GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible (?) MIB2 DIY retrofit (including CP bypass and Fec's enabling)

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Agreed, if you know your way you can buy complete software solution for Harman and Delphi. But hey i'm the IT guy, so I can decompress a file, change 3 bits in a ifs-root.ifs file, compress it and upload it. It's not a money thing...... it's education!
From one IT guy to another, thanks for not being a dick and keeping everything to yourself.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Agreed, if you know your way you can buy complete software solution for Harman and Delphi. But hey i'm the IT guy, so I can decompress a file, change 3 bits in a ifs-root.ifs file, compress it and upload it. It's not a money thing...... it's education!
Hmm,are you sure that it is ifs-root.ifs that you are changing?

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
No,I am strictly against it :)
You dont even want to know what troubles it causes it in Delphi units...

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
If the root password changed on this newly released version 1462 software, even with hashcat and good GPU, I imagine it might take a while to determine the password from /etc/shadow_rcc by brute force.

Can you install MIB2 Toolbox (Great Tool from a Dutch guy/Member of this forum)? One of the options in MIB information is password finder. Don't know how fast this one is, you have to find out for yourself.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
It compares the passwords with known hashes inside the toolbox.Works on EU units.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Can you install MIB2 Toolbox (Great Tool from a Dutch guy/Member of this forum)? One of the options in MIB information is password finder. Don't know how fast this one is, you have to find out for yourself.

Thanks for the mention ;)

If there's an unknown password, just replace the shadow file (with the toolbox or by going into emergency mode)

Bossworld

Car(s)
Golf Cabriolet
Thank you for this thread, I'm about to get a car with the MIB2 in it (albeit in PQ form) and while I don't begrudge paying a coder £100, I wanted to know how involved the process was as it seems to be closely guarded. Think it's probably worth contracting it out, just slightly concerned about being left with errors on 5F or a VW dealer overwriting the mod.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thank you for this thread, I'm about to get a car with the MIB2 in it (albeit in PQ form) and while I don't begrudge paying a coder £100, I wanted to know how involved the process was as it seems to be closely guarded. Think it's probably worth contracting it out, just slightly concerned about being left with errors on 5F or a VW dealer overwriting the mod.
If done properly then there's no errors.

Bossworld

Car(s)
Golf Cabriolet
If done properly then there's no errors.
Cool, there was someone up in the North East offering the service online so just waiting to get my mitts on the car (and checking it doesn't have it built in obviously!) Have lost so many hours to researching all this stuff, USB ports, MIB 1 vs MIB2, all the rest really.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Cool, there was someone up in the North East offering the service online so just waiting to get my mitts on the car (and checking it doesn't have it built in obviously!) Have lost so many hours to researching all this stuff, USB ports, MIB 1 vs MIB2, all the rest really.
Is it Ryan you're talking about? He's a top bloke.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
As most of you guys know, retrofitting an MIB2 unit on a MIB1 mk7 was always a problem because of CP and Fec's (especially if you are on a budget). As of now, there are a few people on the internet that can remotely remove CP and enable all Fec's for a substantial sum of money (aprox. 250-300 euros) either by ODIS online or by hacking the unit.

When you consider the ODIS service subscription ($900), cost of CarPlay FeC ($208), and the persons expertise; 250-300 euros is a bargain.
For a straight head unit swap it cost me 20 Euros for CP removal and FeC install. The CarPlay FeC was already associated with my VIN as I had previously purchased when I did the initial MIB1 to MIB2 conversion. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/ The low cost may be because I have developed a solid relationship with Jack. Normally it is 85 Euros/hour and is done within an hour which I do not consider a "substantial sum of money". Most of the cost you are quoting "(aprox. 250-300 euros)" is for the purchase of the CarPlay FeC from VW thru ODIS. Additionally, if the installation is done properly (head unit matched with gateway, FeC stored in VW FAZIK database) the ODIS service subscription is $900.

These are FeC costs from a few years ago when I researched.
For reference, these are the FeC’s I know of:
5G0054830A - App-Connect $208
5G0054809 - Driving Modes. $118
5G0054802 - Voice Activation. $138.
5G0054802A - Voice Activation with Navigation. $230

Last edited:

Bossworld

Car(s)
Golf Cabriolet
Is it Ryan you're talking about? He's a top bloke.
Yes I believe so (North East VAG adaptations). As above I've no qualms with handing over the money (well aside from the previous point about outstanding errors that you've said should be cleared if done properly) but I cut my teeth in the GSM scene of the early 2000s. A time when you had to know your M-BUS from your F-BUS, bricks were a real danger and YouTube wasn't a thing to turn everyone into 'phone modders'.

Still trying to work out what's best to own in terms of OBDeleven/VCDS etc. (I've currently got ISTA and Rheingold and the like for my other car, a Mini) but just wondered if I was going to end up having the tech to do it by buying those things anyway. Seems not.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR

If you are already getting the car with it,what do you want exactly?

VW cant overwrite the modifications on PQ units.

Bossworld

Car(s)
Golf Cabriolet
If you are already getting the car with it,what do you want exactly?

VW cant overwrite the modifications on PQ units.
As above, I was trying to ascertain how involved the activation process is, and this thread is one of the few places that actually goes into the detail.

In terms of rationale for buying VCDS - I’ve got the BMW equivalent which I’ve used for changing the welcome lights, enabling VIM, bleeding the ABS, coding a new battery etc. Seems it will probably pay for itself in the long run but it’s not going to be that helpful in terms of getting app-connect activated on its own.