GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Precison Raceworks Stage 3 LPFP DIY/Tips

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You’d need a whole new hose. I meant just a shorter hose. I don’t think you could effectively shorten the hose without it leaking.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Just to follow up v2.0: I was still having sporadic fuel gauge issues after the float worked loose. Turns out the sending unit clip was just barely hitting part of the pump housing during its stroke. If conditions were right it wouldn't move. This should only impact LPFP installs that reuse/modify the plastic pump housing. Just wanted to leave a resolution for anyone else who might have a fuel gauge issue after a LPFP install.

This picture is of my original/stock fuel pump and the two pieces that were hitting. (Forgot to take a pic on the APR/305)

Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Just to follow up v2.0: I was still having sporadic fuel gauge issues after the float worked loose. Turns out the sending unit clip was just barely hitting part of the pump housing during its stroke. If conditions were right it wouldn't move. This should only impact LPFP installs that reuse/modify the plastic pump housing. Just wanted to leave a resolution for anyone else who might have a fuel gauge issue after a LPFP install.

This picture is of my original/stock fuel pump and the two pieces that were hitting. (Forgot to take a pic on the APR/305)

Similar situation only for mine it was the excess float rod itself hitting the 525 LPFP on the PagParts housing which then snapped one of the top plastic arms holding it in place. Ended up needing a tow home after running out of fuel with a half tank showing : o ). Replaced the sending unit/sensor and cut 1/4" off the rod. Hasn't been a problem since but boy these LPFP installs are fraught. Happy for the future folks that can drop-in (truly drop-in, not hack/drill/twist-crush in) a brushless unit never needing a dedicated fuel controller nor run out of pump.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Similar situation only for mine it was the excess float rod itself hitting the 525 LPFP on the PagParts housing which then snapped one of the top plastic arms holding it in place. Ended up needing a tow home after running out of fuel with a half tank showing : o ). Replaced the sending unit/sensor and cut 1/4" off the rod. Hasn't been a problem since but boy these LPFP installs are fraught. Happy for the future folks that can drop-in (truly drop-in, not hack/drill/twist-crush in) a brushless unit never needing a dedicated fuel controller nor run out of pump.

Now what fun would that be?

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m having extreme fuel cut issues after installing PR Walbro 450 kit. Had the pump check no leaks and can’t find the issue. At this point I’m trying to see which true drop-in solution is the way to go. I’m in 93 pump, vortex XL, MPI 925cc.

what would you recommended given your experience ?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I’m having extreme fuel cut issues after installing PR Walbro 450 kit. Had the pump check no leaks and can’t find the issue. At this point I’m trying to see which true drop-in solution is the way to go. I’m in 93 pump, vortex XL, MPI 925cc.

I went with the A2B RS3 Brushless. It is $950 shipped which is crazy. Install is a breeze. Also, no core replacement is required (nor is there a core charge). Check out the thread below as Dubstro has the same pump, MPI, and a Vortex XL. I have a standard housing and all the same fueling mods going in the car Tuesday. Also, just order the fuel line kit at the same time. They can customize it to what you need. I already had upgraded lines in the bay due to having a flex fuel sensor, so A2B added the Bundy fitting I needed to connect to that.

https://www.a2bmotorsport.net/a2brs...ort-rs3-brushless-fuel-pump-retrofit-kit.html

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...orts-rs3-brushless-lpfp-fwd-awd.377632/page-3

Also, check out Innovative Motorsports. They make a similar replacement at $1100 plus your core.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

My experience is very limited. I lean heavily on the folks here to guide me. The only things I'd change if I were to do it again would be:

- Upgrading my PagParts order to include the assembly pre-fitted into a basket.
- Not going with PM4 (or brushless to alleviate the need for an external controller) right out of the gate.

In my case, with my PagParts unit I would be at IROZ brushless pricing anyhow by the time I get PM4. There looks to be even more cost-effective brushless solutions now and potentially on the horizon. I was told by a reputable tuner that I wouldn't need PM4 given my modest goals for this pre-built phase. I still believe that to be the case, but had I known specifically how they work around it, I would have added (and still might) it for peace of mind alone.

In your case, if your tuner isn't up to speed on detuning a higher flowing pump with the stock controller I'd go PM4 to essentially null out voltage/pump tuning issues. If money isn't a factor, I'd be calling IROZ. The price gap (IMO) compared the cheaper brushless alternatives isn't big enough to justify being a test case.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I went with the A2B RS3 Brushless. It is $950 shipped which is crazy. Install is a breeze. Also, no core replacement is required (nor is there a core charge). Check out the thread below as Dubstro has the same pump, MPI, and a Vortex XL. I have a standard housing and all the same fueling mods going in the car Tuesday. Also, just order the fuel line kit at the same time. They can customize it to what you need. I already had upgraded lines in the bay due to having a flex fuel sensor, so A2B added the Bundy fitting I needed to connect to that.

https://www.a2bmotorsport.net/a2brs...ort-rs3-brushless-fuel-pump-retrofit-kit.html

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...orts-rs3-brushless-lpfp-fwd-awd.377632/page-3

Also, check out Innovative Motorsports. They make a similar replacement at $1100 plus your core.

Looks promising but less than 10 days ago you had hiccups and misfires which you chalked up to acceptable random anomalies while A2B had multiple cars in their shop swapping out pumps and modules to de-bug. Honestly you should add a disclaimer to posts like this that say something like:

* - Misfires and random fuel cuts acceptable.

Seriously, so when you gush about how something is a breeze, people are armed with all of the information.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
My experience is very limited. I lean heavily on the folks here to guide me. The only things I'd change if I were to do it again would be:

- Upgrading my PagParts order to include the assembly pre-fitted into a basket.
- Not going with PM4 (or brushless to alleviate the need for an external controller) right out of the gate.

In my case, with my PagParts unit I would be at IROZ brushless pricing anyhow by the time I get PM4. There looks to be even more cost-effective brushless solutions now and potentially on the horizon. I was told by a reputable tuner that I wouldn't need PM4 given my modest goals for this pre-built phase. I still believe that to be the case, but had I known specifically how they work around it, I would have added (and still might) it for peace of mind alone.

In your case, if your tuner isn't up to speed on detuning a higher flowing pump with the stock controller I'd go PM4 to essentially null out voltage/pump tuning issues. If money isn't a factor, I'd be calling IROZ. The price gap (IMO) compared the cheaper brushless alternatives isn't big enough to justify being a test case.
I'm only going to be running 93 pump so I didn't think I'd need to go with PM4 with just the Walbro 450 pump. Money is definitely a factor at this point because it was spent on paying for install on the turbo/mpi/lpfp. I'm not as mechanically inclined as most in here, shame on me.

Sooo... I definitely don't want to have to deal the misfires and random fuel cuts with the A2B route. Looks like buying the assembled bucket with the PR Walbro 450 kit from EQT is the best option for me unless someone argues other wise. I'll swap buckets and send out the one I'm having issues with to Precision Raceworks for testing.