GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Engine failures

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Obviously, this seems to be what the Germam dealer did. But it is used as a reason for denying compensation (normally they offer 50% of the cost if car<6years and full maintenance records)

Hmm, that should fall on the dealer, then. There's no way for the buyer (you) to know if the service was done or if the light was just reset.

Sirksael

Indeed. But as the car is 6 years old, no more warranty so I depend on goodwill.
I opened a case at VW Germany customer care, don't know what to expect as I am Belgian.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Indeed. But as the car is 6 years old, no more warranty so I depend on goodwill.
I opened a case at VW Germany customer care, don't know what to expect as I am Belgian.

Worst thing that can happen is the Germans will invade again on their way to France. Kidding. I hope VW gets it sorted out.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
***Snip***
Maybe some more info about "more to the story": the car did give me a low oil pressure warning just before I shut it off. I don't see how that is related to a stretched timing chain. At that moment the motor was already making screetching metal on metal sounds. Dealer tech says he has no idea about the root cause.
This sounds a awful lot like the infamous crank walk issues that have been brought up in the past. I'm guessing your car is a manual transmission?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Well, they showed me the car today. I obviously can't see if the chain is stretched, but I saw the scoring on valve cover and camshafts.
I too don't believe the missed maintenance has anything to do with the failure, unfortunately it has everything to do with the fact VW is not offering compensation.
Even more, oil & filter were preventively changed when I purchased the car, but this was not logged as a maintenance (and too late anyway, dealer says the 1 year maintenance needs to be done regardless of mileage)

Really, I feel the dealer is doing his best, he is the one who got the 20% compensation for me. But 80% of 14k euro is still too much.

Maybe some more info about "more to the story": the car did give me a low oil pressure warning just before I shut it off. I don't see how that is related to a stretched timing chain. At that moment the motor was already making screetching metal on metal sounds. Dealer tech says he has no idea about the root cause.
Just get a used longblock and have a indy shop with good reputation install it, Holland usually has the best price in Europe on used parts, google your engine code(CHHA or CHHB?) and you should be able to find some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instandset...IOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Aud...2-0-TFSI-TSI-CHH-CHHA-CHHB-CHHC-/223385717441

Sirksael

This sounds a awful lot like the infamous crank walk issues that have been brought up in the past. I'm guessing your car is a manual transmission?
Yes, correct, it is a MT. Thought did cross my mind when I was looking for common causes of engine failure on the MK7, but I didn't get any of the warning signs or fault codes. Could still be the case, car is an early '15. I'll never know for sure I guess.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so just a random thought....odometer fraud? It is real low mileage for it's age and combine that with an unusual failure.

it sux no matter what

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Well, they showed me the car today. I obviously can't see if the chain is stretched, but I saw the scoring on valve cover and camshafts.
I too don't believe the missed maintenance has anything to do with the failure, unfortunately it has everything to do with the fact VW is not offering compensation.
Even more, oil & filter were preventively changed when I purchased the car, but this was not logged as a maintenance (and too late anyway, dealer says the 1 year maintenance needs to be done regardless of mileage)

Really, I feel the dealer is doing his best, he is the one who got the 20% compensation for me. But 80% of 14k euro is still too much.

See below.