GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possibly purchasing '18 golf r

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hi all, my first post here, my current daily driver is finally failing in me after 12 years. So I'm looking at a few 18-19 R's. One of them I'm looking at Saturday, I asked about the history, it's a clean carfax, no accidents, but it was a lease with only one person in Canada. (The car is in Michigan).

I plan on using this as a daily driver, I'll likely do some light upgrades (intake, stage 1 tune and maybe cat back exhaust) and maybe rims as I'm not a huge fan of the spiral design of the rims on it.

With that said, everything in the photos looks super clean, 28k miles, my main concern is it being a prior lease and being from Canada, as I've read that can cause issues?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Being from Canada can cause issues? That’s a first

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I understand, you are bringing it to the US and are worried about warranty not
Being covered outside Canada. Is that it?

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I understand, you are bringing it to the US and are worried about warranty not
Being covered outside Canada. Is that it?
It's actually at a dealership in Michigan. I live in Kentucky, I'm just up here visiting family and looking at cars. From what I've read that cars built in Canada could have issues with warranty work in the states. I'm not sure how true that is though.

Saturday I'm going to view the vehicle and give it a test drive.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Vw should warranty the car.
Mine was build in Mexico and so far so good…
What is the asking price ?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Besides I wouldn't get a first version of any car, I did it with a 2014 Mk7 GTI and it was a disaster.
On the bright side if it was a lease, it should be up to date with maintenance and the chances of being tune/modified should be low.

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Which dealer?

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's no warranty anymore if a Canada car is here or vice versa (US car in Canada).
That's kind of what i figured.. I'll address it tomorrow. The dealership is called motormall. If I don't get warm fuzzies from it there's others similar to it out there. But it does look really clean.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
1. If you care about having a warranty (one of the main reasons to pay the higher price for a lower mileage / newer car), you should look elsewhere

2. If you planned on tuning and modding anyway, it may not be a bad buy if the price is right. If it’s priced like other cars with similar age/mileage then definitely bring up the fact the 6 year / 72K warranty which makes the 18/19’s have higher resale value is in this case not applicable, which should give you more negotiating power. If they act like they’re sitting on a Lambo then walk

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks for the info, there's another golf r on the way home that is similar to the one I'm looking at (similar price, slightly lower mileage, but two owners instead of the one). So there's other options out there.

I've also been looking at 2018 amg gla 45's, they're a bit more, have a bit more hp, but I've heard horror stories about the transmissions. Plus every review I've watched and read said they preferred a golf r for a daily.

For mods, it'll be light as I've mentioned prior, if I want pure speed I have my ctsv that I have a a toy (currently in storage until I buy a house in my new location). But a spirited daily driver is my goal.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the info, there's another golf r on the way home that is similar to the one I'm looking at (similar price, slightly lower mileage, but two owners instead of the one). So there's other options out there.

I've also been looking at 2018 amg gla 45's, they're a bit more, have a bit more hp, but I've heard horror stories about the transmissions. Plus every review I've watched and read said they preferred a golf r for a daily.

For mods, it'll be light as I've mentioned prior, if I want pure speed I have my ctsv that I have a a toy (currently in storage until I buy a house in my new location). But a spirited daily driver is my goal.

another piece of advice: open up your search radius. Be willing to fly 1-2 hours for a car and make the equivalent drive back - it’s worth it for the right car