GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Got the springs installed this morning. Only 20 miles on them so we’ll see if they settle.
Decided to go with 235 ps4 on the vmr810. 19x8.5 et45

CEC03624-9CCD-4241-83AE-935E6D3DB843.jpeg

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
So just an update. Put about 200 miles on the car this week. Almost broken in! lol Anyways, asked my wife what she thought about it compared to my MK7 I had with VWR springs. She said definitely better and "less bumpy and bouncy". Which was the biggest reason for getting these + my son, so all in all that's a win. No noises yet to speak off, so that's also positive, but my suspension is also brand new with only 400 miles. I did still provided new strut bearings (not mounts) and axle bolts along with a few other end link bolts and nuts.

Car definitely feels very close to stock, maybe a smidge stiffer to me. Where I remember the VWR spring being really harsh on freeway overpass transitions and jarring this is definitely more supple. On the way back from my dads over the weekend with fully loaded car (wife, and son in car seat) we hit a dip at around 85 and I did hear the fronts rub on the fender bolt. I'm 235/35 on my 19x8.5 et45 so I'll probably take the bolt out to be safe.

All in all this is the perfect "dad" / grown up ride height imo. Don't get me wrong , I love me some low cars - not broken looking, but this just reduces the SUV looking ride height to something more manageable and livable on a daily basis. If youre after a more aggressive "stance" and really getting rid of that gap down, I would look at VWR springs or something else . For the $156 I paid for these springs, I couldn't be happier knowing that my shocks wont be toast in 15-20k miles

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I appreciate the info posted above.

I'll compare them to the DG springs. I definitely want small drop
Hi. Curious if you ever went with the DGs? I have a 19 GLI Autobahn-no DCC and looking for a minimal drop. Thanks!

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Hi. Curious if you ever went with the DGs? I have a 19 GLI Autobahn-no DCC and looking for a minimal drop. Thanks!
I never bought them. Just sitting on it for now. Colorado winters make me a bit nervous going lower and my local shop quoted me $700 to install. Maybe in the Spring but I need to figure out about coding the dampers which I know nothing about

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Thanks much for getting back.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I never bought them. Just sitting on it for now. Colorado winters make me a bit nervous going lower and my local shop quoted me $700 to install. Maybe in the Spring but I need to figure out about coding the dampers which I know nothing about
Coding the dampers?

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So just an update. Put about 200 miles on the car this week. Almost broken in! lol Anyways, asked my wife what she thought about it compared to my MK7 I had with VWR springs. She said definitely better and "less bumpy and bouncy". Which was the biggest reason for getting these + my son, so all in all that's a win. No noises yet to speak off, so that's also positive, but my suspension is also brand new with only 400 miles. I did still provided new strut bearings (not mounts) and axle bolts along with a few other end link bolts and nuts.

Car definitely feels very close to stock, maybe a smidge stiffer to me. Where I remember the VWR spring being really harsh on freeway overpass transitions and jarring this is definitely more supple. On the way back from my dads over the weekend with fully loaded car (wife, and son in car seat) we hit a dip at around 85 and I did hear the fronts rub on the fender bolt. I'm 235/35 on my 19x8.5 et45 so I'll probably take the bolt out to be safe.

All in all this is the perfect "dad" / grown up ride height imo. Don't get me wrong , I love me some low cars - not broken looking, but this just reduces the SUV looking ride height to something more manageable and livable on a daily basis. If youre after a more aggressive "stance" and really getting rid of that gap down, I would look at VWR springs or something else . For the $156 I paid for these springs, I couldn't be happier knowing that my shocks wont be toast in 15-20k miles

Make sure to share some post-settling pics. I'm looking at these or H&R OE Sports for mine, as I'm in the "dad/grown-up" demographic now too. (y)

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Make sure to share some post-settling pics. I'm looking at these or H&R OE Sports for mine, as I'm in the "dad/grown-up" demographic now too. (y)
It should be settled by now, I've put about 500-600 miles on it and tbh it looks the same. I'll try and take a pic today/tomorrow. I'll say it looks ever so slightly lower in the rear with a full tank than on an empty tank. There are times I wish it was a little lower and stiffer. I did a canyon run and it there was a dip and a turn which unsettled the rear end pretty aggressively and led to some decent understeer and felt like it was floating. But I think that's just FWD nature or perhaps I'm use to the Cayman's handling and then forget I cant go as aggressive into the corners anymore 😁

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
as you can see still pretty much identical ride height.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
you think if you were to get 245 tires it would be rub city? or 235 is the best when running 19inch wheels on this setup? are you using spacers btw?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
you think if you were to get 245 tires it would be rub city? or 235 is the best when running 19inch wheels on this setup? are you using spacers btw?
I'm assuming youre asking me? I've rubbed the front on some big dips but the fender screw mod would probably eliminate that. PS4's also run a bit wider than some other brands. So 235 on a different brand may appear more stretched.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Im running 245/35r19 General GMAX RS. I only rub in the back on OEM Audi S3 wheels because I'm running a 15mm spacer in the back.