GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerDemon’s '15 MK7

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You can do just the connector as long as the wires and contact pins on the ends are ok.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
It worked! Got the new injectors and rail installed. Pretty happy I was able to fix the connector instead of having to replace the whole harness. I used PN 4F0 973 702 for the injector connector housing. That’s the newer version of the stock (2015) connector. I just need to put the manifold back on tomorrow. I’ll post some carbon cleaning pics once I get everything squared away.

73783E48-B915-4A65-A5AC-98290BFB86BD.jpeg

F62BA501-11F3-4C0C-8C9C-3533FA60E032.jpeg

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
On the third day she has risen! Or something like that. Anyway yesterday I finally got everything wrapped it up and it runs and drives! To remind you all this project was to install new DI injectors and clean the intake valves. While I was in there I cleaned my AFE dry filter and checked my plugs. All good there still sitting at 0.024".

In regards to the carbon clean and injector install it was quite the project, definitely the most involving that I have performed on the car to date. That being said it is relatively simple if you have the correct tools and some know how. I think the project went pretty well besides a few hangups. I used HumbleMechanic's Youtube videos on intake removal/installation and his video on injector replacement. BTW this will be a pic heavy post.

I finally got the manifold off after some finagling. Turns out the HPFP hard line was what was holding me up and it was a bitch to get off with the manifold still on. The trick ended up being a shorty 17mm open ended wrench. Patience is also key lol. I was fortunate enough to be able to get the manifold off without removing the oil filter too which was great. Me no likey oil contamination. Mmm dirty valves

IMG_8064.jpg

All set up for the carbon clean. As you can see from the proliferation of walnut media this job became SOOOO much easier once I accepted the fact that there will just be walnut media everywhere. Jokes aside I was having an issue with my air compressor setup making water and clogging my blaster which would result in sudden bursts of more walnuts than the vacuum could pick up. Thats my excuse for how walnuts ended up everywhere. Fortunately I did a good job of vacuuming after the fact and blocking off the motor internals. Once I was done I vacuumed each cylinder out via the spark plug hole and checked them visually for good measure.

IMG_8116.jpg

Pic of the valves. Not great but not nearly as bad as I expected for 86,000 miles. I have seen far worse.

IMG_8111.jpg

Much better. I used a pick to get around to the backs of the valve guides and dug out any extra gunk that was hard to get to. I was pretty happy with how they turned out.

IMG_8122.jpg

The new new. As you can see I went with 06A 906 036 K's. This is a newer revision than the ones I had in my car but not the new(est) revision which are the 06A 906 036 Q’s. I went with the K’s simply because they were cheaper than the newest ones. They wanted $270 a pop for the Q’s o_O

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

Injectors in their holes and fuel rail installed. Following the “HumbleMechanics” advise I put a dab of dielectric grease on the green seals to avoid pinching an injector seal while putting on the rail. Torqued it down to 9nm. I also cleaned the gasket surface on the head with lacquer thinner to get it as clean as possible.

IMG_8147.jpg

I cleaned the manifold with rubbing alcohol before putting on a fresh seal and installing it back on the head. Torqued down to 9nm per bolt.

IMG_8148.jpg

All back together!

IMG_8149.jpg

After the fact I think the car starts and idles much smoother. Low revs driving in general is much smoother I feel as well. I am quite happy with the result. For my people interested in logs here is a log 3-4th gear post injector install and carbon clean. I’m really happy with how the car is performing data wise as well. Hopefully the trend continues. Thanks for reading!

Overall this was quite the experience. I hope to never have to do it again! If anyone has any questions about how I did it or if you need any help feel free to PM me anytime and I will do my best to help out!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Last time I was away for work I got a little crazy with ordering stuff...

IMG_8385 2.jpg

There were a few boring housekeeping items such as a new oil cap to stop the weeping, and new fuel lines to fix the HPFP supply line problem once and for all, but there were some exciting things!

First up we have the Braille G20S. The G20S is the G30 internals squeezed into the G20 case. This battery is not publicly for sale, and it is only available (AFAIK) through Mele Design Firm. I spoke to Mitch@Mele through Instagram and he offered me the option when I was inquiring about a battery mount. It is custom made to order for Mele by Braille to go with their battery mount for the Mk7 GTI.

It looks great and it should shave about 30lbs off the nose of the car. I weighed the battery and mount at 8.3 pounds, but I didn't get a chance to weigh the OEM battery.

IMG_8373 2.jpg

Here is the Mele Design Firm 600 Series battery mount. All hand made in America and “Rally Spec”! I found the fit and finish on the mount to be without flaw, and they also included some really nice stainless hardware. Their customer support is great too!

