GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Washed my car today and took the opportunity to grab a video of it working:

Shows using the emblem to open the hatch, with the button on the hatch to close it, followed by using the key remote to open and close it.

Here's a photo of a strut:

View attachment 169041

Here's a photo of the button on the steering column:

View attachment 169042
wow this is awesome. how long did it take you to install?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
wow this is awesome. how long did it take you to install?

A full day (about 8 hours).

There's a lot of trim to remove and wires to run, but the biggest challenge was trying to understand the instructions.

The installation itself is relatively simple if you have trim removal tools (pick them up on eBay for pocket change). Just a whole bunch of wires that need running between the fusebox, steering column, and the hatch.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
you can buy the ecs pop hatch kit, it has better springs that pop the tail gate right open, then you can used OBDeleven to code your keyfob for one of the button that will open the back hatch so that might be the cheapest way to go about. or maybe there is already a button on the key to open the hatch idn, maybe im wrong
Most are all aware of that option...its not at all the same in regards to what we are looking for out of this modification. i have kids and would much rather them push a button to close it than pull down on the hatch.

IMWtom thanks for the vid and pics i appreciate it, i will probably add the under car sensor cause for the extra $45 its worth the novelty to me.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Most are all aware of that option...its not at all the same in regards to what we are looking for out of this modification. i have kids and would much rather them push a button to close it than pull down on the hatch.

IMWtom thanks for the vid and pics i appreciate it, i will probably add the under car sensor cause for the extra $45 its worth the novelty to me.

No problem. I didn't opt for the under car sensor myself, but if you find it useful please do share the install with us as I may consider it at a later date!

VadGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd say 8/10.

The instructions could have been much better, and I wish there was a way to temporarily disable the mechanism to open it manually.

Pardon my ignorance, I don't have much experience with power liftgates. Does this mean that it's always operational? You walk up, pull the emblem and have to wait for this thing's operation to complete? There's essentially no way to open it faster or cancel/close it sooner?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Pardon my ignorance, I don't have much experience with power liftgates. Does this mean that it's always operational? You walk up, pull the emblem and have to wait for this thing's operation to complete? There's essentially no way to open it faster or cancel/close it sooner?

You can't really force it to open faster because you risk damaging the electric struts, but that's not really an issue because I tend to open it with the remote from afar so it's open by the time I get to it.

You can cancel it by hitting the button on the hatch which will stop it in its current position, and then press again to close from that position.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

Right. Our Q5 has it and it's pretty slow. I personally don't like it, wish it had been an option. I also bonked myself in the head last week when I washed it, didn't realize it had the under car sensor and was drying the rear bumper and activated it. Stopped it with my head though.
Curious if the aftermarket ones have the pressure sensor? These things open and close with a lot of force, seems like a safety risk without it, and damage to your hatch when opening could be a risk. Our Q5 allows you to set the opening height, in case you have a low garage door.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Right. Our Q5 has it and it's pretty slow. I personally don't like it, wish it had been an option. I also bonked myself in the head last week when I washed it, didn't realize it had the under car sensor and was drying the rear bumper and activated it. Stopped it with my head though.
Curious if the aftermarket ones have the pressure sensor? These things open and close with a lot of force, seems like a safety risk without it, and damage to your hatch when opening could be a risk. Our Q5 allows you to set the opening height, in case you have a low garage door.

Yeah, it has the sensor for when it collides with an object when opening, and the same when closing.

It also has the ability to set the opening height.

Eurosmart

A full day (about 8 hours).

There's a lot of trim to remove and wires to run, but the biggest challenge was trying to understand the instructions.

The installation itself is relatively simple if you have trim removal tools (pick them up on eBay for pocket change). Just a whole bunch of wires that need running between the fusebox, steering column, and the hatch.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Where did you place the control module and how did you run the wires front to back?

Behind the hatch trim, there's a handy space for keeping it. Either side of the emblem, there is a well with enough room to fit the control box.

Cables run through the hatch boots, along the driver side sill (I drive a RHD car, YMMV) and through to the steering column, then it branches to another wire through to the fusebox for power.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Cool mod. Not sure i'll ever do it, but it is a handy feature we use all the time in the wife's SUV. Your install looks nice and clean gj