GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerDemon’s '15 MK7

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
My drill also has a torque setting so I put it on the lowest setting to make sure if it did bite the drill would slip rather than destroy the basket.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hate to break it to you but probably need an lpfp soon too.

Hmm this aged well...

Anyways time for an update. For those of you following my build you know I have been waiting for my Pagparts 450 LPFP and upgraded 8mm fuel line for a little while now (thanks COVID). Well I got it finally last Saturday. I must say Pagparts makes some nice items. It's a shame it will never see the light of day. I swear all the prettiest parts I have on my car are hidden :(. I don't know of many folks with this fueling solution and those that do have it haven’t posted many photos of it. I love well made parts and showing them off so I took a few photos.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

So that’s the fun stuff out of the way and now the actual install. This was a total shit show. Unfortunately as I mentioned before there aren’t many people with these pumps, at least not many people talk about it compared to the PR solution that is vastly more popular. So I was kinda in the dark with this install using a combination of Diggs' LPFP DIY thread, PR’s instructions, and a few phone calls with Arnold at Pagparts. Overall I disliked this install the most out of all the others I’ve done. However keep in mind all the problems I had were caused by my incompetence. Most notably I broke the basket when drilling it out and had to overnight a new one from Arnold. Thankfully he is awesome and hooked me up with a new basket and top all predrilled! So huge props to him. Other than that it took a lot of finagling and swearing but I eventually got it done. Here are a few photos from the install.

This was when I initially pulled out the backseat and you could imagine my surprise when I saw how dirty the top of the pump was. I noticed some dust and stuff on other vehicles but this was much more than I expected

IMG_4261.jpg

For carnage photos of me breaking my basket see post #158 on the previous page. After I got everything pulled out I started swapping stuff over to the new pump system while I waited for my new basket to arrive.

IMG_4294.jpg

Here she is all assembled and ready to go into the basket. All I need now is the basket... Lol

IMG_4295.jpg

And finally the long awaited basket... 6 hours late. (Thanks FedEx)

IMG_4293.jpg

All assembled and ready to drop in. Once I got the basket everything was drop in. The Pagparts kit fits great into the basket and makes for a tight nicely packaged setup. Big shout out to Arnold and Pagparts for bailing me out and making a great product.

IMG_4302.jpg

This is all I have to say about the fuel line install... 🤬

IMG_4292.jpg

Once everything was in the car I wish I could say I started it up, cleared the codes, and drove off in a tire smoke cloud into the sunset. But no. I did a 2-4th gear pull and I got the dreaded CEL. This really sucked too because this was my first CEL. I had been lucky enough not to ever get one up until this point. Damn. First time for everything I guess. So I read the codes and it was a bunch of fuel pump codes. Surprise surprise!! I immediately sent the logs over to Nick at EQT.

Nick sent me a revision and said there might be something wrong with my install like a wire off. Great. I ran the revision did a 3rd gear pull, and a 3-4 gear pull and no codes. Smiles all the way around until I threw another one on the way to work this morning. I alerted Nick and he sent me another revision to try. He told me it was a soft code and it's nothing to worry about so that’s great. He hasn’t said anything else about a potential install issue so I’m running with that lol. I’m gonna try the revision tomorrow and hopefully all goes well. Now you're all caught up!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Since I hit my photo limit on the previous post here are the codes I got last night. Diggs brought up a good point about this as well. I did not go in and clear all active codes before I made my test run so he theorized that they may have been from the install itself. I think that checks out because I didn’t get a few of those codes again.

IMG_4304 2.jpg

Here is the “soft code” from this morning.

IMG_4323.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your build is great and well documented. You have a knack for writing. The wish you could say that you "drove off in a tire smoke cloud into the sunset" is a classic line. You have hidden talent as an author.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Your build is great and well documented. You have a knack for writing. The wish you could say that you "drove off in a tire smoke cloud into the sunset" is a classic line. You have hidden talent as an author.

Thanks man. I appreciate that you guys take the time to read it. I can’t wait for you to get started on yours ;)

Also, does your car live outside? That’s a lot of debris and why is the lock ring all rusted? Other than a bit of dust mine was nothing like that.

Yes she does spend her life outside. I have no idea why there was so much rust and debris and as I mentioned I was quite surprised. I bought the car in Pennsylvania which is where I assumed the car got the exposure to cause the rust. But that doesn’t make sense either because the rest of the underside of the car is spotless otherwise. I don't know why just the ring around the LPFP would be rusted like that. Curious indeed.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hopefully we have this “soft” code kicked. I thought it was fixed last night with that revision but I got it on the way to work again. I emailed Nick and got another revision that I just tested it out. Did a 3rd gear pull and a 2-4th gear pull with no code 😁 so I’m hoping its whipped. But I'm not confident enough to put my back seat in just yet lol.

The car is pulling harder than ever. This is the first time I've gotten to rip it from second on 30psi and I must say it's pretty exciting. I was so excited to go out and test the car I forgot my Dragy. I was kicking myself the entire ride. Next time for sure though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hopefully we have this “soft” code kicked. I thought it was fixed last night with that revision but I got it on the way to work again. I emailed Nick and got another revision that I just tested it out. Did a 3rd gear pull and a 2-4th gear pull with no code 😁 so I’m hoping its whipped. But I'm not confident enough to put my back seat in just yet lol.

