GOLFMKV

Possibly purchasing '18 golf r

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Congratulations!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Congrats on your purchase.

Aside from a little interior rattle that I can't figure out and a leaking thermostat housing, my R has been the best car I've ever owned. The interior is light years above its price point, and it's a much nicer car in all regards. You will see the small things over time.

Keep an eye on your coolant level and see if you can smell coolant after longer hotter drives. The thrmo housing / water pump tends to leak on these cars. Also make sure you do your maintenance on time. You are due for a Haldex service at 30k, and a DSG & spark plug service at 40k. If you're tuned, I'd replace the plugs more often than that. Somewhere in the ~10-20k range.

There's a screen inside of the Haldex pump that should be cleaned, so it's better if you disassemble the system, remove the screen & clean, reassemble, and then fill with fluid. Most places will just drain and fill, so it may be best to find an indy Euro shop that specializes in VWs for your services. You also need VCDS or OBD11 to do the DSG service. There is a specific routine and the trans has to be at a specific temp to perform the job properly.

All in all, I think you made a good buy albeit at a bad time. Enjoy the car!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Being from Canada can cause issues? That’s a first
1651186432942.jpeg

cb1111

Vw should warranty the car.
Mine was build in Mexico and so far so good…
What is the asking price ?
VW in the US will NOT honor the warranty on a Canadian car UNLESS you have Canadian plates on the car, live in canada, are on vacation in the US and need emergency repairs. The same holds true the other way around.

VW USA and VW Canada are two different companies.

If the dealership register/title the car, then it should meet US specs - although there may be some trim variants.

You are on your own with warranty though

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Apart from warranty issues, main concern is to check for rust on Canadian cars unless it’s from BC.

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Apart from warranty issues, main concern is to check for rust on Canadian cars unless it’s from BC.
I had the car in for inspection and they noted no rust or corrosion. Engine and water pump passed with flying colors. Installs of intake, Turbo inlet, downpipe, rear sway bar, plugs and likely intercooler will happen soon. :)

Vaderm3

Car(s)
Mk7 gti
My car is from Canada. The converted analog speedometer is messed up and is not accurate. Original kph one was replaced and mph markers and are not accurate to needle sweep. I rely on digital one.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
My car is from Canada. The converted analog speedometer is messed up and is not accurate. Original kph one was replaced and mph markers and are not accurate to needle sweep. I rely on digital one.
Probably want to get a new oem cluster from vw. If I remember right the non digital ones are around 600. You can install but tow to the dealer to do the work in odis and set the mileage in it.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Whoever just replaced the face plate markings without calibrating the speedo is an idiot.