GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Looks very good breakingbadly - still trying to figure out if I want the extra low drop of the vwr/emmanuelle springs.

The ED springs aren't that low, and I really liked them (after I installed them for a local GTI guy)
The car looks low from far away, but up close there is still a good 2 finger gap

Perfect balance of height & nice ride quality, IMO

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
The ED springs aren't that low, and I really liked them (after I installed them for a local GTI guy)
The car looks low from far away, but up close there is still a good 2 finger gap

Perfect balance of height & nice ride quality, IMO

If I look at my current, stock, fender to wheel measurement, and subtract 1.2" - its a liiiiittle more than a 1 finger gap. The DG springs will be a good 2 finger gap based on my measurements from stock. Also measuring the front bumper dropping 1.2" - it gets pretty low man, particularly with how low the front fender liners drop beneath the car. Pretty much everyone with VWR springs (which should be an identical drop) says there's a 1 finger gap. I love the look, but that much drop IMO takes away from the gti being a great year round daily driver. To call it a "sport" spring drop is a bit misleading. In the old mk4, 5, 6 days... an eibach pro kit would be called a sport spring. The vwr and ED springs are significantly more aggressive than what we used to call a sport spring drop (probably because the cars are no longer complete 4x4's in stock form). Whereas, .75" drop from the DG springs will clean up the slop, give a good stance, with really no ill effects.

I was looking through old pictures of my previous mk4 r32's (on koni coils, and then euro springs, and then HPA shs) and mk6 on dg springs - I decided I'm just not into dealing with significantly lower ride height anymore. The mild drops have always imo made the car feel more "capable" with no negativity of going sideways up inclines or avoiding snow.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
It's interesting that there are no Driver Gear springs specifically designed for the GTI. The ideal drop would probably be around one inch, but there is nothing(that I'm aware of) on the market with that specific drop. It's either .75" or 1.25...or lower."
I'm having ED springs installed soon, but I'm starting to agree with Yukon, it might be too much for a year round DD. Even though I have a truck for winter conditions, I'm wondering now if the 1.25" drop is going to become a pain in my ass...

anjoVW

Ready to race!
It's interesting that there are no Driver Gear springs specifically designed for the GTI. The ideal drop would probably be around one inch, but there is nothing(that I'm aware of) on the market with that specific drop. It's either .75" or 1.25...or lower."
I'm having ED springs installed soon, but I'm starting to agree with Yukon, it might be too much for a year round DD. Even though I have a truck for winter conditions, I'm wondering now if the 1.25" drop is going to become a pain in my ass...

DG springs are a 1 inch drop on Golfs/( our height is really bad) so we can get that subtle drop. As far as I'm aware, VWR springs should give GTI's 1 inch drop right? I know for my car it would be about inch and a half since I'm higher.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
DG springs are a 1 inch drop on Golfs/( our height is really bad) so we can get that subtle drop. As far as I'm aware, VWR springs should give GTI's 1 inch drop right? I know for my car it would be about inch and a half since I'm higher.

VWRs are supposed to be ~1.2-1.4" drop on a GTI. One option is to do height adjustable coilovers (like Bilstein PSS) but leave them at the top of the range. It's expensive, but worth it if you're into tracking/canyon runs.

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
So after months of trying to get a proper drop on my 1.6 TDi I finally managed it using VWR springs last week. I had a nightmare with a VW dealership and DG springs as you may have seen from my previous posts. Instead I went with VWR springs and have now achieved the perfect drop at last. This is not a dig on anybody fitting DG springs to their cars but a reminder to make sure you are getting the correct springs in the first place when purchasing.
In my case the VW Dealership made the mistake.2 top pics have DG springs and last pic has the VWR springs fitted. Way lower both back and front now. Ride quality isnt as nice as DG springs but on saying that it is still nice!

