GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerDemon’s '15 MK7

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
No sir 9.6 was my best. I think that's about the best you can get out of a pump gas hybrid car without some weight reduction and or a tuner willing to run it on the ragged edge. (Relative) reliability was always my focus when modding this car. It didn’t need to be the fastest.

Thank you! I think the Camaro platform doesn’t get as much attention as it deserves. You get a lot for your money I think.

Yeah me too. I haven’t put enough miles on it yet. I did the break in engine oil and diff fluid change at 500 miles, but they say to wait until 1500 for “competitive driving” lol. I assume it has something to do with the heat cycles on everything but who knows. I’ve certainly wrung it out once or twice, but I don’t want to do back to back pulls trying to run a number before 1500. I’ve only got like 875 on it so halfway there. You’ll be the first to know when I run it ;)
Mid-9s is pretty fast so no shame in stopping there, especially on pump gas! you've really wiped the floor with all the stock n/a V8s and even modded ones will have their work cut out for them at that point.

The Camaro is definitely a good value, to get the same performance from a German car from factory you're spending much more. If you start a build thread for the ZL1 be sure to link it! and get busy with racking up the miles haha, 875? I did that within a week of the GTI being registered haha 😅

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Mid-9s is pretty fast so no shame in stopping there, especially on pump gas! you've really wiped the floor with all the stock n/a V8s and even modded ones will have their work cut out for them at that point.

The Camaro is definitely a good value, to get the same performance from a German car from factory you're spending much more. If you start a build thread for the ZL1 be sure to link it! and get busy with racking up the miles haha, 875? I did that within a week of the GTI being registered haha 😅

I actually just updated my thread over on Camaro6. That forum SUCKKKKKSSSSSS. I just spent the better part of my morning trying to post photos rightside up 🤦‍♂️ Here is the Camaro’s Build Thread.

Anyhoo back to the VW. It seems to still be dripping oil slowly from the TIP. Not sure what is causing that because I can’t imagine that both PCV’s are failed. My mind now goes to the MST TIP I have in the car now. It always had a shoddy looking o-ring IMO but it never leaked before. So there is either more oil than there used to be in the intake tract or the o-ring is no longer sealing against the turbo. I’m thinking about just going back to the stock TIP/intake to see if that makes any difference. Thoughts?

Also I changed the oil a few hundred miles ago and did my normal oil analysis with Blackstone. (The report is attached below) I think we are starting to see signs of the rings wearing out. Viscosity is getting worse and worse with each report. That to me indicates more and more fuel is sneaking by the rings and lowering the viscosity. Also iron wear is slowly creeping up. I dont think it’s a problem yet, but just interesting. Also my "average" oil temps (not scientific just from looking at the dash) are higher than they used to be when I first got the car around 37k miles. It would be around 205*-210* even on a hot summer day. Now in the summer it gets up to 234* easily. I’ve never seen it above 236ish though. Just thinking outloud.

Got the GTI all cleaned up and dialed in. I starting using a new ceramic spray sealant called “OG Drying Aid” AKA Xtreme Solutions Topper. Great stuff. Super glossy and slick. Makes the old girl look pretty good for 95k miles.

IMG_2696.jpg

Got the Camaro almost completely dialed in. Did 20% tint on the windows and added blacked out side markers. Really improves the look I think. Man if only we could tint the windshield here! Just need some warm weather and we’ll be ready to rock!

IMG_3213.jpg

Mmmmm so easy to post photos.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 15 GTI-221224.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 32

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Would ditching the OEM PCV for a catch can setup that replaces that system be a viable alternative as well rather than trying to find a good used unit? (If that sounded sarcastic it wasn't meant to lol)

Both cars are looking fresh! The Camaro looks like it's begging to see a racetrack haha

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Let me know when you’re ready for lightweight wheels for the Gti… they are bare and ready to go!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
100% need to go get a used PCV from 2015. I think it's AH revision? I need to go look at mine to confirm. Any of the new ones won't work I've already blown 2 of them up on my 2015.

Thanks I’ll take a look for one of those.

