GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your experiences: 034 Motorsports Locking collar kit for MQB, or TyrolSport Deadset

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Didn't find what I'm after with the usual search functions. It's rare, but it happens.

Here's the latest:

-Front sway bar going in.

-TyrolSport is still backordered HARD on some missing pieces to make and sell a complete DeadSet kit.

-Their kit uses stronger, reusable ARP bolts and includes (beefier rear brackets?). I really like the ARP bolt idea.

-$300 is (for me) a lot for a companion upgrade

-Alternatively, for half the cost, a simpler but functional looking kit from 034:

https://www.034motorsport.com/mqb-f...-upgrade-kit-volkswagen-mkvii-golf-gti-r.html

034 kit includes a new set of the 1-time use bolts, but just the 4 main ones.

Simple questionnaire:

1) Who here has run the 034 kit, and with what level of satisfaction?

2) With either kit, how difficult did you find it to get the subframe properly aligned/centered during install, relative to the new bolts and collars?

3) What honest improvements did you notice, if any, post-install and post-alignment?

4) If building your car over again, how significantly would you rank this upgrade?

That is all. Keep the good info flowing! 🤝 🍺 🍻

(stolen/borrowed pic from VMR to enliven this post up)

1681388965200.png

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Look at it this way… there’s many front suspension upgrades to be installed to make the front end alive and responsive. The deadset kit anchors the subframe, providing a proper foundation.

I have the Tyrollsport kit up front. Yes, a perceivable mod felt through the steering and seat of pants.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
mk4 Jetta so different platform, but hopefully it helps at least a little

IIRC it was the 034 kit (I know it was solid subframe bushings, I just forget whos), I was extremely satisfied. Fit was snug without being a pain in the ass.

2) With either kit, how difficult did you find it to get the subframe properly aligned/centered during install, relative to the new bolts and collars?

Install wasn't bad at all, I had the subframe out anyway (long story) but it didn't seem awful. Those stock bushings were toast though

3) What honest improvements did you notice, if any, post-install and post-alignment?
The turn-in felt worlds better. I was doing a bushing refresh, so new R32 LCA bushings, new strut mounts/bearings in the front, I don't forsee that all happening just from LCA bushings though.

4) If building your car over again, how significantly would you rank this upgrade?

I'm not presently autocrossing my GTI, but I'm really thinking it's worth the money to at least get the 034 kit again, to avoid subframe movement. @SouthFL_Mk7.5 is right, it's a good foundation for all your other mods. If I were building a dedicated track car sparing no expense I'd consider a higher pricetag, but the 034 kit isn't stupid expensive and keeps things straightforward.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Hello gents.

Didn't find what I'm after with the usual search functions. It's rare, but it happens.

Here's the latest:

-Front sway bar going in.

-TyrolSport is still backordered HARD on some missing pieces to make and sell a complete DeadSet kit.

-Their kit uses stronger, reusable ARP bolts and includes (beefier rear brackets?). I really like the ARP bolt idea.

-$300 is (for me) a lot for a companion upgrade

-Alternatively, for half the cost, a simpler but functional looking kit from 034:

https://www.034motorsport.com/mqb-f...-upgrade-kit-volkswagen-mkvii-golf-gti-r.html

034 kit includes a new set of the 1-time use bolts, but just the 4 main ones.

Simple questionnaire:

That is all. Keep the good info flowing! 🤝 🍺 🍻

(stolen/borrowed pic from VMR to enliven this post up)

View attachment 278259

I went with the 034 kit, and I have pure satisfaction. Really it did what I needed it to, but you will still need an alignment afterwards. I would not trust either kit to maintain alignment 100% when being removed and reinstalled. I had zero concerns with the kit and using the OEM bolts. I can't speak to just the kit alone, as I did a slew of other things at the same time. If I were going through all the work again, I would continue to use the same kit in the future.

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Thank you, fellas. These are all great points. I especially like how KRS put it. 🍻

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The collars themself are nothing special. The AliExpress ones will do the same job.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
The collars themself are nothing special. The AliExpress ones will do the same job.

I added on to an order through another vendor, so it was simpler and quicker that way for me. But yeah, they're just stamped metal bits for the 034, pretty straightforward.

GoatAutomotive

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Sean - thank you for posting this link so I didn't have to scour the Chinese black market (AliExpress). 👌 🍻 ❤️

Who all has experience firsthand with the AliExpress hulk-green collars? Curious on fitment.

One review said the fronts fit loose. Curious if he perhaps had them in the wrong locations... 👀 🙃

Price alone is worth a consideration.

I have a hard time stomaching $144 for the 034 kit when it's using stock bolts that cost me ~$25 from my nearby VW drug dealer. That leaves ~$50-70 for the collars, and the rest is pure profit.

The TyrolSport costs twice as much, but includes new rear brackets (dunno if it helps) and HD ARP bolts, which aren't cheap standalone.

Unfortunately I'm about to do the FSB right meow, so I doubt I'll be able to wait long enough to do the deadset kits this go-around. I'm still always looking to learn from the experience of other folks. ✌️

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Sean - thank you for posting this link so I didn't have to scour the Chinese black market (AliExpress). 👌 🍻 ❤️

Who all has experience firsthand with the AliExpress hulk-green collars? Curious on fitment.

One review said the fronts fit loose. Curious if he perhaps had them in the wrong locations... 👀 🙃

Price alone is worth a consideration.

I have a hard time stomaching $144 for the 034 kit when it's using stock bolts that cost me ~$25 from my nearby VW drug dealer. That leaves ~$50-70 for the collars, and the rest is pure profit.

The TyrolSport costs twice as much, but includes new rear brackets (dunno if it helps) and HD ARP bolts, which aren't cheap standalone.

Unfortunately I'm about to do the FSB right meow, so I doubt I'll be able to wait long enough to do the deadset kits this go-around. I'm still always looking to learn from the experience of other folks. ✌️

That particular link states it’s for the rear subframe, as an fyi.

Doesn’t the kit come with new OEM bolts? Mine from FCP did, not sure if it was an add on or not. Been about a year since I ordered.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
scour the Chinese black market (AliExpress).
If you just search "MK7 GTI collar" in Ali it pops up 7-8 links for different suppliers. Front and rear. These anodized ones just grabbed my eye. I have no frame of reference on whether or not they fit well (just to be clear).

How did the installation go? It's not too bad the first time. After that doing it once, its pretty quick and easy.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I've researched this myself because I'm collecting parts for a front end upgrade, and I keep coming back to the Tyrol Sport kit, despite the price. I think it's the most well thoughtout one in general.
+ ARP hardware
+ Bronze washers, instead of steel or aluminum, to prevent galvanic corrosion
+ Beefier, billet brackets increase rigidity.

- Price
- The factory brackets are probably designed to bend the subframe and engine/trans down during a front collision, pulling it under the car and not into the passenger compartment. The upgraded brackets may actually decrease the collision safety, even if they increase rigidity.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have the CTS kit, literally the same thing as the new EQT one. It's fine, does what it's supposed to do. Maybe the stock brackets are designed to crumple, but I doubt changing them is going to make the subframe somehow get pushed up into the footwell.

Tyrolsport will pay for itself if you drop the subframe regularly and change bolts every time. Wouldn't be hard to figure out your own re-usable hardware though.

If you want to save some money, buy from the cts/eqt supplier directly:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832823653270.html