Figgy. Pretty new to these MK7s, and coming from a classic Polo back ground. What springs did you go for before these (can't find your other thread) and do you have part numbers for the ones you bought as well as where you got them from please? I'm getting a little confused as there seems to be two sorts of rear suspension (independent and torsion) even on the same model of car. I thought it was just the R, GTD and GTi that had independent set ups. Your car seems to have the sort of drop I'm looking for, but all the VWR springs I've found stipulate they only fit the GTI/R or are for independent rear suspension set ups. I have a '65 plate Match (1.6TDi). I see you have a Highline, but that's not a model we have on the mainland.

Thanks

It's quite simple:

In Europe, all 1.0 TSI, 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI come with torsion beam rear axles,
while all 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI (+ GTD, GTI, R) do come with multilink on rear.

America is a completely different thing (where 2.0 TDI only has torsion beam).
The above mentioned does not apply to the Seat Leon, which still just has
torsion beam axles on the 150 HP models (1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI).

It doesn't matter if it's a Highline, GT or whatever. So your 1.6 TDI inevitably
must have torsion beam.

Did you already visit the German www.Volkswagen-Zubehoer.de website? All
part numbers are listed. You should just know your corresponding axle loads
front and rear. If you have them at hand, I would try to help you finding the
correct part number for your TDI.

Last edited:

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the swift reply. I've just had a look at the website and I can't find anywhere to look at lowering springs etc. All I can view is the general accessories :-/

Update, I have found the lowering kit. These aren't the VWR springs are they?

Last edited:
> "Online-Shop"

https://shops.volkswagen.com/de_DE/web/guest

> "Volkswagen Original Zubehör für Ihr Model"

> "Golf"

> "Sport & Design"

> "Tieferlegungssatz" (deeper/lowering set)

"5G" part numbers are for Mk.VII, while "5K" is Mk.VI. "4-Türer" means 4-door,
while "Achslast" is (maximum permissible) "axle load".
Bear in mind, 2-door springs also fit 4-door models, they just are a bit shorter,
giving a tad more lowering on rear.

To my own surprise all the kits I found are stated as "Mehrlenker-HA", which
means multilink rear suspension unfortunately. Let me have a look at the TÜV
certificate when I'm back home. From what I remember all available versions
are listed in that document.

If they don't offer kits for torsion-beam models, I'd strongly suggest getting
a set of Eibach Pro springs, since they're similar (provided they sell them for
torsion-beam).

;)
https://shops.volkswagen.com/de_DE/...golf&facet_Category=4252&channelId=904_VWZ_OZ

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
This is what I've found, yet from reading Figgy's post, he's used some VWR springs. You mention eibach, but the drop is pretty small. What about h&r? I know some don't rate the ride due to progressive winding, but the lowering is a little more aggressive

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I have the part number for the torsion beam golfs from another thread VWR31G7BA. I'll need to ring the stealership and see if they can get them in

Edit - this is a part number for VWR springs for a torsion beam golf, not the factory DG springs

Last edited:
Euro H&R springs are progressive. Did your car come with "Sports Suspension"
(15 mm lowering) from factory? If not, your factory dampers are quite soft.
I would avoid pairing them with aggressive springs, since it'll feel underdamped,
bumpy or even crashy on anything but smooth roads with them. Mild ones are
the way to go.

Dedicated DG springs for torsion beam axle Mk7 Golfs definitely do exist,
mate:

Unfortunately only the Mubea (who are the manufacturer) part numbers
of each single spring type listed, not the Volkswagen DG kit part numbers.
It's one of those part numbers (5G...) printed on top of the sheet though.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Just got a set of DG E springs. They are supposed to be 1050/950, but it seems the rears are 890 (071 676 C). Per the pic above 950kg isn't on the data sheet anywhere. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere. Must be overlooking something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
Euro H&R springs are progressive. Did your car come with "Sports Suspension"
(15 mm lowering) from factory? If not, your factory dampers are quite soft.
I would avoid pairing them with aggressive springs, since it'll feel underdamped,
bumpy or even crashy on anything but smooth roads with them. Mild ones are
the way to go.

No, it has the standard suspension. So if it had the 'sports' suspension upgrade, would it have firmer shocks?