GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Too bad for the manual function

Spare as in extra extra length, the difference between the estate and regular mk7 is around 40cm. Still waiting on the confirmation if the base of the octavia is the same as the estate
I seem to recall that it was quite precise, but I can't confirm either way, sorry!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Maybe I'm missing something here... but why not just order the kit @IWMTom used since it is correct for the vehicle and demonstrated to work? The price difference is only $10 and the one @IWMTom linked says it will ship FedEx International Priority for free. I don't know if that shipping "quote" will hold up but both packages will likely cost about the same to ship. Plus you can get help from someone who has installed it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Maybe I'm missing something here... but why not just order the kit @IWMTom used since it is correct for the vehicle and demonstrated to work? The price difference is only $10 and the one @IWMTom linked says it will ship FedEx International Priority for free. I don't know if that shipping "quote" will hold up but both packages will likely cost about the same to ship. Plus you can get help from someone who has installed it.
He's got an Estate, I don't!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I applaud the effort. Takes a degree of balls to take your car apart I don't have. The most I've done is replace door latches on my MK4.

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
I applaud the effort. Takes a degree of balls to take your car apart I don't have. The most I've done is replace door latches on my MK4.
Thats like filling up gasoline...

Oké we are making baby steps! As all chinese sellers, can’t help me with my estate....

i have compared the measurements of gasspring in the boot of various MQB builds with same locking mechanism as the variant:

mk7 variant:
  • Ausschubkraft [N]: 520
  • Hub [mm]: 193
    Länge: 548, Länge: 318, Gehäusedurchmesser: 22, Kolbenstangendurchmesser: 8, Ausschubkraft: 520, Einbauort: beidseitig, Hub: 193

• Mk7
  • Länge [mm]: 317 mm
  • Gehäusedurchmesser [mm]: 22 mm
  • Kolbenstangendurchmesser [mm]: 8 mm

• sportsvan
    • Länge [mm]: 536 mm
    • Ausschubkraft [N]: 670 N
    • Hub [mm]: 207 mm

• The closest is the sportsvan, as compared to the specs, do i miss something or is the closest set to buy the one of the sportsvan?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thats like filling up gasoline...

Oké we are making baby steps! As all chinese sellers, can’t help me with my estate....

i have compared the measurements of gasspring in the boot of various MQB builds with same locking mechanism as the variant:

mk7 variant:
  • Ausschubkraft [N]: 520
  • Hub [mm]: 193
    Länge: 548, Länge: 318, Gehäusedurchmesser: 22, Kolbenstangendurchmesser: 8, Ausschubkraft: 520, Einbauort: beidseitig, Hub: 193

• Mk7
  • Länge [mm]: 317 mm
  • Gehäusedurchmesser [mm]: 22 mm
  • Kolbenstangendurchmesser [mm]: 8 mm

• sportsvan
    • Länge [mm]: 536 mm
    • Ausschubkraft [N]: 670 N
    • Hub [mm]: 207 mm

• The closest is the sportsvan, as compared to the specs, do i miss something or is the closest set to buy the one of the sportsvan?
I simply wouldn't buy anything not quoted by the seller to be supported.

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
I simply wouldn't buy anything not quoted by the seller to be supported.

There goes my bubble😭🤣😂... thanks for keeping me sharp too look carefully into what im buying, but I have found my first estate with retrofit electro hatch for $699 @ https://www.autoease.com/ sure i can get i fot half@ alie

Update: i have cross referenced all connections for the sportsvan, mk7 and estate.

-the connection towards the locking mechanism/kessy looks te same and they are the same part numbers on sportsvan, mk7 and the estate.

-boot tailgate camera and locking mechanism on car and in boot, are the same part numbers.

-length differences of electric pole is max 1inch. Taken into account, the pole is electric and those Chinese, didn’t make it car specific, and at last, the electric latch lock, does the last work of closing.

Main concerns for buying a different kitt than car:

1:strength in Newton (estate)500 vs (sportsvan) 650 = difference of 150n

2: is the difference, of the connection of the original gas spring on the car. All other mqb tailgate boots, except, offcourse my estate, don’t have a hump, all other estates do have this hump.. EF03EEF2-36F1-410D-B31D-AE2D053E4300.jpeg

based on different examples how those spring struts work and what to look for when replacing them:

1: length of strut 536mm (estate) vs 548mm(sportsvan)
2: thickness/diameter of strut 22mm (estate) vs 19mm (sportsvan) but i could also find replacement springs with 19mm for the estate...?
3: connection/screw of springs= VW
4: Newton

Last edited:

puuhapet

Car(s)
Golf MK7 TGI Variant
Hello

I have a Golf mk7 Variant/Estate 2016 but I took a risk and bought this. I received it yesterday. The seller could not confirm that it would fit my car.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832572155.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ce0a4c4dmQOGBU

I'm expecting that mechanically everything fits but wiring to the fuse box will be to short and need to be extended.

I will try to install it this weekend. I will report back how it went.

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Hello

I have a Golf mk7 Variant/Estate 2016 but I took a risk and bought this. I received it yesterday. The seller could not confirm that it would fit my car.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832572155.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ce0a4c4dmQOGBU

I'm expecting that mechanically everything fits but wiring to the fuse box will be to short and need to be extended.

I will try to install it this weekend. I will report back how it went.

Nice car! 😎
Really curious whether it will fit or not, I finally got a picture for a sportsvan
135BF764-C02B-40C9-A0E0-D8FD5B2E136B.png
These 4 black plugs that hold the spring will fit in all connection of mqb

can you confirm you received the same package as stated above, or enlight us about yours!

puuhapet

Car(s)
Golf MK7 TGI Variant
Nice car! 😎
Really curious whether it will fit or not, I finally got a picture for a sportsvan
View attachment 196490
These 4 black plugs that hold the spring will fit in all connection of mqb

can you confirm you received the same package as stated above, or enlight us about yours!

Wiring looks the same. Mounting hardware for the electric poles I had two short black plugs and two plugs mounted in a plate(number 9 on the photo). With the plates the mounting point moves 20 mm up which is needed because the poles minimum length when the lid is closed is longer than the original gas struts.
Näyttökuva 2020-12-19 kello 20.04.23.png

I managed to install the kit I bought and I got it working. The wiring was perfect length.

I had to modify the plates that had the plugs. I had to cut a piece off and grind the screw hole to an oval shape. The mounting point has raised portion so they would not fit.
20201218_193936.jpg

20201218_205450.jpg

Video of the operation. The remote opening with the keyfob also works.