GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Premium gas in 1.8L TSI?!

sharkey

Almost time for my first fill up after buying the Golf 2 weeks ago (Hey I also have 2 cycles and a van I use :D). One of the selling points was using 87 octane in it. I'll use a couple tanks and see. It drives fine as is. I'll switch to 91 octane for a few tanks and see if I can tell a difference. My R1200RT requires a higher octane. My 919 takes regular and my van takes diesel.

raimo_81

Passed Driver's Ed
So I am on a second tank of 91, we notice a little less lag when taking off from a standstill. Essentially the car would crawl away slowly until the turbo kicks in and then jolt off, when using 87 gas. With 91, you feel it take off a little quicker and it makes the turbo kick less harsh. Will get back with findings on mileage after a few more tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themyst

Ready to race!
if the manual says 87, 87 is fine. on my 2016 GTI says regular unleaded fuel. Stock, I don't see why not. it won't blow my car up, and for daily driving I won't notice the difference. a tuned GTI however is another story.

sangeseven

Ready to race!
Ive been running 89 most of the time, when i decide to switch to 93 and hope for gains i am never fully convinced it does. Yes, its probably better for the engine but as far as gains go i cant feel shit. As a Montreal 90% city driver it doesnt do much on fuel economy either ( that could also be because im pushing it a little harder to see if there are effects). Id say save the money and pump Shell 89, get those AirMiles.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
I would be surprised that it would adjust at all. My u understanding is that the engine is tuned to work optimally with a certain fuel grade and performs better or worse with different grades. At some point, a low octane fuel will make the engine underperform and maybe even give problems. But on the other spectrum, there may not be a point in using gas with overly high octane if the engine is not tuned to take advantage of it, however unless you put jet fuel you shouldn't be harming the engine either. I suppose that finding the right octane fuel is best, without any overkill. For a 1.8t, I have been recommended 91 octane (in Canada). Supposed to actually make a little more power than 87, while even reducing the minimal lag at takeoff from stop. Can't wait to burn through this tank and try. However, I have been told that there is a slight adjustment period until you actually notice a difference, need to fully burn out the older fuel and clean up the system with the higher octane fuel before you can see a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey whats up! So I currently have a 1.8T 2017 VW Golf and I am at 82500 km in mileage and I have always used regular unleaded gas. But some people were telling me I am ruining my engine for not putting premium gas? Is that even a thing I swear on my gas door says ONLY put regular gas. Furthermore, some people also told me that I could gain 20 extra horsepower by switching to premium gas is that even accurate? I mean I dont notice any issues thus far with regular gas consumption.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Regular is fine unless you're tuned

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Hey whats up! So I currently have a 1.8T 2017 VW Golf and I am at 82500 km in mileage and I have always used regular unleaded gas. But some people were telling me I am ruining my engine for not putting premium gas? Is that even a thing I swear on my gas door says ONLY put regular gas. Furthermore, some people also told me that I could gain 20 extra horsepower by switching to premium gas is that even accurate? I mean I dont notice any issues thus far with regular gas consumption.

You'll get "20hp" only if the car can take advantage of the higher octane. If you get a tune...a tune will add more boost, timing, fuel to take advantage of the higher octane. 93 octane tunes can be a bit more aggressive than 91.

Some car manufacturers will have a disclaimer that the car will only make the advertised horsepower with "premium" fuel. You can use lower octane fuel and the car will run just fine...but it won't make the XXX horsepower that is advertised.

I remember the early GTI had 91 as a minimum...but I think after 2016...it says 87 on the gas door. My 2017 says 87 on the fuel door. I think that was done to lower the fuel cost per year. I don't think I know anyone that has a GTI and runs 87.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
You'll get "20hp" only if the car can take advantage of the higher octane. If you get a tune...a tune will add more boost, timing, fuel to take advantage of the higher octane. 93 octane tunes can be a bit more aggressive than 91.

Some car manufacturers will have a disclaimer that the car will only make the advertised horsepower with "premium" fuel. You can use lower octane fuel and the car will run just fine...but it won't make the XXX horsepower that is advertised.

I remember the early GTI had 91 as a minimum...but I think after 2016...it says 87 on the gas door. My 2017 says 87 on the fuel door. I think that was done to lower the fuel cost per year. I don't think I know anyone that has a GTI and runs 87.
Thanks for the info much appreciated!

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
On the contrary. A turbo engine has a lower compression ratio.
Well no dealership told me that from the start about such info when i bought my car brand new 4 years ago.. So still not buying it other then cleaner engine claim vs any turbo related opinions.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Well no dealership told me that from the start about such info when i bought my car brand new 4 years ago.. So still not buying it other then cleaner engine claim vs any turbo related opinions.
Front "people" at common brand dealerships know almost to nothing about the vehicles they are selling or servicing; but....can you please elaborate on the cleaner engine claim.

I attached a picture of what the average consumer believes and oil change looks like...
542202_2xxbx1v6brmior9.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you car says it can take at min. 87 it can safely take at min. 87. Simple. It’s a min so yes, you can run 93 or what have you but keep in mind that unless you are seeing timing correction on 87, running 93 will not do a thing for you. A small turbo 4 will likely see some bump in power on the top end/WOT running premium over regular and many owner’s manuals will state as much in their power figures “*achieved with premium fuel”. Premium fuel isn’t giving you a better fuel, a cleaner burning fuel, or a more detergent-rich fuel (most of the time/depends on brand/Top Tier takes care of this). Octane rating is simply the ability of the fuel to resist detonation or “knock”. Placebo is a powerful drug...

Your car isn't idling smoother.

Your car doesn't take off from a stop smoother.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Octane count is definitely not indication of quality. If @Mk7GolfDisease is in BC, this post was a massive eye opener for me. And it seems that there can be some big quality differences among the top-tier brands also. Luckily where I live, PetroCan 94 (which appears to be pretty consistently E10) is everywhere. Unluckily, we have no E85...