GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerDemon’s '15 MK7

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you're talking about Hawk pads in general, yes they make a variety of street and track pads that fit the OEM PP brakes on the GTI. If you are asking about the 9012 compound that I used they do not make that compound in a size that fits the PP brakes on the GTI as far as I can tell.

I finally got the rotors ground down again and I picked up a new set of pads because I was not pleased with the bed in results from the used Stoptech Street Performance pads that were on there before. I got a set of Hawk Performance HPS pads which like the Stoptech pad is supposed to be a performance street pad. After the initial bed in I like them so far. I like them better than the Stoptech pads actually, they have better bite and the pedal feel is improved as well. I also think the brake modulation is easier/more controllable with these pads. I'm not sure if they stop any faster, because I haven't really gotten a chance to test them out too much more but so far I am pleased with them.

For anyone looking for more details on the process of removing my uneven pad deposits/hotspots and what I did view my thread here.

Thanks. Yeah I was interested in the Hawk pads that clean up the uneven pad deposits and hotspots. Darn.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Thanks. Yeah I was interested in the Hawk pads that clean up the uneven pad deposits and hotspots. Darn.

You don’t need to use the 9012. Stoptech just found those pads in particular to be the most effective. You can also use an alternative pad as long as it is an aggressive compound. I used this article on how to remove uneven pad deposits.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I haven't yet 😬 After we decided to push the boost up a bit more with the addition of a Bosch 4BAR PUT sensor I figured it would be better to hold off until we get the tune finalized.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I'm looking forward to that. We have similar builds.

We do. Hopefully I can make 417whp on the dyno 😂

I took the car out for a drive today and did some more hard braking to ensure the pads are bedding in well. Everything looks good now with maybe 100 miles on the new pads. No more vibrations at any speed (knock on wood). Braking feel is good, although it is hard to come back to a street pad after those 9012 race pads. MAN did they have some stopping power.

I’m ordering the Bosch 4BAR sensor today so hopefully I can get it put on next week.

9E4F9224-5A54-40D1-B678-8762DDDFF51E.jpeg

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I love the ST40 brakes!! Do they fit the Austin/Pretoria without a spacer?

Thank you! I am very pleased with them thus far. Unfortunately they do not fit without spacers. For the Pretorias they require a 10mm spacer, and I haven't fit the Austins yet but I believe they will also require additional offset to clear the calipers. From what I've read they should only require a 5mm spacer, but I will most likely run the same 10mm spacers I run with the Prets.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We do. Hopefully I can make 417whp on the dyno 😂

I took the car out for a drive today and did some more hard braking to ensure the pads are bedding in well. Everything looks good now with maybe 100 miles on the new pads. No more vibrations at any speed (knock on wood). Braking feel is good, although it is hard to come back to a street pad after those 9012 race pads. MAN did they have some stopping power.

I’m ordering the Bosch 4BAR sensor today so hopefully I can get it put on next week.

View attachment 174135

So 417HP. I'm going to tell Ed to do whatever he has to do to get me 418HP even if he has to turn the boost up to 50. :eek:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I hope y’all had a great Memorial day weekend. I sure did. I got my car washed again in-between rain showers so that was exciting. I am also having fun with my new foam cannon. It makes light duty washes a lot quicker that’s for sure. And yes I am ordering a new rear wiper :rolleyes:

IMG_3643.jpg

I had been noticing a creaking noise when opening the driver door for the past few days but didn’t pay much attention to it. When I backed the car in to wash it I heard it again and I looked more closely at what could be causing it. Apparently the thing that holds the door from opening too far got loose from the body and was moving slightly when opening the driver side door all the way. Which was causing the noise. If you are wondering it is a M10 triple square. I tightened it up, checked all the others and we are all good. Exciting stuff I know.

IMG_3640.jpg

Hopefully my new PUT sensor will show soon as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hope y’all had a great Memorial day weekend. I sure did. I got my car washed again in-between rain showers so that was exciting. I am also having fun with my new foam cannon. It makes light duty washes a lot quicker that’s for sure. And yes I am ordering a new rear wiper :rolleyes:

View attachment 174628

I had been noticing a creaking noise when opening the driver door for the past few days but didn’t pay much attention to it. When I backed the car in to wash it I heard it again and I looked more closely at what could be causing it. Apparently the thing that holds the door from opening too far got loose from the body and was moving slightly when opening the driver side door all the way. Which was causing the noise. If you are wondering it is a M10 triple square. I tightened it up, checked all the others and we are all good. Exciting stuff I know.

View attachment 174629

Hopefully my new PUT sensor will show soon as well.

That foam cannon works great.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Nice progress, PowerDemon! Stoptechs look good. I like how you went with a subtle color too, not a typical bright red or that crazy green color new STI's come in (yuck on the green).

Also good to know about the creaking if I ever encounter it on my Golf-R down the road.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nice progress, PowerDemon! Stoptechs look good. I like how you went with a subtle color too, not a typical bright red or that crazy green color new STI's come in (yuck on the green).

Also good to know about the creaking if I ever encounter it on my Golf-R down the road.

Then don't look at Hoon's thread and the green block he's building.