GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powerflex Dogbone Insert PLEASE HELP

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Hey everybod, I’d appreciate some feedback/help. I just did my first oil change at 7k miles and while I had the car up on jack stands I figured it’d be a good time to install the dogbone insert I’ve been meaning to get around to.

Install went okay but damn it was a real pain getting the insert in. It seemed like the dogbone arm was shifted back from the front being on stands. I ended up using my trolley jack to actually press it in which worked perfectly. Appeared to seat fully in and evenly. Torqued the new stretch bolt to 96lbs/ft and attempted to get it the extra 90 degrees per spec but not going to lie probably only got it 45 degrees.

Here’s the problem though: THE VIBRATION. Holy sh*t is the vibration at idle bad. I expected some increased nvh but not this. Feels like every single mount is shot at idle and with the ac on its even worse. Whole dash is shaking and feel it everywhere through the seat and pedals. Now, I only took it around the block for a quick spin as I didn’t get done til 11:30pm but the shifts are certainly crisp and the vibration completely disappears above 1000 rpm but I don’t know if I can handle this vibration at every stop light, during every start from a stop, and reversing/creeping around a parking lot.

Is this normal? Did I mess up installing it with the front raised and the back on the ground? Or do I just need to give it a few hundred miles to break in/settle? I love the crisp shifts but damn it’s bad enough for me to be tempted to pull it right out which I’m a bit bummed about as all the reviews said how little it increased the nvh. I feel like I may have messed up the install not doing it level but I only had access to two jack stands.

Any insight/feedback on your experience with the powerflex insert would be much appreciated! Such a bummer to spend an 1.5 hours struggling with a mod just to not enjoy the results so hoping I just need to wait but if this is how it is then I’ll probably end up pulled it out. Thanks for any help!

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Totally normal I had the same exact experience when I did mines. I was put off at first too.

I’m about 2 months in of daily driving with the powerflex and now there’s no added vibrations except with lugging in reverse or mild vibrations with the ac on max.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Totally normal I had the same exact experience when I did mines. I was put off at first too.

I’m about 2 months in of daily driving with the powerflex and now there’s no added vibrations except with lugging in reverse or mild vibrations with the ac on max.
Okay that’s good to hear! I’m just a bit taken aback by the harshness. I didn’t expect it to be this bad.

So you’re two months in and at a stop light at idle there’s no vibrations? My problem is I live in Arizona so a/c is on at least 8-9 months of the year so realllly hoping it dies down.

Is there any “best” way to break the insert in?

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I’m in San Diego, so my ac is on too 😂

It’s going to be really annoying at first with the ac on. My car would increasingly shake and vibrate with the ac on 3 and up.

with ac on now the car only has a really mild thrum, it’s apparent on ac 6 but not uncomfortable. I’d say it took about a week and a half of regular DD to notice the NVH getting more compliant.

it’s going to suck initially, but drive the car how you would normally. If all else fails, I’d suggest going for 034. That’s what I ran before with zero NVH with ac on or off.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
No.. That's Diggs getting excited that others feel his pain also.
LMAO well I can certainly say I’m feeling it. Drove it again today and it’s definitely not as bad at idle once it’s warmed up but with the ac on it’s downright unbearable.

Luckily the weather cooled off this week so I’ll have a chance to maybe break it in but if it doesn’t subside I’m for sure pulling it. The shifts are crispy tho and the car definitely feels a bit more planted on turn in which would be a shame to lose. Fingers crossed it breaks in quickly!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
LMAO well I can certainly say I’m feeling it. Drove it again today and it’s definitely not as bad at idle once it’s warmed up but with the ac on it’s downright unbearable.

Luckily the weather cooled off this week so I’ll have a chance to maybe break it in but if it doesn’t subside I’m for sure pulling it. The shifts are crispy tho and the car definitely feels a bit more planted on turn in which would be a shame to lose. Fingers crossed it breaks in quickly!
Yeah, I installed my powerflex in the winter and it was GREAT. Come summer, I'm like, WTF! I've raised my idle to 900 and just learned to live with it.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I recently got the 034 dogbone and was also shocked by the vibrations at low RPM. With DSG, when in park, neutral or idling with foot on the brake, it's not bad. But as soon as release brake, strong vibs until RPM builds.
Concerned that if vibs go away with time, it only means the rubber mount is degrading and/or dogbone is deforming and effectiveness of dogbone at preventing engine shifting is reduced.
Bern

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
It helps a bit in reverse and from a start. AC vibes never go away.

Assuming you got the insert and not the puck you could try and cut off the 2 “arms” if it doesn’t loosen up to your satisfaction.
Damn if they don’t ever go away I’ll more than likely have to pull it. No way I can live with it in the summer here in AZ haha.

I did get the insert! I’d assume that would negate some of the performance benefits but if it’s a nice middle ground i’m all for trying it. Going to give it a few weeks to break in and see how it goes.

I recently got the 034 dogbone and was also shocked by the vibrations at low RPM. With DSG, when in park, neutral or idling with foot on the brake, it's not bad. But as soon as release brake, strong vibs until RPM builds.
Concerned that if vibs go away with time, it only means the rubber mount is degrading and/or dogbone is deforming and effectiveness of dogbone at preventing engine shifting is reduced.
Bern
6mt here but very similar. Rough vibes at idle and stopped, backing up, and pretty rough when first engage the clutch. Once it’s up to speed though it’s not noticeable at all.

That’s kind of my concern as well but hoping it’s just the polyurethane breaking in. My best reference point would be skateboard bushings when you first put in new ones feels like your trucks are tight as hell and after a few days riding they break in and feel normal. Hoping that’s the case with this.

dcopping

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
Well I live in the UK and we have no weather for AC but after fitting the insert around 6 months ago, it still create a some vibrations on idle and even more so in reverse. I have NO wheel hop anymore but it comes at the price of extra NVH issues on idle and in reverse.
I have not seen any improvements over the past 6 months. So just having to live with it.