GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pre-owned JB4 vs New

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2019 and would love something to be able to keep my warranty. However while researching the jb4 I have found a lot of posts recently of people saying VW is now flagging the jb4, even Tiguan threads. I have seen a lot of BMW owners claim warranty denied.

Are we still confident the VW is not able to flag this? Looks like BMW is.

If im going to lose my warranty I may go another route.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

The guys who have removed it before going to the dealer have been okay from what I've seen. It's not like a tune that flashes the ECU.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Welcome to the forum.

The guys who have removed it before going to the dealer have been okay from what I've seen. It's not like a tune that flashes the ECU.
It’s always hearsay with the whole “I heard xxx got flagged” you never actually hear it straight from a person it’s happened to.

Just like earlier posts “I’ve heard from many people their car leaned out on Jb4” cool story with no back up. But now a person will read that comment and repeat it back in a few months on a different post.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
They absolutely can see boost and torque over spec logged that you cannot hide with a piggyback. Just run an actual tune, you'll be less likely to have problems anyway.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
I just had a good amount of warranty work done, at dealer, with the JB installed. Love it on my car! A flash tune is an almost undeniable flag. The JB has been a really fun alternative to a flash tune. Plus it has a handful of safeguards that will protect you in the long run. It’s protected me a couple of times when I was playing around with my own MAP6 settings 😂

herder

Car(s)
2019 R
I just had a good amount of warranty work done, at dealer, with the JB installed. Love it on my car! A flash tune is an almost undeniable flag. The JB has been a really fun alternative to a flash tune. Plus it has a handful of safeguards that will protect you in the long run. It’s protected me a couple of times when I was playing around with my own MAP6 settings 😂
Any Power Train work?

herder

Car(s)
2019 R
It’s always hearsay with the whole “I heard xxx got flagged” you never actually hear it straight from a person it’s happened to.

Just like earlier posts “I’ve heard from many people their car leaned out on Jb4” cool story with no back up. But now a person will read that comment and repeat it back in a few months on a different post.
I haven't seen anything directly from VW owners but definitely have seen post in BMW forums from owners. Maybe they had other work done

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm running JB4 for about 30k miles on a 1.8 tsi. Installed while powertrain warranty was in effect. Removed for one dealer trip. No issues.

That said, car forum experiences alone don't convince me that VW might see evidence of use or wouldn't be motivated to look on a total engine failure. But forum experiences may suggest the risk is low, so I went ahead. No regrets.

btw, who asks their service advisor if they've been flagged? :)

I know I wouldn't unless it was prior to a used car purchase.

29whitty

get the JB, you wont regret it. i have a used module and called support to get the info moved over to me (wouldn't work with the BT Module) after this george still supported and helped my tune. as well as Diggs.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
Since OP asked about new vs used and I hadn't seen this mentioned...

Pay attention to the clips on the plus to make sure they're complete. They can break if you're not careful when you install them or remove them, and it's worth checking. You'll get sporadic results or CELs/codes if they come loose during use.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
get the JB, you wont regret it. i have a used module and called support to get the info moved over to me (wouldn't work with the BT Module) after this george still supported and helped my tune. as well as Diggs.
How'd you do that? I thought if you buy used George wouldn't provide support? one of the drawbacks of getting a used unit?

Is there anything you guys recommend in looking out for when buying used JB4s?

Last edited: