The car is so much fun to drive now and when I run my street tires, it's as well behaved as it was stock, though my street tires are 225/45 17 FK510's' so they help a lot with that. I threw them on my old GS Runlite wheels and sold the 18" Pretorias and stock tires.
This sounds like a really, really fun setup. Curious how you like the brembos?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This sounds like a really, really fun setup. Curious how you like the brembos?

I was so happy how it turned out and I nailed the alignment on the first shot. It's a different car.

I did the Macan setup with mk6 R rotors. I'm loving them. Much better modulation that the PP.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I was so happy how it turned out and I nailed the alignment on the first shot. It's a different car.

I did the Macan setup with mk6 R rotors. I'm loving them. Much better modulation that the PP.
Yeah getting to dial the alignment is something I haven't done a lot of in the past, but I know a few fast FWD guys so with their input and some of the stuff I've seen around here I should have a decent starting point. Finding a good alignment shop has been the bigger hassle.

I have the stock non-pp brakes right now, they've held up fine with just fluids and pads. I'm hoping once I get an LSD (in the coming months) and I can go full off with the XDS that the non-pp brakes will do even better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah getting to dial the alignment is something I haven't done a lot of in the past, but I know a few fast FWD guys so with their input and some of the stuff I've seen around here I should have a decent starting point. Finding a good alignment shop has been the bigger hassle.

I have the stock non-pp brakes right now, they've held up fine with just fluids and pads. I'm hoping once I get an LSD (in the coming months) and I can go full off with the XDS that the non-pp brakes will do even better.

I have VAQ , and made a lot of tweaks with obd11, but left xds on normal based on input from people that had tried it on off, weak and normal. If you have an open diff, off is the right answer. If you have a LSD or VAQ, I think you should try it all 3 ways and see which is faster with your driving style.