GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Engine failures

jdell801

I was driving to work the other morning. About 5 minutes of driving my epc light comes on and a message pops up saying 4000 max rpms allowed. So I pull Into gas station about 900 feat from when the light came on my oil pressure light comes on as I’m pulling in I park look and all my oil is dumping out. I got my car towed to my house and I pull my undercover off and there’s some reddish orange fluid that’s has hardened up and oil all over my oil pan. Anyone know what could be wrong? Maybe a head gasket? Or transmission issue? I drive a 6 speed manual 2016 gti autobahn. I have a picture if needed

Wazzu70

It actually does take a lot to trip the misfire sensor in the top of the cylinder. I think they're compensating for the mk fives that would trip a cel once two misfires happened..

My 2015 has random misfires all the time according to obd. Typically a thirty minute drive will create 2-3 scattered misfires throughout all four. I think a little bit of random misfire is just the cost of modern day di. However, tunes do exasperate this.

FWIW, after 2005 the light duty regulations for misfire detection became more stringent. This could explain why the mk5 misfire disgnostic was very sensitive.

Current regulations require the misfire diagnostic to run at all engine speeds and all torque levels above the minimum torque to maintain the engine running (positive torque line) with some exceptions in the upper rev range.

In the low load range (generally cruise), including idle, it is very difficult to distinguish a misfire from normal combustion because the difference between very little torque generated an no torque generated is very small. This is where a lot of the false misfire detection occurs. To prevent the false detection from illuminating a MIL for misfire many manufacturers use an EWMA (Exponentionally Weighted Moving Average) to use a large sample size to make a good decision and not react to a few counts of false detection. If you look at the test results with a scan tool you should see the results from the previous drive cycle and current drive cycle so you can see how the system is performing. If you do not have a pending fault, you don’t have enough misfire counts to be concerned with.

Maybe more info than people want, but it might be interesting to some.

TLDR - a number of misfire counts is normal. If the number detected is small and no MIL is set then no worries.

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
Bumping this up since I’m seeing another large group of engines failures. Might be time to start the class action lawsuit. The mk6 just had the class action lawsuit against their engines go through, everyone was reimbursed.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Bumping this up since I’m seeing another large group of engines failures. Might be time to start the class action lawsuit. The mk6 just had the class action lawsuit against their engines go through, everyone was reimbursed.
Confirmation bias.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
And where exactly are you seeing this large group of failures?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I wonder what the true number of failures actually is.

If you gather up all internet sources of data (here, insta, facebook) I wonder what percentage of owners that represents.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wonder what the true number of failures actually is.

If you gather up all internet sources of data (here, insta, facebook) I wonder what percentage of owners that represents.

Surely a very small number compared to the total sold. And how many of the failures were a result of the mods? I would rather know the number of failures compared to the industry as a whole.

Sirksael

Going to bump this one again, got a total engine failure on my mk7 gti 2015.
The car was stock, a little over 20k miles on the clock and regularly maintained by me at vw dealer.
Timing chain stretch, camshaft and crank damaged.
When I say it was maintained "by me" at a VW dealer, I mean I purchased it second hand with 4000miles on the clock at another VW dealer in Germany. It was 1,5 years old. And, as it turns out now, it missed its first maintenance.
Despite the fact I could not know this, this is the reason VW is not offering any compensation.
All creds to the Belgian VW importer who is offering a 20% compensation, but alas I still cannot affort the repair cost after that. End of story for me...:cry:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This might be the first timing chain stretch failure I've seen. 4,000 miles without a service is nothing. I put 12k miles on my Saab before it's first change. Synthetic oil won't breakdown in 4k or 1.5 years. I don't see how the lack of an oil change in 2015 had anything to do with your timing chain. I think your dealer is full of shit.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Seems like there has to be more to the story. Nobody stretches a timing chain in 20k miles, I don't care if the car had 0 service.

Sirksael

Seems like there has to be more to the story. Nobody stretches a timing chain in 20k miles, I don't care if the car had 0 service.
Well, they showed me the car today. I obviously can't see if the chain is stretched, but I saw the scoring on valve cover and camshafts.
I too don't believe the missed maintenance has anything to do with the failure, unfortunately it has everything to do with the fact VW is not offering compensation.
Even more, oil & filter were preventively changed when I purchased the car, but this was not logged as a maintenance (and too late anyway, dealer says the 1 year maintenance needs to be done regardless of mileage)

Really, I feel the dealer is doing his best, he is the one who got the 20% compensation for me. But 80% of 14k euro is still too much.

Maybe some more info about "more to the story": the car did give me a low oil pressure warning just before I shut it off. I don't see how that is related to a stretched timing chain. At that moment the motor was already making screetching metal on metal sounds. Dealer tech says he has no idea about the root cause.

Last edited:

Sirksael

Isn't first maintenance at 10k miles? Even if the 1 year light comes on I thought dealerships will just reset the light.
Obviously, this seems to be what the Germam dealer did. But it is used as a reason for denying compensation (normally they offer 50% of the cost if car<6years and full maintenance records)