GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Premature OE battery failure? 2018 Golf R

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Anyone aware of a TSB for defective batteries? Seems to be a common issue with the OEM battery.

In-service date of my 2018 Golf R was 5/15/2018. The original battery is draining down to 8.1v within a day or two, which isn't enough juice to start the engine. (This thing sure goes nuts with all the driver aid warnings when the battery voltage is low)

Battery was completely dead right before taking in for service last week. Asked them to check the battery, Service Writer said it was fine but no note on the repair order. VW service dpt says battery warranty is 3/36, which the car is past 3yrs in-service.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
my 2016 gti battery needed replaced in 2020 and my 2017 tiguan needed a new one in 2021. seems like 3-4 years is all these batteries get

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I replaced mine today, my 18 was purchased in September, I think. I went with an AGM because I do a lot of short trips and it had nearly double the cca of the factory battery for a manual car. Extremes are hard on batteries, our summers led to mine's quick demise, your winter's likely got to yours, but three years is a pretty solid run, I tend to start paying attention to slow starts around the two year mark. I'd ask if yours was a manual, but 18 DSG didn't have start/stop, right? I think it was 19 that the DSG cars got start/stop and came with an H6 instead of the smaller H5, the battery tray and clamp have provisions for both.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
It's a bad battery and 3 years isn't bad in my book. Generally here in Phx you can plan on batteries lasting 2 maybe 3 years.
This. Heat kills batteries. My 18 battery lasted 2 years. My 15 battery made it 3 years and 1 month. From august 18 2014 to September 9 2017.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
You got a good one. My '16 R's battery died right at 24 months. Back in the day my .:R32 's original battery died in 14 months. VW is notorious for crappy OEM batteries, has been for ages. Plus there's a ton of under-hood heat due to the proximity to the turbo, and that just makes it a bad environment for battery longevity.

Replace it with a Group 48 AGM battery, longest full replacement warranty you can find.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
My GTI battery lasted 90,000 miles. So much for cheap batteries. The climate here in SE Michigan is fairly mild these days but until it died it cranked over the engine without fail.

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
My daughter's 2017 Elantra just needed a new battery after 4-1/2 years. Not so bad for cars nowadays with middle of the road OEM batteries and lots of electronics running in the background. OTOH, I just replaced my 2011 F150's battery after ten years and 137,000 miles, well, just because, and it was starting to look a bit sketchy.....

- Bob

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I preemptively replaced my battery in my 18 SE at the two year mark because I live in Phoenix and it was still okay. My replacement AGM battery died after 1 year.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Whelp, battery died yet again after sitting for two days. Tried to jump start it this morning to take it to the dealer and the battery went completely dead right after hitting the start button and had to get it flat bedded to the service department. This has the Korean EPM(?) battery. Hoping VW will cover it under warranty. 🤞