The car is pulling harder than ever. This is the first time I've gotten to rip it from second on 30psi and I must say it's pretty exciting. I was so excited to go out and test the car I forgot my Dragy. I was kicking myself the entire ride. Next time for sure though.

Any road trips to AZ in the plans? I would love a ride in your rocket.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Any road trips to AZ in the plans? I would love a ride in your rocket.

Maybe one day. But I think it's hot enough over here already lol.

I finally got my wheels back from powder coat today. When I dropped them off I described roughly the color I wanted but I didn't specify. He did such a good job with the Pretorias I figured he knew best and I wasn’t that picky. He told me he chose “Porsche silver” and I couldn’t be more pleased! This color is apparently 6 coats of silver and one coat of black. I am almost excited for fall/winter now lol. I might make the trip down to Richmond sometime this week and pick up some genuine Audi center caps from my local dealer. Or maybe I'll just order a set of 4 knock offs on eBay for half the price I could get a genuine one for. Decisions decisions...

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

In other news the mystery code has finally been resolved with the latest tune revision which I am very pleased about. The car feels great so far and hopefully with a few more revisions she will finally be buttoned up tuning wise. I finally feel confident enough in the LPFP install that I put the backseat back in. It is nice and quiet once again. That's all I got.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe one day. But I think it's hot enough over here already lol.

I finally got my wheels back from powder coat today. When I dropped them off I described roughly the color I wanted but I didn't specify. He did such a good job with the Pretorias I figured he knew best and I wasn’t that picky. He told me he chose “Porsche silver” and I couldn’t be more pleased! This color is apparently 6 coats of silver and one coat of black. I am almost excited for fall/winter now lol. I might make the trip down to Richmond sometime this week and pick up some genuine Audi center caps from my local dealer. Or maybe I'll just order a set of 4 knock offs on eBay for half the price I could get a genuine one for. Decisions decisions...

View attachment 182462

View attachment 182463

View attachment 182465

In other news the mystery code has finally been resolved with the latest tune revision which I am very pleased about. The car feels great so far and hopefully with a few more revisions she will finally be buttoned up tuning wise. I finally feel confident enough in the LPFP install that I put the backseat back in. It is nice and quiet once again. That's all I got.

Glad that code was fixed. It's just an illusion but it looks like your wheel protrudes way out from the fender.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Glad that code was fixed. It's just an illusion but it looks like your wheel protrudes way out from the fender.

You and me both. And lol they’re not mounted yet..? I can’t tell if you’re serious or not 😂

Need moar dragy times.

I know I know. I’m a bit anxious doing 60-130 runs before I get the A-ok from the tuner, but soon. I’m curious to see what it’ll do now that it’s turned up some more.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
The other day I was doing a high speed highway pull and when doing some hard braking I found that the rear end was a little wobbly for my liking and I’ve wanted to get some slotted Stoptech rotors to match the front ones. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to upgrade the rear brakes. I didn’t want anything crazy just a new slotted rotor and a more aggressive street pad to hopefully add some more torque to the rear axle when braking and stabilize the rear of the car.

I decided to pick up a set of Stoptech slotted 272x10mm rotors to match the fronts along with a set of Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 pads. I've been pleased with the HPS pads up front and apparently the 5.0 is slightly more aggressive than that which is exactly what I wanted.

IMG_4628.jpg

Install went very smoothly with the correct tools. Here it is after removal of the caliper which was easy with a 13mm and a set of vice grips to hold the nut.

IMG_5060.jpg

After I got the caliper carrier off using a M14 triple square I knocked off the old rotor, brushed off the hub with a wire brush to clear off any of the big rust bits, and sprayed it down with brake cleaner. After that I grabbed the new Stoptech slotted rotor, sprayed the back with brake cleaner and put it on. Looking better already!

IMG_8143.jpg

I started installing everything in reverse order. I torqued the caliper carrier bolts (M14 triple square) down to 90nm or 66ft-lb I think. It didn’t seem like enough to me but that’s what the manual said. I slid the pads in and that was that.

IMG_3126.jpg

I wanted to torque the bolts that hold the caliper to the carrier but I couldn’t find a way to get the torque wrench in there so I just snugged them as much as I felt comfortable. Here it is all back together and ready to go.

IMG_1025.jpg

After the quick Hawk recommended bed in I drove some back roads with my buddy in his STI and I am very pleased with the results. I think that the braking is more even and the car stops faster than ever. I haven't gotten any of that shimmy on hard braking I was getting before with the OEM rear brake setup, so overall I am very pleased with the results. They seem to be breaking in well and the braking is getting better and better. When I was with my buddy we took a few pics, and these are my two favorites. He also got to ride in my car for the first time and was shocked at how good the brakes were. He was also quite surprised at how quick it was lol.

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Also poll time. Should I paint my rear calipers silver to match the front or leave them red??? Dragy times and dyno should be coming soon. We are testing out some different brands of fuel and finalizing the tune. Stay TUNED to see the results 😂