GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

dubless

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Thought I'd post an update on these DG springs since people are asking about how much do they settle. Well the first pic was taken Aug of last year when I first installed them, second was this past week. I don't think they've settled much at all. Maybe an 1/8" in the front but nothing in the back. Still ride awesome with stock DCC shocks.

123.jpg

1234.jpg

Last edited:

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
MK7.5 manual here. I’m thinking the dg springs are right for me. Do I need to get TT pads or anything or just add the springs?

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
9CBA0974-53B8-4E23-8B12-2BC0FCCDB912.jpeg
This is the car I want to throw the DG’s on. I’ve read that manual transmission GTI’s may need pads to avoid rake. Is that true?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
View attachment 218493This is the car I want to throw the DG’s on. I’ve read that manual transmission GTI’s may need pads to avoid rake. Is that true?
Yes, I used the Audi TT rear spring pads that can be bought at a dealer. I'm glad I installed them otherwise there would be reverse rake.

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
Thought I'd post an update on these DG springs since people are asking about how much do they settle. Well the first pic was taken Aug of last year when I first installed them, second was this past week. I don't think they've settled much at all. Maybe an 1/8" in the front but nothing in the back. Still ride awesome with stock DCC shocks.

View attachment 202984

View attachment 202985
How do you have a manual or automatic? They look great! How do you compare them to stock in terms of comfort and overall use?

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
Anthony I’d remove them. I don’t see many people using the pads on DG springs on mk7.5 cars. I’m not even sure about mk7 honestly. Your shocks should not effect ride height at all unless somehow installed incorrectly. Also your front springs have most likely settled since installed so now you have this rake. I’m running DG on my 7.5 with no TT pads and the car sits perfect.
Is your car a manual? I heard manuals get reverse rake without rear pads

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Is your car a manual? I heard manuals get reverse rake without rear pads
Check my post above but my car would have had reverse rake had I not installed the TT rear pads. Here's a pic of them with stock wheels. You be the judge.

This picture is after 1 week of getting DG springs + TT spring pads installed. I was running stock shocks I'm this picture.

20180228_074955.jpg

Last edited:

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
Check my post above but my car would have had reverse rake had I not installed the TT rear pads. Here's a pic of them with stock and aftermarket wheels. You be the judge.

This picture is after 1 week of getting DG springs+TT spring pads installed. I was running stock shocks I'm this picture.

View attachment 218533
Yes thank you for the picture! My car is brand new. 1k miles. Do you think I just need to add the springs and spacers? Do I need new bearings or anything else? Is this a sustainable setup? I want to do it and be done with it for at least a few years. Curious about the longevity of adding these springs to a stock set up.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Yes thank you for the picture! My car is brand new. 1k miles. Do you think I just need to add the springs and spacers? Do I need new bearings or anything else? Is this a sustainable setup? I want to do it and be done with it for at least a few years. Curious about the longevity of adding these springs to a stock set up.
I installed the DG springs at just 4500km of ownership. When I installed the DG springs I also replaced the strut mounts+bearings as it is costly if I didn't and ran into issues with noise and whatnot after the install. I used the DG springs with the stock shocks for an additional 40,000km's and the shocks still felt fine at the time I replaced them. FWIW here is the car as it stands now with DG springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. The Audi TT spring pads are still installed on the car.

20210406_181514.jpg

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
I installed the DG springs at just 4500km of ownership. When I installed the DG springs I also replaced the strut mounts+bearings as it is costly if I didn't and ran into issues with noise and whatnot after the install. I used the DG springs with the stock shocks for an additional 40,000km's and the shocks still felt fine at the time I replaced them. FWIW here is the car as it stands now with DG springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. The Audi TT spring pads are still installed on the car.

View attachment 218534
Omg wow. Now that is beautiful. Does she feel better with the B8’s?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Omg wow. Now that is beautiful. Does she feel better with the B8’s?
Yes much better, more composure on the road and at speed. The car feels less nervous when you start pushing it hard both in the corners and at high speed.

If you are wondering why the first picture I posted is of a white car, that is because I had the car wrapped 😄

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
Yes much better, more composure on the road and at speed. The car feels less nervous when you start pushing it hard both in the corners and at high speed.

If you are wondering why the first picture I posted is of a white car, that is because I had the car wrapped 😄
If you were to do it all over again, would you have paired it with b8’s and TT pads from the beginning? I have read that B6’s pair well with softer springs such as DG’s.
There are so many different options out there. So far your set up seems like the closest to what I want. Do you have any issues whatsoever with scraping on steep inclines? Are you absolutely happy with this set up? Thx a ton

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
If you were to do it all over again, would you have paired it with b8’s and TT pads from the beginning? I have read that B6’s pair well with softer springs such as DG’s.
There are so many different options out there. So far your set up seems like the closest to what I want. Do you have any issues whatsoever with scraping on steep inclines? Are you absolutely happy with this set up? Thx a ton
I have the same set up on my 2019; Bilstein B8, DG springs, rear TT pads. It is absolutely perfect for what I wanted out of the car. It's daily driven, but sometimes I like to drive a little spirited. It handles bad roads, expansion joints, and potholes much better than stock surprisingly. Very smooth over long rough patches, and most of all it's very quiet. I also have a 24mm rear H&R sway bar, and for the summer I put on some PS4S tires. I look forward to driving the car every day, wouldn't change a thing.

The only thing I'm not convinced about is the reverse rake. I tightened the suspension under load so everything was clocked correctly and not binding, and the rear is just a little higher than I'd like, visually. Not motivated enough to swap them out for stock though.

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5
I have the same set up on my 2019; Bilstein B8, DG springs, rear TT pads. It is absolutely perfect for what I wanted out of the car. It's daily driven, but sometimes I like to drive a little spirited. It handles bad roads, expansion joints, and potholes much better than stock surprisingly. Very smooth over long rough patches, and most of all it's very quiet. I also have a 24mm rear H&R sway bar, and for the summer I put on some PS4S tires. I look forward to driving the car every day, wouldn't change a thing.

The only thing I'm not convinced about is the reverse rake. I tightened the suspension under load so everything was clocked correctly and not binding, and the rear is just a little higher than I'd like, visually. Not motivated enough to swap them out for stock though.
Damn. That’s a great review. Can you get rear pads that sit lower than the TT pads, to drop the rear? Do you mind posting a picture of your setup? Thank you for the detailed review.

Fcs003

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti mk7.5

Also, could this be fixed by removing the pad or have you already experimented with that?