GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Prep for upcoming HPDE

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Getting the GTI back on the track in September.

What psi are you guys using for the 660’s? We’re running -2 camber front and back. 225/45/17. Most probably ambient temperature in the high eighties. Low nineties.

Also, unrelated to the GTI… getting the ILX (think 9th Gen Civic Si) ready to run as well. Running 245/40/17 V730 on -1.7 front camber and -1.9 rear camber. Tire pressure recommendation?

Also related to the ILX (asking here because the ILX forums are dormant)…. I’ve got the wonderful selection (these are not my preferred pads but asking for some feedback) between Powerstop Track Day and EBC Yellow in terms of pad choice. Which of these two would you use? Last I tried yellows was 15 years ago. Intermediate group sessions.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I have not used Powerstop Track Day, but have used EBC Yellow(briefly). EBC Yellow is not really meant for any form of track use if you're pushing hard. They may be fine for a few events if you're easy on the brakes.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'm right around 40psi for my RT660's, but I also understand track duty versus autox is way different, so probably really not relevant to your question. My V730's were about 2 psi less f/r, but again for autox.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thx. Yes we’ve been autocrossing this year and that is the psi we also use for the events. Haven’t hit the track in a couple years and I vaguely remember running at 35psi but that was on the 615k’s .

Reactions: krs

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
EBC states a max temp range of 900 deg C for the Yellows. Powerstop says 932 deg F for the Track Day, which puts them in similar range as a Hawk HP+ or a Porterfield R4S.
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with either of these recently.

Last edited:

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
As mentioned, youll need to monitor tire psi after every run and bleed out. I run 37psi hot on both wheel/tire setups.

For pads i use PFC/11 up front and carbotech xp10 in the rear.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I like 35psi hot on my v730’s, that worked fine for my RE-11’s too.

I wouldn’t recommend yellows up front for tracks with heavy high speed braking. They can do all right out back.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks for the tire pressure recommendations guys. Finally ran the event yesterday. Both cars set at 35psi and they ran so well we basically made no further adjustments.

Ran the GTI with Porterfield R4 up front and R4S in back and there simply is no fade even after a half hour of consistent lapping. RT660’s just ask for more laps.

The Powerstop TrackDay pads on my ILX would give me a good ten minutes before begging to come back in. They had good modulation otherwise. The V730’s are super communicative and I was able to get that sedan to pivot and rotate a few times thanks to those tires. They even did ok on a damp morning track surface (new set).

Word of note, I’ve always purchased a fifth wheel/tire combo for track sets and yesterday this methodology proved once again to save the day…. Checking psi in the paddocks in the morning before laps began one valve stem began hissing air after checking the pressure with the guage. It wouldn’t stop leaking air. Luckily that fifth Sparco wheel and 660 tire was there to save the day (a 50/50 chance with the 660s to be honest due to the direction! A 100% certainty with the V730).

97437468-27DB-4AE1-ADE5-27F05F197D95.jpeg

7CC46399-B3B9-437D-9819-B05DFD39A479.jpeg

The kid in the GTI hitting Turn 6 pretty nicely.

Without traffic

With traffic

If anyone is curious what lapping in a 200hp upmarket Honda Civic looks like…

Last edited: