GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Stop Z23/Z26 brake pads

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It was a joke - and based on the location you have in your profile. Relax chief.

When I swapped the Z26's on, I also did new rotors and fluid. So no it wasn't that. Bedded in fully as per Powerstop directions as well. Once I spoke with some local people who did the same brake swap (instead of just listening to the forum people) - they had similar experiences as well. It was a bad enough experience to go back to stock pads (which are VERY good in terms of brake feel, fade, etc. but terrible on dust) for others as well. I can agree with the HP+ in terms of performance and dust. Great performance, not great on dust. I do take care of washing the car/wheels pretty quickly so it was never an issue for me in terms of affecting paint/finish.

Well, certainly application could be the difference and not fluid. I'm not familiar with newer Mustangs, but I know older models were prone to brake fade due to weight and smallish brakes. On the mk7, I've put the z26 through the toughest of beatings, short of tracking them, and had no fade. I also have removed dust shields, have modified GT3 air deflectors and 345mm rotors vs 340mm, so imsure that makes a difference. Again, I'm not a cheerleader for the z26 pads, I totally agree with the feel comments. I've had to turn brake assist in OBD11 from default of 4 to 2 in order to get the brake feel I want. They're main benefits is that they are $80 for fronts for my 4 pot Brembos, easy on rotors, and low dust. Since I go through a set up pads autocrossing and 30k of driving every year and a set of track pads twice a year, it keeps my yearly pad cost to $300 a rear, with rears lasting 2 years.

I'd love to hear if anyone has used them with the PP brakes and had fade.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Well, certainly application could be the difference and not fluid. I'm not familiar with newer Mustangs, but I know older models were prone to brake fade due to weight and smallish brakes. On the mk7, I've put the z26 through the toughest of beatings, short of tracking them, and had no fade. I also have removed dust shields, have modified GT3 air deflectors and 345mm rotors vs 340mm, so imsure that makes a difference. Again, I'm not a cheerleader for the z26 pads, I totally agree with the feel comments. I've had to turn brake assist in OBD11 from default of 4 to 2 in order to get the brake feel I want. They're main benefits is that they are $80 for fronts for my 4 pot Brembos, easy on rotors, and low dust. Since I go through a set up pads autocrossing and 30k of driving every year and a set of track pads twice a year, it keeps my yearly pad cost to $300 a rear, with rears lasting 2 years.

I'd love to hear if anyone has used them with the PP brakes and had fade.

That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either. Having modified the airflow characteristics for the braking system and going to bigger rotors can make a big difference. Also, not everyone is either willing or has access to OBD11 or VCDS to make the changes you are describing. So OP's experience compared to yours could be very different.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I posted this to get personal experiences with the Powerstop brake pads Z23 and Z26 (both are the same compound). I have more than the avg experience with brakes. I'm currently running TRW 1633 front pads and my rears are going, so looking for something to replace the stock pads with. If I take the to a circuit I would swap all brakes, If I take it to an autocross, I wouldn't switch out the brakes.

I'm just looking for something that:
1. Is better than the grabby stockers
2. Won't break the bank.
3. Lower dust than stock.

Thanks

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered the Akebono Euro rear pads, figured I'd give them a try, I have heard good things about them from various members. Wish Akebono would make front pads for the Golf R too.