GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

Lobo2515

Hi,
Im looking for some recommendations for adding a Power Lift Gate on My Mk7 (open & Close not just the Open Mod)

Has anyone done this and if so what brand did you get ? the only one i was able to Find is made by autoease which are in china.

Thanks,

Lobo2515

Thank J ! From the Looks of it this is gonna be 1 Big DIY project as their kit requires to drill Holes for the front and back button as their are 'generic'
Im More Worried About the Wiring part then Anything else their instruction are really basic.
But with the Covid i have ALOT of time , not so sure i want to dump 600$ in the trash should this be total Garbage. There is No way to return Stuff in China
I'll keep looking around and if i pull the trigger i'll get back to report my Success or Failure LOL

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Would like also but never heard of one for this vehicle.
Wife's SUV has it and it is nice to never touch it.

Her set up looks simple as it is mainly powered shocks. They are bigger and might take more room when hatched closed on a MK7.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Tom : oohhh nice thanks for the info ! On a 10 Scale how satisfied are you ?

I'd say 8/10.

The instructions could have been much better, and I wish there was a way to temporarily disable the mechanism to open it manually.

Other than that, works well. Button on the steering column, another inside the hatch. The original emblem works for opening it too, as does the button on the key remote.

The fit and finish is decent, seems like good quality. I only installed it a month or so ago though so only time will tell for reliability.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've done this mod - I purchased this kit:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUj7jw8
Came with the drill bits required to drill holes in the metal for the wires from the struts. Pretty nice kit all in all, works well. Instructions are a bit crap though.
awesome1 thanks for the link... i use my hatch a lot and have been thinking about ways to retrofit something so this seems perfect. would you happen to have pics or a vid of the operation?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
awesome1 thanks for the link... i use my hatch a lot and have been thinking about ways to retrofit something so this seems perfect. would you happen to have pics or a vid of the operation?
Washed my car today and took the opportunity to grab a video of it working:

Shows using the emblem to open the hatch, with the button on the hatch to close it, followed by using the key remote to open and close it.

Here's a photo of a strut:

27B00572-1A53-437C-A46A-2A981D16A01E.jpeg

Here's a photo of the button on the steering column:

2F6807C5-C61F-4540-9BAD-F122F1315D74.jpeg

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
you can buy the ecs pop hatch kit, it has better springs that pop the tail gate right open, then you can used OBDeleven to code your keyfob for one of the button that will open the back hatch so that might be the cheapest way to go about. or maybe there is already a button on the key to open the hatch idn, maybe im wrong

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
you can buy the ecs pop hatch kit, it has better springs that pop the tail gate right open, then you can used OBDeleven to code your keyfob for one of the button that will open the back hatch so that might be the cheapest way to go about. or maybe there is already a button on the key to open the hatch idn, maybe im wrong

Hatch pop kits are an okay alternative for opening, but not for closing.

I worry about the hinges with the uprated springs though, because the videos I've seen show quite an abrupt stop.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
yeah for closing it wouldn't help. I also havn't really seen anyone one here do an electric open close mod, my fiance jeep has the open close its nice, i have a snowboard / used to go all the time, if it was me i would buy a roof rack and put it on top, dont want all that snow in my nice gti