Would ditching the OEM PCV for a catch can setup that replaces that system be a viable alternative as well rather than trying to find a good used unit? (If that sounded sarcastic it wasn't meant to lol)

Both cars are looking fresh! The Camaro looks like it's begging to see a racetrack haha

I’m not sure. I read so many mixed reviews about CC’s I’m not sure which way to go. I’m not opposed to one. I like the look of the new APR one

Thanks! I hope to get the Camaro up to my local track soon once it warms up a bit more.

Let me know when you’re ready for lightweight wheels for the Gti… they are bare and ready to go!

Whatcha got? Shoot me a PM

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Not too much happening with the GTI right now. It is still running strong. I was thinking I would like to paint correct it though and repair some of the road rash it has accrued over the last ~96000 miles. Anyone have a pad polish combo to recommend? I figure it has a harder clear coat than most so it’ll need at least two steps if not three to get the deeper defects out. To my knowledge it has never been polished. I definitely want to get it coated though, because it makes washing and drying SOOOO much easier!

On the Camaro front I can say it is finally dialed in! I polished the non-PPFed surfaces with Sonax Perfect Finish and a Yellow Rupes pad. I got some deeper defects out with Megs Microfiber Cutting pads and Jescar Correction Compound. For coating I went with Gyeon Pure Evo ceramic coating on the paint and ppf. I did Gyeon Cancoat Evo on the plastic, glass, exhaust tips, calipers, and wheels. I think the end result turned out really well.

I got the car lowered at LMD (Late Model Domestics) in Virginia Beach. Before you say it looks the same it is a very minimal drop and I knew that going in. They advertise only about 0.5-0.75” drop on this car. I just wanted to close up the front wheel gap a bit, but I also didn't want to drop it too much because I wanted to keep my magnetic ride. I think these springs did a good job accomplishing that goal. To me the front is PERFECT but I wish the rear dropped just a little more. Oh well. Still an improvement. They also installed a rear cradle lockout (essentially dogbone inserts) and stronger rear cradle braces. After that I got the car aligned to GM’s “Track Alignment” which is -2.0* camber up front and -1.5* out back and I think just a tiny bit of toe. Car handles like a dream. It is really unbelievable that something so huge and heavy can handle so well.

Overall I am extremely happy with the car and it finally feels like MY car. I didnt quite get a chance to do the final break in oil change @1500 miles before I left for work, but I’ll be doing that as soon as I get back. This thing takes 10 quarts of oil o_O Hopefully I’ll also find some time/space to run a 60-130 and see what it does.

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4299 2.jpg

I think if the rear were maybe .25-.5” lower it would be 100% perfect... Oh well I guess that will come when I put coils on it :LOL:

IMG_4295 3.jpg

Thanks for reading!

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
......Anyone have a pad polish combo to recommend? I figure it has a harder clear coat than most so it’ll need at least two steps if not three to get the deeper defects out. To my knowledge it has never been polished. I definitely want to get it coated though, because it makes washing and drying SOOOO much easier!

On the Camaro front I can say it is finally dialed in! I polished the non-PPFed surfaces with Sonax Perfect Finish and a Yellow Rupes pad. I got some deeper defects out with Megs Microfiber Cutting pads and Jescar Correction Compound. For coating I went with Gyeon Pure Evo ceramic coating on the paint and ppf. I did Gyeon Cancoat Evo on the plastic, glass, exhaust tips, calipers, and wheels. I think the end result turned out really well.

looks sweet! Any plans to track it? Just amazing times those things turn stock out of the box. I made a similar-ish move...went back to BMW with a 6spd Manual M2 Competition(F87 not the hideous new lego car G87 M2). I've been wanting one for a very long time but wasn't willing to pay the comically insane Covid pricing. Still paid way more than I would have liked but is what it is. Unlike you, I wasn't able to keep my R and get the M2 Comp, which to me would have been the perfect combo for my use case. Just not enough garage space and my wife would have killed me anyway.

I would think for the GTI that your selection of pad and product you used on the Camaro would be great as well.
On my old R I used the same Meguiar's MF cutting pad but with Rupes DA Course Cutting Compound (the Jescar products are awesome to though) followed by exactly what you used for polishing with the Yellow Rupes pad and Sonax Perfect Finish. Started the process with Carpro Iron-x for decon, then clay.