GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

tomatozaku

There have been few threads discussing about VWR springs which should be great based on the comments of all users. I would like to start a new thread to discuss DG springs made by Mubea. As opposed to MK6, the DG springs are no longer made by Eibach but Mubea in Mk7.

There are more than 10 different DG springs based on engine output, axle load or axle type. The parts number for GTI 4dr should be 5G4071677E, that gives the highest axle load with 1050kg and 950kg in the front and rear respectively. VW said it is DCC compatible. The parts number is same all over the world.

Based on what I learnt from Bruce, though it is not GTI specific, the spring rate should be very close to GTI with reduced travel. In other words, these spring would give you same ride quality but don't expect it will give viable improvement in handling. The only benefit from this product is better look by lowering your car at safe range.

So here is the link to the VW Germany website:

https://shops.volkswagen.com/de_DE/...gsatz--25-30-mm--golf-7-2-türer-5g3071677d-10#

To me, DG sounds more attractive as:
1. You can keep your warranty especially those have DCC.
2. The drop appears to be least among all springs. It avoid rubbing the lip when going through the bump or travelling up or down at deep slope inside the carpark.
3. Same ride quality and handling
4. No adverse effect on the dampers given the drop is mild.

I don't think using DG is common among MK 7 GTI but I would like to see if any members here can post your DG spring before and after the installation. In particular, the amount of drop after the installation and your comments on these springs.

I have once seen our member "ModfyGTI" has posted certain pictures after installation of his H&R springs then followed by DG spring (it was first misinterpreted as VWR spring). The drop in DG spring is so subtle that some of the members though it is the stock height. Correct me if I have wrongly interpreted their discussions.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7301

jjm51

Ready to race!
i'm subbed to this.

hoping people post their thoughts, pics, etc about these springs. if i do a drop i am leaning towards the DG springs.

thanks for starting this thread.

jjm51

Ready to race!
also, there is a super long thread on the mk6 forum about the DG's. let me know if you want me to link it.

lot's of good info there i believe.

Last edited:

carterruss

Ready to race!
2 Door:

5G3071677A
HA axle load, max. [Kg]: 890
VA axle load, max. [Kg]: 1010
Capacity / Performance: <90 KW (COMPOSITE HANDLEBAR-HA)
DCC OK

5G3071677B
VA axle load, max. [Kg]: 1050
DCC OK

5G3071677C
VA axle load, max. [Kg]: 930
Capacity / Performance: ≥ 90 KW (MORE HAND-HA)
Not recommended for: Natural gas vehicles
DCC OK

5G3071677D
DCC Ok

5G3071677E
DCC OK

5G3071677
DCC OK

4 Door:

5G4071677A
DCC OK

5G4071677B
DCC OK

5G4071677C
DCC OK

5G4071677D
DCC OK

5G4071677E
HA axle load, max. [Kg]: 950 (ONLY FOR MARKET NAR)
DCC OK

5G4071677
DCC OK

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
By how much will this affect stock damper life? Is anyone able to quantify this in miles?

Much anticipated and great thread BTW!

jjm51

Ready to race!
By how much will this affect stock damper life? Is anyone able to quantify this in miles?

mike;

i read on the mk6 forum that if you put these springs on fairly early in the car's life you should not have issues.

here is a 183 pages and counting thead from our brother's over on the mk6 forum on the DG springs.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12098

some very good info and pics albeit a very long read. :rolleyes:

seems that for those who want a subtle drop and still maintain the integrity of the oem aspects of the suspension that this may be the way to go.

as the bruce seemed to be trying to say...

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Thank you John.

I did read through much if that lengthy thread and from what I recall, there were people stating that they were getting much reduced life out of their OEM dampers. However, I didn't take into account when they installed them. Maybe if they put them on the car later, their stock dampers were already on the way out?

I too miss the prespective that The Bruce had, hopefully he'll be back soon.

IMHERETOSTAY

I was advised by VW that these would break warranty as they are meant for the Golf and not specifically the GTI... Just so you guys know!

tomatozaku

This is an OEM parts and therefore I expect VW would manufacture it at the spec safe to the existing components. My experience in other brand of car is similar. OEM spring from factory won't hurt the damper given the drop is so conservative.

jjm51

Ready to race!
trying to keep this thread alive! :)

bump this.

plus found another very good read/link from our brothers on the mk5 forum. (including the bruce! :))

the following link is absolutely excellent. i hope it's ok to link this? 'white james' does and outstanding job on his posts (and pics) about all things suspension. including a very very detailed educational deal on DG springs.

i'm hoping this thread comes alive because i think there be many of us who want the subtle drop that the DG springs provide for a daily driver. man, i wish bruce was here because you can read thru this thread and his posts are easy to understand as well as 'white james' who put tremendous effort/time into his posts..

anyway here is the link. hope some of you learn as much as i did. i will try to thank 'white james' somehow.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100863&page=21

tomatozaku

With the help of Modfydgti, he posted additional pics on the drop after installing DG. Here is the link

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7955

This is exactly what I need. With spacers or changing other sport wheel with ET45 would make it even better. If I want to go any lower than DG, coilover is the only option. Once again, I would like to thank you Bruce and Modfydgti who has contributed so much for this thread.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone found the stock spring rates for the various Golf models yet?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
bump this.

plus found another very good read/link from our brothers on the mk5 forum. (including the bruce! :))

the following link is absolutely excellent. i hope it's ok to link this? 'white james' does and outstanding job on his posts (and pics) about all things suspension. including a very very detailed educational deal on DG springs.

i'm hoping this thread comes alive because i think there be many of us who want the subtle drop that the DG springs provide for a daily driver. man, i wish bruce was here because you can read thru this thread and his posts are easy to understand as well as 'white james' who put tremendous effort/time into his posts..

anyway here is the link. hope some of you learn as much as i did. i will try to thank 'white james' somehow.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100863&page=21

Hello Yiannis! We miss the bruce, that's for sure, I hope that he will be coming back, but I doubt it after the way he was treated and banned in complete secrecy by this forum (we still do not know why). He must join an other Golf mk7 forum so that we can follow him and learn a few things about the MQB platform. As for White James, you can find him in the VWWatercooled forum too. He is a "suspension guru" like the bruce and I would like to see him in here as he owns a mk7 too.
Best wishes from your sunny (but chilly right now) country!