GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pre-owned JB4 vs New

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
You can get TD1'd for the increased torque/boost they'd see on the ECU. No harm in *trying* to get warranty work done after running one (I won't judge) but don't assume it's a free lunch. I've talked to enough guys who've seen JB4 cars lean out to never want one on a car I'd buy.
There’s not a single documented case on this platform in someone getting td1d via ecu values. The ecu is seeing stock values. Unless you have fol stupid high, the values are all stock ones. The only physical evidence that’ll be left behind is a visible hole from the afr tap.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
So APR is bottom barrel?

Yes, and their tunes are responsible for blowing up engines. There couldn't possibly be any other explanation...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, and their tunes are responsible for blowing up engines. There couldn't possibly be any other explanation...
I'm the last guy to defend APR but if their tunes were so bad how do you explain their lasting popularity? They wouldn't be around if their tunes blew up that many engines plus they do offer an extra cost warranty. Also why would so many VW dealers tune using APR. All tuners have had engines blow and it's not necessarily the fault of the tune.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I'm the last guy to defend APR but if their tunes were so bad how do you explain their lasting popularity? They wouldn't be around if their tunes blew up that many engines plus they do offer an extra cost warranty. Also why would so many VW dealers tune using APR. All tuners have had engines blow and it's not necessarily the fault of the tune.
I know APR gets a lot of shit, but at the same time I give em some slack as they are the most popular tuning choice and by volume handle more customers. Higher sample size means more issues are bound to pop up. I'm sure even EQT had some freak issues happen that would have happened regardless of tuner but they just drew the short end of the stick. APR does release good products and they at least spend time to R&D instead of solely ripping off their competitors and going to a china vendor then slapping their name on it. I also have a gut feeling that competitors do negative press on APR to boost their own company. No proof, but I've worked at companies long enough to know shit like this happens. Doesn't take much to make an account and state "this competitor's tune blew my engine!". However, I have seen a lot of trusted members on audizine and here bring up APR in a negative way so I am wary of their tunes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There are more APR stage 1 and 2 cars there than possibly all the little tuners combined! The failure rate is very low. A lot of people don't properly maintain their cars and blame a tune for engine failure. Or their car was messed up already, tuned it and it pushed things over their edge.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You can get TD1'd for the increased torque/boost they'd see on the ECU. No harm in *trying* to get warranty work done after running one (I won't judge) but don't assume it's a free lunch. I've talked to enough guys who've seen JB4 cars lean out to never want one on a car I'd buy.

I actually know someone from VWoA. He straight told me that they cannot tell someone had a JB4 attached to the vehicle. He said maybe if they check the long term fuel trims...but nothing solid.

The JB4 still uses the factory safety protocols. There is little chance that it can damage your engine.

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
Can you show evidence of this anywhere? Not trying to discredit your statement but it would be beneficial for individuals to see the evidence of this. Big pro of JB4 is the ability to remove and take to dealer for warranty claims and NOT flagging TD1 due to ecu still receiving stock boost values hence “piggyback” however I could be wrong, not an expert. Just would like to see evidence of TD1 with jb4 being culprit.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There’s not a single documented case on this platform in someone getting td1d via ecu values. The ecu is seeing stock values. Unless you have fol stupid high, the values are all stock ones. The only physical evidence that’ll be left behind is a visible hole from the afr tap.

But I heard from someone, that read somewhere, from someone, who heard from someone, that it happens all the time.

With that said, the ECU will snapshot faults and store them with information and time stamps. You can see these stored faults and snapshots with OBD11 or VCDS.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can you show evidence of this anywhere? Not trying to discredit your statement but it would be beneficial for individuals to see the evidence of this. Big pro of JB4 is the ability to remove and take to dealer for warranty claims and NOT flagging TD1 due to ecu still receiving stock boost values hence “piggyback” however I could be wrong, not an expert. Just would like to see evidence of TD1 with jb4 being culprit.
No he can't provide evidence. He's an anti tuner. He said he's seen evidence of a JB4 leaning out. Since a JB4 only boosts the stock tune the stock tune must have gotten severely lean and in that case without the JB4 it would have run even leaner.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
No he can't provide evidence. He's an anti tuner. He said he's seen evidence of a JB4 leaning out. Since a JB4 only boosts the stock tune the stock tune must have gotten severely lean and in that case without the JB4 it would have run even leaner.
It's possible to lean the car out with a JB4. You'd have to fuck up the fuel bias settings, or use a custom boost curve that's extreme. Both problems are on the user.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Thanks for the input guys. Im still hunting for a used JB4 for a good price - but it's also not high on my priority list just yet haha

herder

Car(s)
2019 R
I have a 2019 and would love something to be able to keep my warranty. However while researching the jb4 I have found a lot of posts recently of people saying VW is now flagging the jb4, even Tiguan threads. I have seen a lot of BMW owners claim warranty denied.

Are we still confident the VW is not able to flag this? Looks like BMW is.

If im going to lose my warranty I may go another route.

Thanks