GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible to temporarily remove fog light from Alltrack?

MrFusion

Car(s)
2019 Alltrack 6mt
Hi all, is it possible to easily remove the driver's side fog light from my 2019 Alltrack? It seems that the previous owner did not properly install the bulb and when I had to go through some water in a recent flood, water got in to the housing. The bulb was on and shattered from the cold water. I'd like to remove the housing and properly clean it out if it doesn't mean removing the whole front bumper cover.

thanks!

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
If it helps, I've taken out the fog light housings from my GTI and it wasn't too bad. Essentially what you do is remove the front section of the wheel well liner and then you unscrew the light and maneuver it out. I do have the 2017 Alltrack shop manual and it seems to suggest that the wheel liner is all one piece unlike the GTI.. I attached some pics that will hopefully help. They may have changed stuff around for the facelift, but the fog lights look pretty much the same before and after.

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

cb1111

I have had a rear fog light on every German car I have owned but it seems no longer. My '15 Golf TDI had one but my '18 GTI does not. It isn't like we have a lot of fog where I live but on trips it came in handy a few times.
And what does this have to do with the OPs question?

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
If you want to remove the entire light housing, you will have to remove the front bumper cover as the housing is screwed in with 3 screws behind the cover (on the GSW at least, probably similar on the AT).

If you just want to replace the shattered bulb, you can easily remove the bulb by removing the round access cover in the front part of the wheel well (turning CCW) which allows you to unplug the fog light harness connector and remove/exchange the bulb. If you have a tiny flexible vacuum hose attachment you might even be lucky enough to get into the housing to remove some of the shattered glass?

ottobon100

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI "S"
Calling people Karen, then deleting the comment and reporting the post. LOL
After thinking about that for 10 seconds I felt that post was inappropriate, undeserved and deleted it. cb1111 was correct. Your search of my deleted post and repost that I had made in haste and then deleted was inappropriate. To cb1111, MrFusion and 2018gti my apology.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
After thinking about that for 10 seconds I felt that post was inappropriate, undeserved and deleted it. cb1111 was correct. Your search of my deleted post and repost that I had made in haste and then deleted was inappropriate. To cb1111 my apology.
Jay745 is a forum moderator.

MrFusion

Car(s)
2019 Alltrack 6mt
Just updating this thread. I was able to replace my fog light, and the 2019 Alltrack does have a multi-piece fender liner, so it wasn't too bad to access it. The strange thing is the tab on the front of the fog light is hard to dislodge from the bumper cover. I'm not sure why the tab is necessary, but I had to tilt the fog light down after unscrewing it and then still it took some tugging before it would release. I had to get the new one in just the right position to get it the tab back into the slot. I'm sure with the bumper cover off this is no problem, but it's a little tricky with it on.