GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerFlex Hybrid Insert + Aftermarket Pendulum Mount

MusicMan

Okay so I know that you would have to make some adjustments to the hybrid puck itself to get ANY aftermarket pendulum mount to work with this thing (it was designed with the factory pendulum mount in mind)... but I want to use an aftermarket pendulum mount with it. I have the ECS pendulum arm... but it interferes with the black pass-through washer that goes through the hybrid puck. So I was wondering if something like the APR pendulum mount might work with it, with minimal modification? Does anyone have any experience with this or have they made the hybrid puck work with an aftermarket pendulum arm at all?

MusicMan

Just to update this.... I got the hybrid mount installed (paid a place to do it because I couldn't do it myself), and I started getting a horrible rattle. I had previously installed the APR pendulum arm with the stock subframe bushings + 034 insert. After getting the Powerflex Hybrid puck installed, there was an awful horrible rattling when parked or when idle at a stoplight, and occasionally under very light throttle at low speeds. Turns out, it was the APR pendulum arm vibrating harshly against the insert that goes through the puck to secure the arm to the top bushing. Putting a hand up against the arm while it was installed would stop the rattling. Replacing it with the stock pendulum arm fixed the issue.

Regarding the bushing insert itself, it's fantastic. Shifts are clean, sharp, consistent. It feels very tidied up, and it doesn't feel like the engine is being lugged about anymore, especially when downshifting. Additionally, the shifts seem quicker, though I'd just attribute that to less engine movement rather than an improvement in the shifting itself. Added vibrations are minimal, it almost seems stock until you accelerate, even then it's minimally louder than with the stock bushing + 034 insert. Vibrations at idle and parked are increased, but it feels good. With the APR arm the vibrations were a little harsher, a bit too much than I'd like, but I could see some people enjoying it. With the stock arm it's perfect.

After sorting out the rattling noise, this is a much better solution to the 034 insert. If you can do the install yourself, or already have a lower bushing insert that you can easily swap out, I'd swap to this in a heartbeat. It's great. Be warned though, you may need to modify the bushing somewhat to accept non-stock pendulum arms. You can use a metal file to slim down the metal insert, and you can use a razor blade or sharp knife to trim the ledges that are on the PU insert itself, if you want. I think the only thing I'd want to do down the line is add the 034 density line engine & trans mounts, try to make it feel very OEM+.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Good feedback, but I'm curious if there was something wrong with the install....I say this because I have the powerflex hybrid with the APR pendulum arm and it fits and works great. No rattling.

I wouldn't dig too deep into it if I were you, I don't think there's much difference between the APR arm and the OEM arm, but I also wouldn't rule out the APR arm being compatible with the powerflex hybrid for others.

MusicMan

That's fair, it's likely there may be an issue with the APR arm itself. After inspecting it further I did notice that the bearing had a lot of play up and down (could have been what was causing the rattle). I noticed this after I had removed it. As for something wrong with the install, I'm not sure, I'm not the one who did it, but it seems like it's been put in correctly. I could have the shop go back in and mess with it some more, and try a replacement APR arm or some other solution.