GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

Pltgeorge

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7
Wiring looks the same. Mounting hardware for the electric poles I had two short black plugs and two plugs mounted in a plate(number 9 on the photo). With the plates the mounting point moves 20 mm up which is needed because the poles minimum length when the lid is closed is longer than the original gas struts.
View attachment 196734

I managed to install the kit I bought and I got it working. The wiring was perfect length.

I had to modify the plates that had the plugs. I had to cut a piece off and grind the screw hole to an oval shape. The mounting point has raised portion so they would not fit.
View attachment 196736
View attachment 196737

Video of the operation. The remote opening with the keyfob also works.
Hello, are still active on thus forum?

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
@Nuje

I did some more testing and had to remove the rubber to see if it was the cause, but it still doesn't work.

check the video another Test I can't understand anymore what the problem could be. and the seller insists the kit is right for my car uffff

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Hello. It's been a while but I am still struggling with the tailgate system. Recently I spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong and I came to surprising conclusions. When the car engine is off, the tailgate closes completely only when any car door is open but when all doors are closed, it won't close completely, i.e. it rests on the lock but it is not pulled by it. It looks like the air (pressure) in the car creates enough resistance to stop the tailgate from closing completely. And the tailgate usually opens by itself when I remove the warning triangle from the tailgate to make it lighter. But when I open and close it a few times, it stops opening by itself and I have to help it, lifting it a little after it starts moving. And now I am wondering if these are signs of bad struts or the battery. Because it is the struts that are resposible for lifting and pulling if the starting phase of opening and the final phase of closing.

Hi @oyster
Unfortunately I'm also having the same problems as you. The tailgate closes but is not always pulled and closes completely. Like you, I noticed that if the engine is running and a door or even a window is open, the tailgate always closes well. But if the engine is off it doesn't always close. Have you found a solution? Thank you

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
@Nuje

I did some more testing and had to remove the rubber to see if it was the cause, but it still doesn't work.

check the video another Test I can't understand anymore what the problem could be. and the seller insists the kit is right for my car uffff
Have you checked inside the car as it's closing to see if the "suction" latch is pulling the hatch inward after it first closes - like this?
Power.hatch.suction.lock.2.gif

I'll just add that when I first installed, it seemed to work properly maybe 60% of the time. And then once I started driving with it, it worked perfectly ALL the time. I don't know if the electronics "learn" the closing point over time, or if things just magically "loosened up", or what. But 8 months in, it works pretty much flawlessly for me now. Even through the winter.