IMG_8370 2.jpg

I grabbed the battery with the associated Braille 1236L trickle charger, as I occasionally leave it for a few weeks at a time. The car should go about two weeks without needing it though.

IMG_8383 2.jpg

Installation was super easy, and I just followed the instruction video on Mele’s website. I used the main battery mount hole (T30 Torx) and the battery bracket mount hole closest to the firewall. Everything bolted up without any drilling.

IMG_8386 2.jpg

Unfortunately during install I noticed a problem with the ground wire. Apparently it appeared to be missing some insulation and I have no idea how that happened. It doesn’t look like it chafed on anything and I don't know how any battery acid could have gotten on it at that point. Honestly I chalked it up to a defective part/damaged when installed. I couldn’t think of a better explanation. I wanted to replace the wire itself (PN 5Q0971235D) but my local VW dealer wanted $137!! #hardpass

IMG_8395 2.jpg

I ended up sealing it using some tightly wrapped electrical tape. Unfortunately it was the best I could do since I couldn’t get any shrink wrap over either end.

IMG_8400 2.jpg

All cozy in there

IMG_8405 2.jpg

It starts just fine, although it does start easier in the cold (sub 40*F) when I leave the lights and stereo on for ~30 seconds to warm the battery a bit. I am super pleased so far.

I also picked up an aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 cold air intake. I have never been on the intake hype train, but I figured I would finish out my “FBO” status. I also ordered an exhaust, but we will get to that later. I ended up with the aFe because I am a fan of their filter technology, and I especially liked this intake because it is partially closed and partially open. I liked that I could put the cover on it and it would effectively become a closed intake again.

The install was a bit of a PITA because I had to get that silicone coupler juussttt right to get everything to fit how I wanted. I also ordered some of those sexy HPS stainless T bolt clamps because I hate worm gear clamps. The used kit I got also came with the blue oil filters, but I switched them up in favor of the Pro Dry S filters because I prefer the dry media. Other than that it’s a nice kit.

IMG_8419.jpg

At the suggestion of @Escape Hatch I took off the aFe power logo, and I have to say it looks mucchhh better. It just pops off with your fingers. Thanks again!

IMG_8421.jpg

That's about it for now. I am going to Mac’s custom exhaust tomorrow to get a 3” Borla Pro XS muffler welded in. I am also on the books with EQT to get retuned once the exhaust goes in. I don’t think there is much more to get out of it, especially on this winter mix, but it will be good to have someone to look at the logs again. Between the fresh injectors and exhaust I am tentatively hoping for another ~10whp. Who knows.

I also put the winter setup back on yesterday. I was going to post a photo, but I’m maxed out and y’all have seen them before anyway :ROFLMAO:

I will report back once the exhaust is in. Thanks for reading!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
My battery is over 5.5 years old at this point with no signs of failure. Then again I likely jinxed myself with this comment.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Last time I was away for work I got a little crazy with ordering stuff...

View attachment 230596

There were a few boring housekeeping items such as a new oil cap to stop the weeping, and new fuel lines to fix the HPFP supply line problem once and for all, but there were some exciting things!

First up we have the Braille G20S. The G20S is the G30 internals squeezed into the G20 case. This battery is not publicly for sale, and it is only available (AFAIK) through Mele Design Firm. I spoke to Mitch@Mele through Instagram and he offered me the option when I was inquiring about a battery mount. It is custom made to order for Mele by Braille to go with their battery mount for the Mk7 GTI.

It looks great and it should shave about 30lbs off the nose of the car. I weighed the battery and mount at 8.3 pounds, but I didn't get a chance to weigh the OEM battery.

View attachment 230597

Here is the Mele Design Firm 600 Series battery mount. All hand made in America and “Rally Spec”! I found the fit and finish on the mount to be without flaw, and they also included some really nice stainless hardware. Their customer support is great too!

View attachment 230599

I grabbed the battery with the associated Braille 1236L trickle charger, as I occasionally leave it for a few weeks at a time. The car should go about two weeks without needing it though.

View attachment 230609

Installation was super easy, and I just followed the instruction video on Mele’s website. I used the main battery mount hole (T30 Torx) and the battery bracket mount hole closest to the firewall. Everything bolted up without any drilling.

View attachment 230601

Unfortunately during install I noticed a problem with the ground wire. Apparently it appeared to be missing some insulation and I have no idea how that happened. It doesn’t look like it chafed on anything and I don't know how any battery acid could have gotten on it at that point. Honestly I chalked it up to a defective part/damaged when installed. I couldn’t think of a better explanation. I wanted to replace the wire itself (PN 5Q0971235D) but my local VW dealer wanted $137!! #hardpass

View attachment 230602

I ended up sealing it using some tightly wrapped electrical tape. Unfortunately it was the best I could do since I couldn’t get any shrink wrap over either end.

