GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power figures

MKX

Passed Driver's Ed
Jamie has said that VW wants to build the NA Golf somewhere in North America. I believe he cited import taxes as the biggest motive. However, it wasn't clear if that means it would be made in the US or Mexico. And this point, I think it's still up the air. I'm sure you can dig it up on Vortex if you really want to.

Personally, I don't really care where it's made. The Jetta is a piece because they designed it to be cheap and went way overboard to start. They've recontented a bit, but everything that happened with the Jetta was by design and experimenting with content levels tailored to the US. There haven't been any significant quality control issues in Puebla as of late, no more than Chattanooga or Europe.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
We need to hope its produced in the US to keep costs down even further. New plant = better quality :D

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
I honestly don't care what it makes stock. 217 is dissapointing, but we're all going to tune it anyways. I hope this turbo has a little more top end than the last one. If this motor can make MK6 K04-ish numbers at stage 2, I'll be stoked.

I think that is very very wishful thinking. However if that was the case I would be thrilled b/c after seeing pics of the blue 4 door displayed in paris I fell in love. I want a 4 door DSG in that Blue with LSD/Bigger Brakes package.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
We need to hope its produced in the US to keep costs down even further. New plant = better quality :D

Also if it is built on this side of the pond we may get more options we have been missing out on for years.. I would love park assist ( because of wife :) ), and adaptive sport suspension. Rented a Rocco in Germany with the adaptive suspension... and I can tell you we are missing out big time :(

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Also if it is built on this side of the pond we may get more options we have been missing out on for years.. I would love park assist ( because of wife :) ), and adaptive sport suspension. Rented a Rocco in Germany with the adaptive suspension... and I can tell you we are missing out big time :(

I wouldnt count on it. If it hasnt been offered in 6-7 years..it probably wont make it on. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion

I rented one of those too for my Ring experience. Loved it.

Call me sentimental, I just want my GTI to be German. I have a 12 JSW from Mexico and its fine so far, but its also just transportation. My GTI is more of a special treat to myself.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Should we rename this thread "Where is the mk7 going to be built?"?!? :lol:

I'm kidding. Don't do that.

FWIW, and it's worth a hell of a lot, the MQB platform can be built wherever an MQB platform factory is. We already know there's one plant in Germany (that's the wolfsburg plant, am I right?). Though I haven't heard whether the new Passat is built on MQB or not, I'm betting that VAG's newest plant in Chattanooga is MQB compatible. If so, I bet the golf will be produced there. As for the GTI, it would follow that it is built there, but for the reduced volumes it may still be produced in Germany. I'd give it a 50/50 chance :iono:

PS - ^^where are our smileys??^^

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
what about this post

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793500#post793500

concerning how responsive valve lift is to modding?

Very interesting about the TSI making so much more power in tuned form. Maybe the tuners have yet to take control of the cam controll on the valve lift motors like VTEC controllers do on Hondas. Maybe the head flows less... just making guesses here, but it seems very strange. We'll find out more soon, and with this motor going in the GTI it should get much more development from all the Tuners than the current Audi unit.

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
what about this post

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793500#post793500

concerning how responsive valve lift is to modding?

The info in that post is incorrect. The graph actually appears to be comparing the 2.0 VL at stage 1 versus the 2.0 TSI at stage 2.

If you look up the correct graphs on APR's website it shows that the 2.0 VL at stage 2 produces 281 hp/314 ft-lbs.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsivl_trans.html

The 2.0 TSI in the MK6 at only produces 273 hp/313 ft-lbs at stage 2.

It is interesting that neither stage 1 or 2 really add much low end torque to the valve-lift engine. It seems you really need a downpipe to open up the top end and make more power.