GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Steering ECU remap experiences

Mk R

Looking for any experiences people have had with remapping the EPS / loading the settings from other MQB vehicles to give a different steering feel.

Interested to hear what worked best for people or what the most engaging option is.

I have 5Q0909144T as a rack so I understand RS3 is one of the potential options and will try that but keen to learn more in case there are better options.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting thought. I've been thinking about the mk8 ABS module for the mk7. Mk 8 has better brake feel.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You guys are talking about two different modules... but power steering module parameter changes are an interesting thought. If I can find the link somewhere, I believe modification of the power steering firmware can be done to make lane assist remain stay engaged indefinitely. Something to do with increasing the "timer" for turning torque applied to the steering wheel. Mk8 steering wheel has touch sensors and only requires hands be on the wheel (but not turning) to stay engaged, although even that can be "defeated" for indefinite hands free operation... if you trust it.

I've often considered replacing my Golf steering rack with one from an R for the shorter lock-to-lock. I should have done it when replacing the subframe. It's hard to justify re-accomplishing all that labor now though.

Mk R

You guys are talking about two different modules... but power steering module parameter changes are an interesting thought. If I can find the link somewhere, I believe modification of the power steering firmware can be done to make lane assist remain stay engaged indefinitely. Something to do with increasing the "timer" for turning torque applied to the steering wheel. Mk8 steering wheel has touch sensors and only requires hands be on the wheel (but not turning) to stay engaged, although even that can be "defeated" for indefinite hands free operation... if you trust it.

I've often considered replacing my Golf steering rack with one from an R for the shorter lock-to-lock. I should have done it when replacing the subframe. It's hard to justify re-accomplishing all that labor now though.
I've been doing all my coding mods and adaptations through a local friend here who is a bit of an VCDS/VCP/ODIS wizard. He's previously uploaded electronic steering rack parameters on the PQ platform and gave me the idea.

He also changed the lane assist from 15 seconds to 60 seconds for me, which is great when you have the cruise control on in slow highway traffic. Gives you enough time to take a jacket off or grab something from the kids in the back seat.

I'm really keen for some more steering feel, even if it's just firmer and slightly more direct. This week I'm upgrading the front sway bar and front lower control arm rear bushings for more caster, which should help a bit too but if i can complement that with some of the more performance focused parameters from other cars it'd be good.

@Cuzoe do you know what other performance focused cars use the 5Q0909144T rack or where i could search that? I'm not sure where to look on model spec compatibility.