View attachment 230606

All cozy in there

View attachment 230608

It starts just fine, although it does start easier in the cold (sub 40*F) when I leave the lights and stereo on for ~30 seconds to warm the battery a bit. I am super pleased so far.

I also picked up an aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 cold air intake. I have never been on the intake hype train, but I figured I would finish out my “FBO” status. I also ordered an exhaust, but we will get to that later. I ended up with the aFe because I am a fan of their filter technology, and I especially liked this intake because it is partially closed and partially open. I liked that I could put the cover on it and it would effectively become a closed intake again.

The install was a bit of a PITA because I had to get that silicone coupler juussttt right to get everything to fit how I wanted. I also ordered some of those sexy HPS stainless T bolt clamps because I hate worm gear clamps. The used kit I got also came with the blue oil filters, but I switched them up in favor of the Pro Dry S filters because I prefer the dry media. Other than that it’s a nice kit.

View attachment 230610

At the suggestion of @Escape Hatch I took off the aFe power logo, and I have to say it looks mucchhh better. It just pops off with your fingers. Thanks again!

View attachment 230611

That's about it for now. I am going to Mac’s custom exhaust tomorrow to get a 3” Borla Pro XS muffler welded in. I am also on the books with EQT to get retuned once the exhaust goes in. I don’t think there is much more to get out of it, especially on this winter mix, but it will be good to have someone to look at the logs again. Between the fresh injectors and exhaust I am tentatively hoping for another ~10whp. Who knows.

I also put the winter setup back on yesterday. I was going to post a photo, but I’m maxed out and y’all have seen them before anyway :ROFLMAO:

I will report back once the exhaust is in. Thanks for reading!
So how much did that battery and mount cost you? I'm sure it was a pretty penny since it's custom made.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
My battery is over 5.5 years old at this point with no signs of failure. Then again I likely jinxed myself with this comment.

Mine was cranking the car just fine, but the positive terminal had started to leak battery acid everywhere.

I need a new battery... I don't need that one or the mount... But dammit!

Do it

So how much did that battery and mount cost you? I'm sure it was a pretty penny since it's custom made.

Believe it or not the G20S is the same price as the G30, and the mount is $155 for the texture black option.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
How long do those batteries last before needing to be replaced?

Not exactly sure, but they advertise that it lasts “3-5 times longer”. Take that as you will, but lithium batteries do survive substantially more recharge cycles compared to lead acid.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hit 90k earlier this month and the car is still running well (knock on wood). Last week I did an oil change and swapped the plugs. 5k miles ago I switched to the Brisk ER10S plugs from the NGK Racing plugs that I ran for 15k. I had no problems with them, but I couldn’t find the NGKs anywhere and for the same amount of money I could swap the Brisks out every oil change lol.

I gapped these plugs to .025" when I put them in and again when I did the carbon clean 2.5k miles later. They were still at .025” when I pulled them this time. I was considering not changing them out because they looked so good, but the #2 plug looked a little dark. For some reason the electrode seems darker than the others. See pics...

IMG_9743.jpg

IMG_9744.jpg

I shined a light into the cylinder and it looked like there was some liquid on the piston face. Not sure if it’s oil or fuel but it doesn’t look like enough fouling on the plug to be oil and I just replaced all the injectors so 🤷‍♂️. The car’s oil burn is also unchanged at 0.5qt/5,000mi. Before you say get a boroscope I refuse because the information to sleep loss ratio is not worth it to me lol. If it starts pulling timing on that cylinder then maybe, but not yet. Because I was so worried about it, I went out and took a bunch of logs. Check out the logs here. I think they look pretty good so maybe it's a fluke? I think it’s pretty strange that the logs look as normal as they do given how that plug looks relative to the others.

The rest of the service went fine. No visible filings in the oil or filter. I sent my sample to Blackstone so we will see what they say. Peep my ghetto oil fill procedure 👀 $23.95 snap in funnel be damned!

IMG_9735.jpg

I also got a chance to meet up with a friend who just got his 2022 Hyundai Veloster N. To preface this I am the first person to take the side of VW/Audi and I have been known to shame Hyundai often. However they have really created an awesome machine with this car. It is simply sublime. It corners so flat and confidently it is ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong, my car still drops him on the straights but it makes mine feel like a BOAT in the corners with so much dive and roll in comparison. Overall I really like it. I would never own one because the VW is more spacious, comfortable, and efficient but the Hyundai is hands down the better sports hatch. It also sounds WAYYYY better than my car.

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg

And here is another unsolicited GTI pic just cause. Also I sold my summer wheels/tires so this is it.

IMG_9714.jpg