GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Precison Raceworks Stage 3 LPFP DIY/Tips

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Question for those of you with a PR Walbro LPFP installed in a DIY hacked up basket. Just riffing here, but would it make sense, given the instances of screws backing out/found floating in the fuel tank, to plastic weld and encase the screws holding the standoffs once tightened to the basket? That way you could potentially minimize any potential leaks from those three drilled out areas and prevent the screws from backing out.

I haven’t had my LPFP installed yet but dunk tested it to check my DIY job for leaks (it’s solid)...just wondering if the hack job can be futureproofed?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Question for those of you with a PR Walbro LPFP installed in a DIY hacked up basket. Just riffing here, but would it make sense, given the instances of screws backing out/found floating in the fuel tank, to plastic weld and encase the screws holding the standoffs once tightened to the basket? That way you could potentially minimize any potential leaks from those three drilled out areas and prevent the screws from backing out.

I haven’t had my LPFP installed yet but dunk tested it to check my DIY job for leaks (it’s solid)...just wondering if the hack job can be futureproofed?

I used hose spigot bib washers (rubber) to test. Zero leaks and time will tell if they hold up. Some rubbers are near impervious to fuel and are used to coat paper gaskets for carb floats etc. I wouldn’t trust cheap no-name ones, mine were from a local plumbing store. They were the perfect shape and mashed into the hole as if I poured, and let cure, thick rubber filling each hole. Essentially the same design as these, the shape is what is unique and worked well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pack-Assorted-Rubber-Washers/3380496

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I used hose spigot bib washers (rubber) to test. Zero leaks and time will tell if they hold up. Some rubbers are near impervious to fuel and are used to coat paper gaskets for carb floats etc. I wouldn’t trust cheap no-name ones, mine were from a local plumbing store. They were the perfect shape and mashed into the hole as if I poured, and let cure, thick rubber filling each hole. Essentially the same design as these, the shape is what is unique and worked well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pack-Assorted-Rubber-Washers/3380496

Yeah but how well do they stand up to Ethanol?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Yeah but how well do they stand up to Ethanol?

No idea TBH. Heck of a point though. I won't be running anything beyond pump 93 but I'd bet they'd break down fairly quickly on a strong blend.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
So if running E is in the mix...instead of rubber washers, would encasing those 3 sets of standoff screws in plastic be a reasonable safety measure? Any better ideas?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
So if running E is in the mix...instead of rubber washers, would encasing those 3 sets of standoff screws in plastic be a reasonable safety measure? Any better ideas?

I wouldn’t want to destroy the basket if I had to swap the pump down the road but what about drill out the weld, then fill in the entire cavity, then drill a proper hole for the screw while leveraging a dot of loctite on the first few threads? In that scenario I don’t think any sort of gasket would be needed because it sounds like a gushing leak is the problem. I hadn’t heard of screws backing out but what is pretty evident after drilling out the OEM welds is the resulting hole is just too big to be predictably/reliably sealed up enough by the head of the screw.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Sounds good, maybe I’m just overthinking this. When I fill the assembled basket up, I don’t have any dribblers. Maybe some Loctite is all that’s needed. Thanks for the input.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Very rough but I broke it and NO excuses. 1in by 1/8 aluminum bar if anyone does the same
20201007_165421.jpg
20201007_165435.jpg
20201007_165430.jpg

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ouch. Well at least you got a solution i guess

Peylix

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright. Extreme noob here.

I'm currently IS38 on stock fueling. Running APR's Stage 3 IS38 tune.

I'm looking to dabble with E30-E50. Not looking to go full E85. (Yet). Just blends for now.

Can you run the PR450 without changing my tune? Does APR even have a LPFP revision? Does JB4 have this as an option?

Or can I just get away with an HPA HPFP and stay on stock LPFP?

I plan on moving to either EQT or 5150 for actual Ethanol blend maps. But have the ability to stack JB4 right now.

From my understanding. I SHOULD be ok with just a HPFP right now right? Or is it the other way around?